TC24D Wheel Options

/ TC24D Wheel Options #1  

Trouser Bark

Bronze Member
Tractor
'03 TC24D
I've notice two sizes of tires shown in brochures for the TC24D. Mine came w/ the smaller of the two R4 sizes available. My question is ...is this a misprint? I don't see how the larger sized tires would fit.

/ TC24D Wheel Options #2  
I only see one size of R4's listed for a TC24D. 23x8.50-12 Front and 12x16.5 rear. What size does your tractor have. I see 2 sizes for R1's and 1 size for turfs.

Andy

/ TC24D Wheel Options
I'm exposing my ignorance here, Andy. I actually don't know that it's R4's that I have ...that was an assumption. I have standard industrials on mine and in the literature the tractor is shown to have the same size wheel and tire combo as the TC33D. Mine however, has the same size wheel / tire combo as the 18's & 21's which clearly doesn't jive with what the factory cut sheet shows.

I cleared a 300' (or so) hillside gravel driveway of snow today w/ mine and the taller tire would definitely be trickier.

/ TC24D Wheel Options #4  
I'm not sure what brochure you're looking at, but I believe the TC18, 21 and 24 are the same chassis and use the same wheel combinations. That i swhat my brochure shows. The TC29 and TC 33 are a larger frame size. R4 is the technical designation for Industrial tires so you are correct there. If you were looking at TC33 sizes they would be too large.

Andy

/ TC24D Wheel Options
The attachment illustrates what I mean, Andy. I snipped this directly from New Holland's web site. This is the way all of their promotional literature reads.

During my dream phase of looking at literature and considering different models I thought that the larger tires would be the hot setup. But the ground clearance was always listed as if the smaller tires were standard. I'm betting this is an error that somehow made it into all their literature re: TC24D. Sure like the tractor though regardless of tire size.

Attachments

• 342371-TC24D tires.jpg
    342371-TC24D tires.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 284
   / TC24D Wheel Options #6  
I think it's a typo....

Mark

/ TC24D Wheel Options #7  
Do you want to bet, when they discontinued the TC25 they stuck the TC24 in the same place on the spreadsheet and forgot to update all of the specs?

/ TC24D Wheel Options #8  
I also suspect it's a typo. The printed brochure is not the same as the page you've included from the web. If you look at the specs you included you'll note some inconsistencies in the TC24 tires sizes. Some of them come from the TC18, TC21 side and others come from the TC29, TC33 side. I'm glad you like you tractor. I've had 5 Ford/ New Hollands and they've all served me well.

Andy

/ TC24D Wheel Options
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do you want to bet, when they discontinued the TC25 they stuck the TC24 in the same place on the spreadsheet and forgot to update all of the specs? )</font>

...but then you'd think the ground clearance s/b listed differently, no?

/ TC24D Wheel Options #10  
I have (had?) a "collection" of brochures from my shopping around. I was always interested in turfs so that is what I paid attention to and depending on the brochure they were listed as 29x12.00-15 or 31x13.5-15. I thought it might be dependent on age of the brochure where they introduced the line with the smaller tires, then decided to use a larger size.

My operator's manual which is for a TC21D or TC24D (I have the 24), also lists both sizes, one or the other, throughout the manual especially in the specs section. My machine came with the 31x13.5-15.

Another interesting point - there have been discussions here and also stated in the manual that you can adjust the tread setting by dishing in or out. I had mine off to fix a leak and get them loaded and tried dished in, there is only one way the 31x13.5-15 can go on - dished out for the wider setting. Even at that, there is little clearance between the tire and fender for the chains. There is no way they could be mounted dished in, the bolts wouldn't even reach the hub!

So like I said, maybe the machine was originally designed for smaller tires than are currently being shipped.

Brad