Looked at a TC40DA .... hmmm

/ Looked at a TC40DA .... hmmm #1  

tc35dforme

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC35D/16LA
Looked at a spanky clean TC40DA this morning at my local dealer. Not buying, just curious. Looks kinda funky. My thoughts as a 2 year TC owner for those that care /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

They've gone with some racy decal work ! Looks /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Can't say I like the new hood / front lights at all. My wife hated it.

The dash looks pretty modern with gauges that look all space-age, but then they plomp a big rotary light switch there.

The seat adjustment controls look much improved with bigger grab points and handles and a crank type spring ( weight compensation ) adjuster.

The other thing I didn't like was the new plastic grab bar mounted on the plastic fender ( aka JD 4X10 series ). It just doen't look too strong. I really like the steel bar bolted to the ROPS.

Other than a bunch of cosmetic stuff ( gray seat / more blue plastic / relocated rear lights ) the mechanicals still look about the same.

/ Looked at a TC40DA .... hmmm #2  
tc35dforme when I looked at the TC40DA I felt the very same way about the hood/lights. But then again it just might be a case that lot of folks just don't like change. I'll bet after a bit it just might be a case where the looks would just kind of grow on you. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Looked at a TC40DA .... hmmm
I hear that...maybe with time, but what really struck me is that the lights seemed lower than the old style. As if the problem with loader shadows wasn't bad enough !! I'd be curious to know if they've improved the lens geometry to get better light.

Even with the "need to get used to it look ", It does look like they've incorporated some more creature comforts.

/ Looked at a TC40DA .... hmmm #4  
I think the lighting is improved...according to the sales literature. The new lights are supposed to give more peripheral lighting so you not only can see straight ahead but also to the sides.

/ Looked at a TC40DA .... hmmm #5  
This is my first post. I am in the process of buying my first tractor. I read most of the post on this forum and have learned a lot about buying/operating tractors. I also bought and read the book.
Dealer has quoted a price for new TC40DA, 16LA loader, 951B 72" rotary cutter, 80 gal spray tank, 12' boom for 26.5k.
Fair price? Or I can do better?

/ Looked at a TC40DA .... hmmm
Welcome aboard !!

Ahh the old "is this a good price" question. We've all noticed some pretty wide variations in pricing with certain regional issues being extreme. We here in the Northeast tend to pay more for just about everything.

My advice....pick the tractor based on your needs and desires. After you have a model or two in mind, go ahead and spend some time shopping around. Get out and meet the dealers, look at their operation, see if you "click" with them, check out their service bay, parts inventory etc. After getting a few prices and completing a few tours, you'll know what's fair.

Remember there's more in the selling price than just the tractor !!!

Good luck!!!

/ Looked at a TC40DA .... hmmm #7  
Hi Cotton,

Welcome to TBN!

Not sure if that is a good price for that area, but I paid ~$25K for the following last spring:

TC40D
16LA FEL
Quick Attach
72" HD Bucket with bolt-on toothbar
Two rear remotes
Front bumper and armrests
Bobcat Pallet Forks
72" Landpride Boxblade
72" Rhino SE6 Cutter

I'm very happy with the setup.

/ Looked at a TC40DA .... hmmm #8  
Cotton here is what we picked up in late Oct.

TC-40D
Supersteer front axle
R-4s
17LA front loader w/quick attach
72" quick attach HD bucket 2 chain hooks welded to bucket
48" quick attach pallet forks
757C backhoe w/12" bucket
fiberglass canopy
grill guard
6 rear wheel weights
3-point weight bracket w/350 pounds of weight
delivery to my home & full tank of diesel
$28,197.00

Please do your shopping before you make your purchase. I had a dealer in my area try to get an extra 4K for the same equipped tractor. So, it really is possible to save a few bucks in the process. Good luck to you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Looked at a TC40DA .... hmmm #9  
Do you have loaded tires, wheel weights only or both? If weights only why did you go w/ that over loading the tires?

/ Looked at a TC40DA .... hmmm #10  
I think that TC40DA Tractor and 16LA loader should be around $22,500. That's even allowing $1000 for it being a new model. I'm not sure of the other specific pricing of attachments, but I'd sure be looking at getting some competitive quotes and doing some negotiation before paying that price.