TN65 - what comes with the electro-hydro shuttle?

/ TN65 - what comes with the electro-hydro shuttle? #1  

mahlers

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TN70S
I've decided to get a TN65, and I was originally going to go with the basic 8x8 mechanical shuttle but then started thinking about all the trenching, grading, and box-blading I'm going to do so I decided that the 16x16 trans would be a better fit. I'm also going to do a ton of loader work, and I'm intrigued by the power shuttle system. It looks like a very stout system and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money. The dealer tells me that the 16x16 power shuttle is about $2K more than the basic 8x8 synchro and I'm wondering whether it's worth it or not.

The documentation on the TN65 says that the power shuttle comes with a bigger capacity power steering pump (9 gpm vs. 7 gpm), but I've heard on this board that you also get the bigger (16 gpm) main pump along with a fluid cooler. If that's the case, then it might be worth it - anyone know for sure?

Thanks very much for the help.

/ TN65 - what comes with the electro-hydro shuttle? #2  
Re: TN65 - what comes with the electro-hydro shutt

I have a TN75D with the 16x16 electro hydro shuttle trans and love it. It operates very smoothly for loader and blade type work. The 75's come with the larger pump but to my knowledge it is an option of the 55's and 65's. Here is a quote from the New Holland specs "Impressive hydraulic flow — the most offered in this power class — gives you the fastest response in the industry. A high-volume hydraulic pump delivers 12.4 gpm to the 3-point hitch and remote valves. A 16.9 gpm pump is standard on models TN75, TN75D and TN75S and optional on all other models. A second pump delivers 7.2 gpm (9.2 gpm for tractors equipped with power shuttle), for the power steering, FWD engagement, differential lock engagement and lubricating the transmission. "
I think some dealers order in the 16.9 pump option on the 65's and the users just end up thinking it came standard since there are no "window stickers" on tractors like cars have.

Andy

/ TN65 - what comes with the electro-hydro shuttle? #3  
I have not had a NH, but I have had a manual shuttle and now have a power shuttle. It is like day and night. The power shuttle is fantastic. The best use is for loader work. Just flip the lever and go the other direction. As far as the higher output steering pump goes, usually with power shuttles the flow is greater, because the steering pump normally also provides the flow for the shuttle clutches.

/ TN65 - what comes with the electro-hydro shuttle? #4  

I agree with Jerry. It's the same with New Holland. The Power Steering pump (which is larger) provides the needed power.

And it is like "night and day"

Andy

/ TN65 - what comes with the electro-hydro shuttle? #5  
From a dealers standpoint you should make sure yours has sold a few with the power shuttle. These tend to have a higher average of problems because of the electronics. Make sure he knows how to back you up if there is a problem. This is a great transmission but it does have its quirks and the dealer needs to know how to service it.

/ TN65 - what comes with the electro-hydro shuttle? #6  

I for one am sure aware of the electrical/computer problems. My original TN75S was taken back by New Holland and replaced with my current TN75D because of repeated computer glitches that would effectively put the trans in neutral and not allow it to shift when the machine was used at night (large lighting load lowered system voltage) in the rain (some kind of moisture problem). New Holland had dealer meeting with some of their larger dealers on this problem and to the best of my knowledge have resolved the design issues and made changes so that they don't occur. My tractor was replaced and the new one has been perfect. As I've stated before I didn't go for the SuperSteer on the replacement since I didn't like the way it worked for loader operation and I wasn't doing enough mowing and field work where I needed it.

Given a choice on a new tractor I'd definately buy the Electro Power Shuttle again.

Andy

/ TN65 - what comes with the electro-hydro shuttle?

Thanks very much for the information, Andy. From what I can see, the power shuttle looks like a great system.

Somewhat off topic - about what does a TN75 go for? The TN65 basic 8x8 is about $20K for the tractor alone, and I'm wondering what the cost would be if I upgraded to the turbo-beast. I could ask my dealer, but I think I'm already driving them crazy with questions, changes in options, etc.

Thanks,
Martin

/ TN65 - what comes with the electro-hydro shuttle? #8  

Well they are not perfect yet the one we sold in august with power shuttle is having a few problems. So I guess you have been lucky!

/ TN65 - what comes with the electro-hydro shuttle? #9  
I've got a TN65 4x4 with 8x8 Synchro-command and I love it. After just a little time behind the wheel, you will become adept at using the shuttle and won't know the difference. The "synchro" allows you to go from forward to reverse (or reverse to forward) without stopping, which makes loader work easy.

I've never driven the 16x16, so I can't comment on whether its worth the extra $2k or not.

That's my $0.02.

-E

/ TN65 - what comes with the electro-hydro shuttle?
Thanks - I haven't driven the 16x16 yet either, but since I'll be running a trencher behind the tractor it seems like a good thing to have. I think the move from an 8x8 mechanical shuttle to the 16x16 mechanical is just an extra $500 or so, so it's not too expensive. The electro-hydro unit, on the other hand, seems pretty steep. The TN65 shifts so nice that I doubt I'd really need it, but it seems to come with some nice bells and whistles that make it attractive. And, since they use the same wet clutch-pack on the TN65 as they use on the TN75, I suspect it will last forever with the lower powered TN65.