2 Ford 8N's at auction, what to look for?

/ 2 Ford 8N's at auction, what to look for? #1  

alexanderg23

Tractor
yanmar 1300d
There is an farm auction here locally, it a farmer selling his farm and retiring. He has 6 tractors, 2 are Ford 8N's. We're thinking about buying one.

Can yall tell me what I should look for to avoid and what I could be getting into with one? Also if they were in good working order, what would get a good price?

I've read about a star and diamond meaning the difference between steel and cast iron sleeves, but don't know which is better. There are several on CL local, so I don't have to buy one at auction unless it's a great price or something. On CL they are 2000-3000. I think there is also parts for 8N's go auction, If I get one what parts would be good to buy?

That's in advance any advice would be appreciated, good advise greatly appreciated.

/ 2 Ford 8N's at auction, what to look for? #2  
Since you say "any advice" I'll ask, why are you looking for an 8n? Personally I have 2 of them and I'd love to be rid of them. For the money you'll pay for one, you can spend a tiny bit more and get a better machine. I'm actively planning on selling both of mine and buying a 6 or 800 series Ford, or something similar. They're cute, that's for sure, but they don't have live power, live hydraulics, power steering, or enough gears.

/ 2 Ford 8N's at auction, what to look for?
We've got a Kubota with FEL and backhoe, we were just thinking we could get one cheap and not have to take the backhoe off the Kubota to use PTO implements, brush hog, tiller, disc. That was kind of our thinking.

There's also a Ford 5030 w FEL 2wd 1500/hr (out of price range). And a Case 255 2wd, (auction so finger crossed) 550 hours, would this be better than Ford 8N?

/ 2 Ford 8N's at auction, what to look for? #5  
We've got a Kubota with FEL and backhoe, we were just thinking we could get one cheap and not have to take the backhoe off the Kubota to use PTO implements, brush hog, tiller, disc. That was kind of our thinking.

I've run a brush hog on an 8N and it'll work, but it's far from the best setup. The lack of live power and live hydraulics can be a huge pain. I recall getting stuck one time in soft, uneven ground where the hog got hooked, and I had to disengage the PTO shaft so I could let the clutch out to raise the hog before putting it in gear to move. If I tried to let the clutch out with the shaft still attached the blades turned and hit the ground, stalling the engine....it was a mess.

The case 255 was available with a live PTO, which is a plus...not sure on live hydraulics, but I would guess so. I may be mistaken, but I thought that series (made by Mitsubishi) might be one that sourcing parts is getting difficult...I'd search on that.

/ 2 Ford 8N's at auction, what to look for? #6  
If the goal is to leave the hoe on the kubota and use the new tractor for PTO stuff, I'd be looking for something other than an 8n. No live hydraulics or PTO as others have mentioned.

AS far as what to look for, 1st make sure you are indeed looking at an 8n. Pretty evident by looking at the axle/wheel bolt pattern. I see A TON of 9n/2n's mis-represented on c-list all the time, claiming it is an 8n.

Then make sure it starts and runs good, and holds oil pressure at idle once warmed up. And just in general, make sure everything works and sounds good without a ton of weird noises or smoke.

Also check the condition of the front axle and steering components. Those get wore out and sloppy and can sometimes be dangerous in high gear going down the road.

Also look at the radius rods to see if they are straight. Seen alot of bent ones. Usually caused by dropping a front wheel in a ditch or blowout hole with some speed behind it.

There are hundreds of things to look over and check, and tons of things that "can" be wrong. But in general, you wont find an easier machine to work on. Your prices seem high though. 2000-3000 should buy one that is in EXCELLENT condition and possibly rebuilt. BUt it had better not have anything major wrong with it. Just an average condition old tractor that dont look perfect, and has some drips....thats a $1200-$1800 machine around here

/ 2 Ford 8N's at auction, what to look for? #7  
My dad and I grow vegetables. For 20 years he ran a tiller and a bush hog with the 8n. First gear is just too fast for those tasks. You'll end up having to make several passes with the tiller that would have been avoided with a different tractor. Same with the bush hog. In even medium length grass you'll be limited to zipping around the field taking 1-2' swaths instead of taking the full width of the mower. Going slower and doing the same amount of work is easier, safer, and more relaxing in my opinion.

/ 2 Ford 8N's at auction, what to look for? #8  
i would definitely look for something a little more practical with live lift and 2 stage clutch. The last 8N that any part of was at least 30 years ago and can still remember what a pain it was to use. But they are very popular for parade use as is my my Great Grandfather's 9N that I restored:thumbsup:

Sounds like great advise there guys that's a lot. We'll keep looking

/ 2 Ford 8N's at auction, what to look for? #10  
i would definitely look for something a little more practical with live lift and 2 stage clutch. The last 8N that any part of was at least 30 years ago and can still remember what a pain it was to use. But they are very popular for parade use as is my my Great Grandfather's 9N that I restored:thumbsup:
look at a FORDSON DEXTA From 1958 to 1964 or a better choice massey fergison 135 both have a perkins engine.