boomer series vs tn line

/ boomer series vs tn line #1  

kosta

Hi folks, I would appreciate some practical advise as I decide between these 2 lines. Im considering the larger tc55 boomer but am wondering if I would be be better off with a smaller TN line. I understand the basic difference is that th TN line is the ag version, i.e. heavier frame etc. I plan on a front loader, post hole digger to start. I am new to these larger tractors and also to New Holland.
Thanks

/ boomer series vs tn line #2  
You wouldn't go wrong with either the TC55 or a TN60DA. The TN isn't too much bigger, but it does offer significantly better loader and 3pt capacity. Performance per dollar, you probably get more with the TN. You can also find some new TN65's around for some good prices. One nice thing about the lower-powered TN series is that you get a bit more horsepower than the biggest TC, and the engine is naturally aspirated. The turbo on the TC55 probably won't cause you problems, but it does add one other component to potentially wear out. I always go with simplicity if given the choice.

/ boomer series vs tn line #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I plan on a front loader, post hole digger to start. )</font>

I think you are on the right track for determining what you need. The Boomers are "utility" sized tractors that pack a lot of features into a relatively small package. They have a short wheelbase and the most favored setup is with industrial type tires. The TN series is a much larger frame and not as "agile" as their smaller siblings. I suppose it's like choosing a crew cab pickup or an SUV. You have to look at the area where you plan to work, the jobs you will be doing, and even such things as transporting your tractor. For loader work, I think the TC55DA with that 18LA loader will be a real "Hoss." If you get the E-SS tranny, you will have most of the good features of a hydrostatic transmission in a gear drive. Unless I really needed 65-75 hp, I'd look closely at the TC55DA. You can't go wrong with either tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

...now if you want a cab, I'd definitely go with the TN. ...hmm

/ boomer series vs tn line #4  
What do you plan to use it for? That is the biggest thing there. If you want to work around houses and such the TC would be better as it is shorter and can turn tighter. It also weighs a lot less then a TN.

If you plan on doing any type of tillage work and not much around houses, go with the TN and you will not be sorry. Like Jinman said, it all depends on your use. Best thing for you to do is buy both and be happy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ boomer series vs tn line
Hi thanks. I appreciate your opinion. The one thing I should have mentioned is that I live up North Snow and was considering a blower, we have ~ 50 acres with a long drive almost half mile. I dont need a cab but was wondering about stability for some potential snow blowing.
I dont really need tigh manuvering as much as I need stability.
Thanks

/ boomer series vs tn line #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I dont really need tigh manuvering as much as I need stability. )</font>

I'm not sure what you mean by stability, but if you are talking about a wide stance, the Boomer will go out past 7' wide on the rear tires. The TN may be even wider. I think the Boomer also has a lower center of gravity, but it also would have less ground clearance. I agree with Robert; you should get BOTH. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ boomer series vs tn line #7  
We've been told by NH not to sell the TC55 as an ag tractor, ie. used for pulling wagons full of hay, there is plenty of power to pull it but not enough weight to stop it. Both are good tractors, it all depends on what you are planning on doing with it and the price difference. I'm not sure but I believe the TC is front blower capable where I don't think the TN is, snowblowing your driveway being as long as you say, would be a real pain in the neck literally with a rear blower.

/ boomer series vs tn line #8  
I have a 2120 HSS and a TN75D. The 2120 is the same chassis as the TC55 and is basically the same driveline, just has less hp. The TC55 is definately more manoverable than the TN. Weight wise my 2120 comes in at about 6500 lb and the TN is a little over 9000 lb. Either one can run a front or rear mounted blower, although in the case of the TN if would most likely need to be hydraulic. There is only a few hundred pound difference in 3 pt hitch capacity, however the loader difference is much more substancial. The TN is designed for pulling heavy loads with things like automatic engagment of 4WD for additional braking whenever you apply the brakes. The cab on the TN is great and makes working in the snow, rain or hot sun fun.

Andy

/ boomer series vs tn line #9  
I tend to side with the TN. A more civilized utility tractor cannot be found, in my book. TNs are utility tractors with the most compact tractor-like operator's platform.
New Holland really did their homework on both the TC55 and the TNs. But 20 years down the road, I know that the TN will be the tractor I would prefer to be operating.