Boomer 50 Price Check

/ Boomer 50 Price Check #1  

ktmsmith

Tractor
New Holland 1630
Hello all,

I am a new member who is looking to replace my NH 1630 which I purchased new about 15 years ago. I have been looking at the Boomer 50 and comparable Kubota's. I am looking to update to a more modern, featured unit with more power, easier transmission and an FEL which I should have gotten years ago. I have 15 acres of which 2 acres are what I call the good yard, and about 5 that are field, the rest are wooded. I bought the property 20 years ago and built our home. All the hard land work is done now so this new tractor will likely be the last one I will need.
I purchased the 1630 without doing any research just trusting the local NH dealer to advise what would work for me. I can say that I have received exceptional service from them and this factors heavily in my purchase decision and as an added bonus they are about 15 minutes from my home. So if I go NH I would prefer to deal with them. The dealer doesn't have one on the lot but has located a new 2103 Boomer 50 ROPS with HST and R4 tires, 250TLA loader with quick attach, one rear remote, block heater and rear light. He quoted $33,754 if I take the 60 month financing or another $1,000 of if I pay cash. The quote just for the tractor was $26,228 and the loader was $6,151. He has offered me $13,579 for my 1630 so if I financed my net cost would be $20,175. My 1630 has less than 700 hours and is in good shape, 4wd, standard shift, turf tires, nothing fancy, no fel. Based on my limited research it looks like he is giving me considerably more than I could ever hope to sell my 1630 for outright, so I imagine he has left a lot of room on his Boomer quote, which is fine because as the end of the day I only care about my net cost. I don't want to mess around trying to sell the 1630 but I also don't want to pay to much for the new unit.

So......what does the collective wisdom of this group think about the quote? I am not trying to put the screws to the dealer, but I also don't want to leave a bunch of money on the table because I didn't do my homework. I want it to be fair to both parties and continue what has been a positive NH ownership experience. Thanks in advance for your insight.

/ Boomer 50 Price Check #2  
First off, welcome! Now, the less pleasant part...

That is absolutely the worst "deal" I've seen anybody talk about on a Boomer 50....bar none! A couple of things as background for you: Are you aware that NH doesn't make the Boomer 50? It's made by LS MTron, which is a spinoff of (and owned by) the LG family of companies. LS tractors are sold in this country under their own name now, and a Boomer 50 is exactly the same machine as an LS R4047, which a fair number of TBN folks have. NH does use a loader that they source themselves (it has a lot less lift capacity, and breakout force, but a bit higher lift height), so that and the decals/lights/grille are the sum total differences between one you buy from NH, and one you buy from LS.

So, if you want to compare apples-to-apples, my dealer is advertising the last of their LS R4047H (hydrostatic tranny) machines with the following setup: FEL w/SSQA (quick attach) 72" bucket, two rear remotes, draft control for the 3pt, extendable lift arms and stabilizer arms, rear work light, 7-pin trailer connection, R4 tires (but they will change to R1 if you want), and everything else the same....tilt steering wheel, cruise control, ROPS, etc. Their advertised price is a touch over $22,500 right now. I paid $21,500 for the same setup last January.

You would basically be giving him your 1630 for free in that deal, and he's still making money on the Boomer! There are some regional price differences, but you're only about 3 hours from me, so it's not going to be huge....a couple of hundred dollars.

When I was shopping, I called a NH dealer in OH (the closest one to me), and he quoted just over $31K equipped the way the LS is, so I didn't even bother trying to haggle him down at all (some folks simply won't believe the quote I got was real, so I'm actually kind of glad to see your dealer was even higher).

I would call Mendenhall Farms in Dennison and see if they have any 4047s left, and get a quote...looks like they're maybe 15-20 miles from you. With the huge difference in price, you could keep your 1630, and still have the same payment, or less!

/ Boomer 50 Price Check #4  
Gman is right on. I looked at the Boomer 25 and 30 and really liked them. Then I looked at the Mahindra 28, Kubota, JD then the comparable Massey. I loved the little NH. Got a quote and then one afternoon I was in a close by area that I hadn't been in a while. I had totally forgotten that there was an old but really small equipment dealership there and they had the little blue tractors there. I stopped thinking that they were all NH. Wait a minute these say LS on them?????? Talked to the guy that runs the dealership. I actually used to work for him about 12 years ago. He explains to me that he dropped NH and carries the LS line now because his primary business are the compacts. He explains that LS builds the small NH. Its the same tractor with a little darker blue and different decals and almost 4k less. If you want a smaller NH check out LS. I picked mine up Tuesday. Used it for the first real work today. Love it

/ Boomer 50 Price Check
Thanks for the insight guys. You have given me a lot to consider and I am glad I asked!! I plan on taking a look at the LS's this weekend as well as stopping by the Kubota dealership. At this point I am not sure what unit I will end up with as I am not beholden to any particular manufacture. It is true that I have had a good experience with my current NH tractor and dealer, but as the Boomer is just a rebranded LS, then I am not sure paying a super premium for the NH makes any sense.

