Dealer How much discount '02 40D new on dealers' lot?

/ How much discount '02 40D new on dealers' lot? #1  

Tractorganic

Silver Member
Tractor
NH/TC40D SS; BCS 850, Brush Mower, Sulky, 'Tiller, Chipper, Snow Blower; JD X570-48-A
How much discount \'02 40D new on dealers\' lot?

How am I doing if the dealer will sell me a "new" '02 40D with supersteer for same as 03 without? Well; ok, he wants $500 extra. Any technical difference? Hey, please stop the chatter about the "soon to arrive" new 48's or whatever with more hydraulic capacity your making me second guess everything.
Thanks all.

/ How much discount '02 40D new on dealers' lot? #2  
Re: How much discount \'02 40D new on dealers\' lot?

Crispyfarmer, if you want a supersteer tractor, it's a good deal. Did you have supersteer in mind when you were looking for a tractor? If not, $500 less for a newer tractor seems like a good deal to me. It's all in what you need and want. Either tractor will help you do organic farming. Year model is about the last thing I'd be concerned with in a new tractor. If they both have no hours on the proofmeter, they are the same. With that $500 extra, you could get your dealer to put you a sealed battery in the '03 and still have money left over. Believe me, that's an important thing. I'd raise the hoods and look closely around the batteries on both tractors (in front, behind, below; remove battery and look at shelf) before taking delivery. If there is any evidence of acid leakage, you need to refuse to take delivery until the tractor is fixed. If you share the cost, your dealer might be more willing to put in a different battery. Good luck with your purchase. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ How much discount '02 40D new on dealers' lot? #3  

Jim is giving good advice on the sealed battery. When I got my TC-40D he forewarned me but I thought no, this battery issue thing would not affect me. When I got to 50 hours just a couple of weeks later it ALREADY had. Battery acid eats up a tractor real quick. Do yourself a favor; invest in a sealed battery like the Optima. You won't be sorry that you did later on.

/ How much discount '02 40D new on dealers' lot?

Thanks jinman.
I'm a grad of "learn the hard way U." A couple years back I hired a tractor man to jockey some logs around our farm via FEL mount forks (which I am glad to be getting soon). The logs were 15 to 20 ft.'ers and I wanted him to maneuver them between several nice specimen trees I wanted to keep. I watched him whack the butt ends into the keeper trees on his way to the landing area. He didn't miss gouging a-one and some have since died. No,... he didn't have a supersteer. Later on I stepped up from hand tools to a BCS two wheel tractor w/ HD rotary cutter and a sulky riding seat. Steering was by braking on l .or r. handle bar levers and/or direct leg and foot pressure on the yoke attached between sulky and drive wheels. What torture! Picture sittin astride a chopper (bike not heli) with stretch handlebars while leg pumping like a Kosack and down pressuring with your derrier (sp?). Tight turns were excruciating and difficult, often requiring several touch up passes. So, now that I'm somewhat spoiled re/ the "precision turning" of a small two wheeler, and have tight turn outs and favorite shrubs everywhere, I want the luxury of supersteer.
Also; I'm making terraced slopes for fruit growing to take advantage of a steep S.W. exposure subtended by a 50 ft. vertical cliff, and I want switchbacks to climb w/ tractor from level to level during excavation, and for terrace maintenance. I plan to start from bottom up w/ a landing on the cliff top taking advantage of a remaining row of trees which span the precipice for roll protection. There's nothing like learning on the edge to keep you focused. I'll post w/ pics in Projects forum. Advice welcomed.
Hey, the snow is here but the tractor isn't!

/ How much discount '02 40D new on dealers' lot? #5  

What do you plan to excavate with? Sounds like backhoe work to me.
Load the tires for stability and sit still and use the packhoe to dig out a section of the terrace and then go in and finishit with he front bucket.

Anyway that's how I'd do it. Using the loader to dig terraces is just too much for my heart to take /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Andy