Buying Advice TC45D...Going to look at one this week.

/ TC45D...Going to look at one this week. #1  

redbranch

Tractor
Kubota L3301
I've finally saved enough to buy a tractor. :) It has been a LONG time coming, but I'm really excited about finally being able to shop for one.

I've had a couple of years to research what I want, and have, over the last couple of decades, have driven and used several makes and models, so have a pretty good idea of what I like and what I don't. I've been borrowing my neighbor's TC35D on occasion and really like it, so was shopping for a used one when I found the TC45D at pretty much the same price as the TC35Ds I've found, and I love the idea of the extra HP. It's a one owner trade, 2001, bought from the same dealer that's selling it and all service records are available. 1700 hours, FEL, looks to be well cared for and in great shape, tires are almost new.

I've done a bunch of searching on here to write down issues to look for when I go to see it in person. I'm thinking that they would have mostly shown up and been dealt with by now, but will go over it carefully when I see it in person later this week.

Any and all suggestions appreciated as to additional advice. I'm just so pumped I can hardly stand it. :D

/ TC45D...Going to look at one this week. #2  
I like your choice of tractor
welcome aboard

/ TC45D...Going to look at one this week. #3  
Shuttle or HST? I'm not a big fan of 2-range HST setups on anything but lawn tractors. The big thing with most machines in that age range will be seals going bad/leaking, which may or may not be a big deal....steering cylinders that leak, 3pt lift that leaks down etc. It's not so much wear, as age for that sort of stuff. Do you have a firm price from them yet?

/ TC45D...Going to look at one this week.
HST. Most of my work is loader work, with just a little bit of trail mowing a couple times a year. I'll give the seals all a good look and check for other leaks when I'm there...thanks for reminding me to add that to my list. I do like the fact that the dealer selling it is the same place that it was purchased brand new from, and that they've done all the service work on it over the years.

We've negotiated a price for now, pending my looking at it in person, and I'll work from there if there are issues that need work. I haven't found one any lower as yet and I've looked all over via the used tractor sites and Craigslist. I especially like that it's within driving distance (as is the dealer), so even if I did find another that was cheaper but distant (which I haven't), I'd have to add the cost of shipping. Will hopefully get there on Friday.

/ TC45D...Going to look at one this week. #5  
Good luck, sounds great!

Well, that was a bust. Thanks to all the good info on here, I knew exactly what to look for. Thanks, all!

First, the "one owner" turned out to be a lumberyard where the tractor was used (and abused) by multiple employees...translated,that means "It's not mine, I didn't pay for it or have to fix it, so I don't care what I do to it".

List of problems:
Lack of hydraulic power in the FEL.
Corrosion on hydraulic lines
Exhaust rusted almost off
Front tires badly checked/weathered, when they said they were good.
Cruise non-functional
PTO clutch non-functional
Deck underfoot was badly rusted
Steps up into deck were all bent out of shape
Bucket edge was bent and crooked
Leaky seal...which the sales guy said just meant they must've forgotten to clean it (yeah, right..I just fell off the turnip truck)
Overall, just looked beat up and abused.

So...back to the drawing board to start searching again. :) I'm in no hurry...when the right tractor comes along, I'll pull the trigger.

Last edited:
   / TC45D...Going to look at one this week. #7  
Redbranch, Are you at all interested in a TC45 that is two-wheel drive and no loader but in excellent condition and just under 500 hours?

Thanks, but I really need the 4WD and loader. :) Appreciate the thought though!

/ TC45D...Going to look at one this week. #9  
you'll love these TC35DA or TC45DA. I've never needed more power for my 35DA. I pulled a big Skid Steer out of the mud from my neighbor last month. it was like pulling a tank, it didn't want to move. My FEL with heavy chain curled up and moved it 6in and after 4-5 those curled up, out came the Skid Steer. My neighbor was very happy to get it out since he was about to call a tow truck to come get it out.
good luck
gary

/ TC45D...Going to look at one this week. #10  
I have a 2004 TC35a (shuttle) with over 2600 hours on it. Have never had a SINGLE serious issue with this tractor since I bought slightly used with 300 hours. Does everything I need. Had I the money at the time, I would have gone with the 45. But, no regrets!