As of yet, I haven't engaged my local NH dealer in any negotiations, and even though I suspect that there is too much real estate between his initial offer and what I think is reasonable, I will probably go through the process anyway. I know I need to separate the Boomer price from the trade in of my 1630, just like when buying a car. Does anybody have an idea what a realistic trade in allowance would be for my 1630? Is the trade in loss for a tractor anything like the used car market? I have no idea how hard it would be to find a buyer for my tractor and what I could expect to get for it in a private sale arrangement vs. a trade in but I would probably prefer the ease of a trade in with the tax savings vs. the hassle of a private sale.

Thanks again in advance for the help.

/ Boomer 50 Price Check #6  
The Kubotas are really well made machines. I looked at them all. JD,Massey,NH, Mahindra, and Kubota. They are fine machines. I really like the NH best but when I found they were just rebranded LS and then did some research on my own to confirm it, it just seemed to be the best deal for me. I don't think you can wrong with any of the major brands. Used tractors are far and few between around my area. They are either almost new and for just a few bucks more you can get the new one or ragged out. You shouldn't have much trouble selling yours if it's in decent shape. Enjoy your tractor shopping!

/ Boomer 50 Price Check #7  
Looks like this deal is done on mine, just have to transport it down to Nebraska and wrap it up.

The LS tractors are very durable & reliable, and you will have a hard time finding any real problems with them. I've kept tabs on them in the LS, Case & NH sections ... and you just don't see issues with them.

I'm hoping my new Massey is as tough & reliable as my LS I'll be parting with.

/ Boomer 50 Price Check #8  
I don't know why New Holland prices vary so much from one part of the country to another. I've never seen such a dramatic fluxuation in pricing the same machine. In 05 I was in the market for a new skid steer. I was quoted $38K for it. I'm all for supporting my local dealer but I saved over $8 buying down south. I just dont get it. I traded that off for a track loader and now have a new powerstar and went through the same thing with that. Again bought it down south and saved myself almost $6k. I wont even go to my local dealer for filters or oil anymore. It's to bad but the sales crew is a joke for the most part because the parts dept seemed ok. I just can't rest my head on the pillow feeling I got screwed. That price does seem very high on the boomer 50. Sorry to get side tracked and vent on you all but the price gap pisses me off. lol

/ Boomer 50 Price Check #9  
Putting the LS option aside for a moment, how does the OP's original quote measure up just comparing NH to NH?

It's not so straightforward, because as he realizes a trade-in value is involved and he doesn't want to do a private sale. Like he said,
He has offered me $13,579 for my 1630 so if I financed my net cost would be $20,175. My 1630 has less than 700 hours and is in good shape, 4wd, standard shift, turf tires, nothing fancy, no fel. Based on my limited research it looks like he is giving me considerably more than I could ever hope to sell my 1630 for outright

We all know a dealer can't offer you considerably more than you can get retailing yourself and still give a rock-bottom price on the new machine at the same time. The OP realizes it's the net-net that counts. So what I'd like to know (and maybe the OP) how bad of a deal has been offered taking into account the inflated trade value and only comparing NH dealer to NH dealer?

As diggerd said above, quoted prices seem to vary crazily.
I don't know why New Holland prices vary so much from one part of the country to another. I've never seen such a dramatic fluxuation in pricing the same machine. In 05 I was in the market for a new skid steer. I was quoted $38K for it. I'm all for supporting my local dealer but I saved over $8 buying down south. I just dont get it...now have a new powerstar and went through the same thing with that. Again bought it down south and saved myself almost $6k...

In the end the OP will have to decide if he may be willing to spend somewhat more to stay with his current dealer and still not feel screwed over, or else look and buy elsewhere at a different brand or dealer. I have found that the trade-in scenario can complicate things a little and usually requires somewhat more shopping around, but it's not insurmountable.

/ Boomer 50 Price Check #10  
I don't know why New Holland prices vary so much from one part of the country to another. I've never seen such a dramatic fluxuation in pricing the same machine. In 05 I was in the market for a new skid steer. I was quoted $38K for it. I'm all for supporting my local dealer but I saved over $8 buying down south. I just dont get it. I traded that off for a track loader and now have a new powerstar and went through the same thing with that. Again bought it down south and saved myself almost $6k. I wont even go to my local dealer for filters or oil anymore. It's to bad but the sales crew is a joke for the most part because the parts dept seemed ok. I just can't rest my head on the pillow feeling I got screwed. That price does seem very high on the boomer 50. Sorry to get side tracked and vent on you all but the price gap pisses me off. lol
As a corollary to this, did you ever notice that when you go to a site like Tractorhouse.com the majority of the ads are in southern regions of the U.S.? This is especially true of the dealer ads, You see a lot of TX, SC, GA, AR, etc. and only a handful from NE or upper midwest. I don't know what the reason is but that's the way it seems to be.