Thoughts on a TC33D

/ Thoughts on a TC33D #1  

ripHST

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T474
I've been looking at tractors (my first) and have been focusing on new since everything I've seen that was used was too close to new prices. I tend to run on so I'll try to keep it simple. Based on my needs, dealer options and advice from folks here at TBN....I've settled on the Kioti CK3510H and LSXR3135H.....these are roughly $25/27K new in TLB format. Recently, I noticed a NH TC33D on the used market for $18.5...also with FEL and BH. Not sure of the hours yet. I understand that the "D" model was necessarily hydro tranny...true? What are your thoughts on the potential savings for what I would give up...both in modern features and newness/warranty? Good compromise or no? I've tried to read up on the NH but most of the info is pretty old and maybe people's perceptions of this tractor have changed with time and comparison. Thanks for any and all advice.

/ Thoughts on a TC33D #2  
Do you needa backhoe? They are very expensive, and unless you have a continuing need for one in the years to come, it may be cheaper to rent a mini-ex. Just a thought.

Regarding the TC, they were made by shibaura in Japan, and are a very nice machine. I own a TC29D, and am very happy with it, although I've only had it since December. As far as I know, yes, all of the D models are hydrostatic. These models of tractors are the more deluxe models from New Holland in that generation. They have cruise control, a swivel seat, telescoping 3 point arms (super nice), a tilting and telescoping steering wheel, etc. It's not a big deal, but these features a pretty nice. Also, if you buy the NH, I'll PM you details on where to get a service manual in PDF form for free.

One thing I really like about my NH compared to my Kubota is that it's got about 18 grease zerks on it instead of about 3 on the Kubota. I just like that all of the linkages can be greased instead of relying on a spray lubricant.

That said, however, we don't know what you're trying to do with the tractor. Personally, if I had to keep only one of my two tractors, it'd be the larger Kubota. It's just quite a bit more capable. Also, my NH doesn't have a loader, but even hypothetically speaking, if it did have a loader, it'd still be the one the go. I can skid bigger logs and lift more on the pallet forks than the New Holland could ever dream of. Depending on the tasks you wish to achieve, the tractors you're looking at might make more sense, though.

Good luck tractor shopping!!

/ Thoughts on a TC33D #3  
   / Thoughts on a TC33D #4  
I had one many years ago, and it was a very deluxe nice tractor. I used it mainly as a mowing machine and it was great for that. Mine had SuperSteer which was an optional feature that allowed for tighter turns.

/ Thoughts on a TC33D #5  
I have owned a NH TC45D four wheel drive with a FEL for around 12 years now. When I took delivery there were 3 hours on the rach and I have put about 1,800 hours on the unit since delivery. Accessories include a sub frame BH and SSQA pallet forks and after market grapple.
This has been a great tractor. Very user friendly to operate and at 45HP with around 1.900 # lift capacity it'slarge enough to handle 99% of the tasks I've asked it to do.
Just a couple of downsides. I'm not real cool with the "super steer" feature. I'ts great for tight turning but a PITA for precision placement of pallet work as the loader arms rend to shift in the opposite direction of the turning radius. The second issue is hooking up of the BH.
The BH when attached is rock solid and actually exceeded my expectation performance wise however getting all the parts aligned takes a good half hour. Thinking a few hours of shop time making a dolly would solve that problem
Bottom line, satisfied owner.
B John

/ Thoughts on a TC33D #6  
Yes getting used to the Super Steer takes some time. I remember the first few times hooking up the FEL was an interesting experience, but I made peace with it. You just had to think in reverse. It sure was great for making turns while mowing though. If I remember correctly my TC33D would turn in a 5 foot circle.

/ Thoughts on a TC33D #7  
I have a '99 tc33d which I bought new. Zero problems. I find the supersteer great. I don't use it for FEL work (another tractor for that). I have a mid mount mower and use the 3 point hitch for spraying and landscaping implements. Plenty of power for what I use it for. Love the hydrostatic tranny. Tough little tractor. I think all the "d" models are hst tranny, supersteer and 4wd. Pulls a 6 foot bush hog fine and steers well with the cutter in the up position....not an ultra heavy duty cutter (land pride 672).

/ Thoughts on a TC33D
Thanks for all the feedback.....sounds like the TC33D is a nice tractor. Any thoughts on the relative value compared to something new? I realize this is probably a personal decision based on the "need" to have a warranty and budget and all that....but what are folks thoughts on what the value of the warranty and the new features you might find on a new tractor? It's about $7k more for a new Kioti....the NH is likely 15 years old or more (although it looks well kept from the pictures). I haven't had the chance to go look at it yet as I've been busy....also, my wife is in the process of convincing me to get a UTV (side-by-side) for now and think about a tractor later....not sure about that.

/ Thoughts on a TC33D
Do you needa backhoe? They are very expensive, and unless you have a continuing need for one in the years to come, it may be cheaper to rent a mini-ex. Just a thought.

Regarding the TC, they were made by shibaura in Japan, and are a very nice machine. I own a TC29D, and am very happy with it, although I've only had it since December. As far as I know, yes, all of the D models are hydrostatic. These models of tractors are the more deluxe models from New Holland in that generation. They have cruise control, a swivel seat, telescoping 3 point arms (super nice), a tilting and telescoping steering wheel, etc. It's not a big deal, but these features a pretty nice. Also, if you buy the NH, I'll PM you details on where to get a service manual in PDF form for free.

One thing I really like about my NH compared to my Kubota is that it's got about 18 grease zerks on it instead of about 3 on the Kubota. I just like that all of the linkages can be greased instead of relying on a spray lubricant.

That said, however, we don't know what you're trying to do with the tractor. Personally, if I had to keep only one of my two tractors, it'd be the larger Kubota. It's just quite a bit more capable. Also, my NH doesn't have a loader, but even hypothetically speaking, if it did have a loader, it'd still be the one the go. I can skid bigger logs and lift more on the pallet forks than the New Holland could ever dream of. Depending on the tasks you wish to achieve, the tractors you're looking at might make more sense, though.

Good luck tractor shopping!!

Hey Motown......yeah, probably don't "need" a backhoe, but I've got some projects that could use it and seemed to be an overall more useable package. Not completely set on that. Regarding what I need a tractor for......mostly log skidding and clearing work as I prepare to build a house. After that, maintaining a driveway and snow removal and general maintenance of 35 wooded acres.

/ Thoughts on a TC33D #10  
Thanks for all the feedback.....sounds like the TC33D is a nice tractor. Any thoughts on the relative value compared to something new? I realize this is probably a personal decision based on the "need" to have a warranty and budget and all that....but what are folks thoughts on what the value of the warranty and the new features you might find on a new tractor? It's about $7k more for a new Kioti....the NH is likely 15 years old or more (although it looks well kept from the pictures). I haven't had the chance to go look at it yet as I've been busy....also, my wife is in the process of convincing me to get a UTV (side-by-side) for now and think about a tractor later....not sure about that.

The Shibaura built NH and Ford tractors are as good as any that are built today. Could be better than most. A lot depends upon hours and condition. For 18 grand, that tractor should have NH hoe and loader, be under 800 hours, and be in pristine garage-kept condition. If all of these are true, that machine will last for 5000 hours with reasonable care and routine maintenance. At 100 hours per year, that is a LOOOOOOOOONG time.

Also - I respectfully disagree with Mrs. ripHST. A UTV is much less capable for land clearing type work than a tractor. Tractor = tool. UTV= toy. IMO of course.