Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    115
    Location
    Kentucky
    Tractor
    MF 4610 Workmaster 55

    Default Workmaster 45 review or owners?

    Looking at getting a bare bones tractor for some hay raking, running a tiller and some light brush hogging with a 6ft cutter. I don't need a loader or 4x4. The price on this tractor is very appealing but I can't find much info on people that actually own it. Can someone chime in and let me know what they think or if there is another tractor I should take a look at? I priced the JD 5045d but it was 4k more.

  2. #2
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    236
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Tractor
    tn75s, tc33d, mc35, gt65, 6640, 3010s, TS110, TS115, TN70, Massey 5470

    Default Re: Workmaster 45 review or owners?

    The WM 45 is an actual CNH product. I looked at one and unless I am mistaken only gears 3 and 4 are synchronized. The WM 35 and 40 are rebadged LS tractors, but I am pretty sure 45 and up are actual CNH tractors. The lack of synchro was a deal killer for me. I have a 3010S NH that I bought because my dealer sold it to me for less than a new FEL would have been for my TN75S. It has been reliable, but the lack of synchro except for 3 and 4 really gets on my nerves. Have you looked at Mahindra and LS? What about MF...I followed your posts on the 4600's over there? Hard to buy a bad tractor in this day and time and a man can never have too many!! I think in this HP range you should look hard at a hydrostatic tranny....you will like that a lot more and the price is not too much more

  3. #3
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    115
    Location
    Kentucky
    Tractor
    MF 4610 Workmaster 55

    Default Re: Workmaster 45 review or owners?

    Quote Originally Posted by ironpen View Post
    The WM 45 is an actual CNH product. I looked at one and unless I am mistaken only gears 3 and 4 are synchronized. The WM 35 and 40 are rebadged LS tractors, but I am pretty sure 45 and up are actual CNH tractors. The lack of synchro was a deal killer for me. I have a 3010S NH that I bought because my dealer sold it to me for less than a new FEL would have been for my TN75S. It has been reliable, but the lack of synchro except for 3 and 4 really gets on my nerves. Have you looked at Mahindra and LS? What about MF...I followed your posts on the 4600's over there? Hard to buy a bad tractor in this day and time and a man can never have too many!! I think in this HP range you should look hard at a hydrostatic tranny....you will like that a lot more and the price is not too much more
    I really like my 4610 btw but just need something smaller for some other little jobs. I have just started looking but the price of the WM 45 is what had me interested. It is quite a bit less than the JD and MF. I'm still waiting on kubota to get back to me and I have not looked at Mahindra because the closest dealer is a ways from me.

    Here is what it says about the transmission.
    8Fx8R with 4 constant mesh gears, 2 constant mesh ranges and synchronized shuttle

    Link to specs. http://agriculture.newholland.com/us...elversion.aspx

  4. #4
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    447
    Location
    NY

    Default Re: Workmaster 45 review or owners?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
    I really like my 4610 btw but just need something smaller for some other little jobs. I have just started looking but the price of the WM 45 is what had me interested. It is quite a bit less than the JD and MF. I'm still waiting on kubota to get back to me and I have not looked at Mahindra because the closest dealer is a ways from me.

    Here is what it says about the transmission.
    8Fx8R with 4 constant mesh gears, 2 constant mesh ranges and synchronized shuttle

    Link to specs. Agricultural-Tractors New Holland Workmaster - Models, technical data and characteristics
    Just curious, what Kubota model will you be comparing to?
    Also, if you are looking at WM45 you should really consider moving up to WM55. Same basic tractor but more hp, much higher 3pt capacity, plus draft control.

  5. #5
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    115
    Location
    Kentucky
    Tractor
    MF 4610 Workmaster 55

    Default Re: Workmaster 45 review or owners?

    Quote Originally Posted by downslope View Post
    Just curious, what kubota model will you be comparing to?
    Also, if you are looking at WM45 you should really consider moving up to WM55. Same basic tractor but more hp, much higher 3pt capacity, plus draft control.
    The L4600.

  6. #6
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    447
    Location
    NY

    Default Re: Workmaster 45 review or owners?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
    The L4600.
    I believe the kubota L has smaller tires (lower to ground) and less adjustment to the wheel tread (narrower). Don't know if that matters to you or not, but I prefer the 28" wheels on the WM.

  7. #7
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    115
    Location
    Kentucky
    Tractor
    MF 4610 Workmaster 55

    Default Re: Workmaster 45 review or owners?

    Quote Originally Posted by downslope View Post
    I believe the kubota L has smaller tires (lower to ground) and less adjustment to the wheel tread (narrower). Don't know if that matters to you or not, but I prefer the 28" wheels on the WM.
    Well yesterday I ran across a used Kioti ds4510 with loader. It's a little more than either of those two but it may be more versatile and have better resale.

  8. #8
    Super Member Robert_in_NY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    8,435
    Location
    Silver Creek, NY
    Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

    Default

    I have the red version of then 45 and love it. Use it for tedding/raking and have a post pounder mounted to it for in the vineyard. The 45 is plenty powerful for what I use it for. It uses very little fuel, is extremely comfortable and very user friendly for attaching implements by yourself. Mine is 2wd and the synchronized gears is a non issue as for my uses I pick a gear and stay with it. Don't need to shift on the fly.

    I like mine so much I want to add another one. Their also extremely quiet. I just can't say enough good things about this tractor.


    God must love stupid people; He made so many

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,044
    Location
    Western KY
    Tractor
    Multiple

    Default Re: Workmaster 45 review or owners?

    Used a wm55 a little. Only problem was had some trouble getting the reverser to stay in reverse with a heavy load you had to hold the handle back. But that ended up being a cable that needed adjustment and it has worked fine. Good little tractor. For what your wanting I would suggest going to a 4wd for the bushhoging.

  10. #10
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    115
    Location
    Kentucky
    Tractor
    MF 4610 Workmaster 55

    Default Re: Workmaster 45 review or owners?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_in_NY View Post
    I have the red version of then 45 and love it. Use it for tedding/raking and have a post pounder mounted to it for in the vineyard. The 45 is plenty powerful for what I use it for. It uses very little fuel, is extremely comfortable and very user friendly for attaching implements by yourself. Mine is 2wd and the synchronized gears is a non issue as for my uses I pick a gear and stay with it. Don't need to shift on the fly.

    I like mine so much I want to add another one. Their also extremely quiet. I just can't say enough good things about this tractor.
    How do you think this tractor would handle a 6ft cutter? Would it need front end weights?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how well built are Workmaster 55
    By SETexan in forum New Holland Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-17-2015, 12:35 PM
  2. workmaster 55
    By Teaspoon in forum New Holland Owning/Operating
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 09:26 AM
  3. workmaster 55
    By mersy in forum New Holland Ag Tractors
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2011, 09:59 PM
  4. Workmaster 55??
    By Jwhitehead23 in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 11:05 AM
  5. Return of the Workmaster
    By dgl24087 in forum New Holland Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 08:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.