Buying Advice Askinf for advice on FIRST CUT ...AKA need help

/ Askinf for advice on FIRST CUT ...AKA need help #1  

sonjack06

I am very new to tractors and this discussion group so I guess I am as green (only on this front /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) as they get. I am in need of advice from many of you on my upcoming tractor purchase, please hang with me on this. What I found (until I found this wonderful site) was not much info on choosing CUT's other than the dealers exist (and you have no idea if you are getting a reasonable price) so I am a tad bit overwhelmed. Here is my situation: I own 10 acres in Vermont that I am building a home on. 3 of those acres are wooded with a trail to maintian and large piles of rocks to move (I am using these for my house) the rest is meadow with several incline/slopes in the 10% range. I will use a brushbull (?) on probably 4.5 or so of those and I will need to do finish mowing on the rest. I have 1/3 mile sloped drive for lots of snow removal and I am also looking to purchase 10 more acres for sugaring/maple work as a hobby. I will do general landscaping work other times. I was set on the JD 4310 or 4410 (seemed very easy to use) until I visited the NH dealer and really liked the looks (yes, even the new style) and the build quality. Just by chance, while at the NH dealer, a 68 hour 4310 JD was brought in for trade consideration and I compared the 33DA and the 35DA to it and what a difference in the side by side in looks and noise level, solid feel and ergonomics. So I am feeling like one of these will be great but as you know with the 35DA you jump to the bigger frame. I have read that buy the highest HP on the smaller frame not lowest on the Bigger frame. I am wanting some input and advice on this decision. Also, I am 6' 4" 240 and the bigger frame seemed a bit more roomy, I like the DualPower feature but since I am knew to this I am easliy impressed :)o) I am sure. From what I have seen I may not be getting very good prices (there is no competition in Vermont, still a great dealer with great service and I believe he should make a profit still I will look eslewhere, too) but the cost of the 35DA was only $1350 more than the 33DA (just for the Tractor)...not enough to swing me as a no brainer ....price for the loader, 72" bucket, quicklatch, 72", block heater, fluid tire (??) <font color="blue"> </font> finish mower and 60" Brushbull (both Woods) is $24,500 for the 35DA and $2000K less for the 33DA. Thanks in advance for your insight and advice. Sorry but I can not figure out how to change the subject line!

/ Askinf for advice on FIRST CUT ...AKA need help #2  
The only thing I've heard about the 35 is that it maybe a little weak for it's size, when I looked at them, the dealer said I should at least get the 40.

/ Askinf for advice on FIRST CUT ...AKA need help #3  
I agree with Mike. If you can swing it go with the 40. If not the 35 will do and you'll be very happy with it. For your size, you need the larger frame and it will also make the work much easier.

I agree go Blue.../forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Andy

/ Askinf for advice on FIRST CUT ...AKA need help #4  
My cousin just recently bought a JD 790. And only from the experience of sitting on it did I realize how cramped up the drivers seat is. Not to say the JD 4000 series are like that, cause I don't know. My cousin 6'2" 235 even agrees he's a little jammed in the seat with controls and everything and even has the seat slid back as far as it goes. Other than that he has no complaints, he loves it.

I'm getting ready to purchase either the TC40DA or TC45DA and I must say when I went to the dealer the other day I got a chance to drive a TC35DA and the ergonomics are so much nicer. You have so much more room. My Father is 6'4" 295lbs, and he even took a spin on it and loved how much room he had in the seat.

For the price you mentioned earlier I think you could possibly do a little better considering what I priced a TC45DA for last weekend at the dealer. Check this thread out here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Of course I didn't have the finishing mower and brush cutter in the picture. Your price might not be too bad. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Askinf for advice on FIRST CUT ...AKA need help #5  
I think your price is fine, maybe even very good, with the finish mower and rotary cutter thrown in. I'd go the extra amount for the TC40DA though. With handling big rocks, you'll enjoy having the extra lift and hydraulic power that will give you. When you figure how long you will have the tractor, the per-year cost difference is really very little. Good luck with your decision and property. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Askinf for advice on FIRST CUT ...AKA need help
Thanks for the response. It is a bit tough to figure out what a "good" deal is especially when you buy implements from a third party ie. Woods through the dealer. Are there any pricing services ie. Kelly Blue Book for tractors? I am assuming not. Just out of curiousity, you are looking at a TC45DA for your work. What type of activities and what size acreage will you work on. My biggest concern is "over" buying a bunch of power I may (?) not use. Thanks again.

/ Askinf for advice on FIRST CUT ...AKA need help #7  
sonjack, my usage summary is as follows:

44 acres
approx. 32 woods and 12 field
Semi-hilly to hilly terrain.
530ft driveway to grade/snow removal
finish mowing and brush clearing trees/stumps etc..
material handling
small food plotting/garden

I'll agree with Jim about your price. I didn't realize you said rotary cutter and finish mower at first. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif That does sound like a fairly good deal.

HP wise I'll leave that to the Veteran members. I've gotten a lot of help from the Veterans on this site just as your doing. And basically how I've gotten to the point of decision that I'm at, with my own preferences of coarse. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So with my lack of experience and no hours yet on one of these machines I can't give an accurate opinion on anything yet, but I could probably say this tough. The more HP the easier it is on the workload of your machine. I would again agree with Jim that if you are going to be dealing with a lot of rocks and some bolder type material I would probably want something that could handle the job with the least worries as possible. Besides that the Veterans can help you with questions more so than I. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As everyone else says, "It's better to have a little too much HP than not enough, you would find someway of using it." Take your time getting one and get what you want. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif After looking at the big three for months now the Boomers are my favorite, but all will get the job done just as well. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the help. I will let you know how it goes at the dealer tomorrow! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jinman, thanks for the input. I have read your other responses and your help is greatly appreciated. I am off to the dealer tomorrow and hoefully will find a comfortable price and tractor. Oh, Boy! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif