Buying Advice boomer 47 vs NH 3050

/ boomer 47 vs NH 3050 #1  

Donnie Matthews

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I have had a New Holland TC40D for 10 years now with over 4000 hrs on it. It's been a great tractor. It has 2 ranges, and on the joystick it has a low and high for each range. When I want to travel a little ways I leave it in high and load the bucket, back up and turn the wheels, sling the front end around and take off. Start in low and shift on the fly to high. No waiting between forward and reverse. I am looking into the cvt on the 3050, but it looks like it may have lag for 1 or 2 seconds between forward and reverse. Will it do what I want in precise, but high speed moving?
Also, can I run 540 rpm on the pto to the tiller, and go from .5mph to 8 mph without changing rpm? Really want a little more hp and the cab, but I want to be able to maneuver in tight spaces and fine gradework. Looks like the 47 is a 3 range Hydrostatic transmission now, so I may be out on my electronic 2 speed.

/ boomer 47 vs NH 3050 #2  
Donnie M, there is lots of reading on tbn about the CVT transmissions. Please research carefully before buying one. The two speeds with hi/lo in each is hard to beat in my opinion. Kubota also has the hi/lo with three speeds. Happy hunting, lt190b

/ boomer 47 vs NH 3050 #3  
Look up threads under my name and get a lot of information on the 3050. I kept mine, brand new, with the CVT tranny for 9 months and then traded it in for a T4.75. I did not like the CVT at all and actually considered it dangerous in some situations.

/ boomer 47 vs NH 3050 #4  
I have the 3040 and have to admit the cvt takes getting used to. I have found the key quick directional change is to not let up on pedal. This takes a lot of practice and getting used to when doing loader work. Works great in non tight quarters,but in tight spaces where u have to stop it does pause before changing.

My only complaint is when under load like digging in a dirt or gravel pile, the tractor continues forward for a moment before stopping. Again just something I had to get used to.

I have 100 hrs in mine and after I have gotten to know the habits of the transmission I love it. I prefer it over hst, but have spent 100s of hours running the TA power shuttle series. I purchased the tractor for that reason.... I couldnt find a power shuttle in that hp class

Do over would lead me to a bigger class power shuttle

/ boomer 47 vs NH 3050 #5  
I have the CVT on my Boomer 8N. With the CVT you have a speed pedal, hand throttle lever, and a shuttle shift lever. The 3 ranges are a % of max speed, 1 -30%, 2 - 60%, 3 - 100%. With the throttle set for 2500 rpms to get 540 rpms PTO in high range it works fine. Push on the pedal and you can go to max speed of 18.6 mph in no time at all if that's what you want to do. I use mine for mowing and have no problems going from forward to reverse.

/ boomer 47 vs NH 3050 #6  
repowell, or other Case/New Holland CVT owners, is there a "neutral/free wheel" between forward and reverse? As in backing down a pond bank or steep slope, and changing direction, with out using the brakes. Will the tractor roll in the down hill direction or will it hold during the shuttle shift? lt190b

/ boomer 47 vs NH 3050 #7  
The shuttle shift lever is 3 position. Neutral is in the center, forward up, reverse down. There is a stand still valve to hold the tractor in position but you have to be in forward or reverse. Under certain operating conditions the transmission will shift to neutral to avoid damage, such as when RPMs drop below 800 in motion or below 1400 under load and the anti-stall switch is on. You have to be ready to put the brakes on.

You cannot tow in neutral without using the transmission disconnect shaft. It's under the tractor and requires a 3/8" ratchet. Otherwise you will damage the transmission.

/ boomer 47 vs NH 3050 #8  
I agree with Utopia Texas. Look up threads under my name also. We also had a 3050cvt and only kept for a very short time which we traded in for a T4.75. We also think it was dangerous sticking in forward etc.(an adrenal rush when dumping the bucket over a banking). The numerous electronic, power steering, hydraulic problems etc. We would have been better off and much less expensive spending the money to rebuild our TC45DA, that had in excess of 3600 hours on it and the HST was getting tired. It had no computers no electronic assists.

repowell "You cannot tow in neutral without using the transmission disconnect shaft. It's under the tractor and requires a 3/8" ratchet. Otherwise you will damage the transmission."

This is very true but beware! When ours was about two weeks old the hydraulic pump blew a seal out the side, we used the disconnect to tow the tractor. When operating the disconnect it disconnected the transmission but it fell apart inside the case making it necessary for the dealer to split the tractor to repair it. Unknown to us a stop on the lock pin was missing allowing us to back the lock pin out to far.

/ boomer 47 vs NH 3050 #9  
The Boomer 47 is a LS machine, more simple with the 3 range HST and minimal electrics.... However they are good, reliable machines. Seem heavier built than the Shibaura NH's (old TC's) or the new, Fiat Mexican built NH's.

I've played on the CVT. Interesting. In a big farm tractor, I'm sure it would be fine. But I wouldn't want it in a compact or utility machine.