Funny Thing Happened on Big Blue's Trip 2 New Home

/ Funny Thing Happened on Big Blue's Trip 2 New Home #1  

GreenAcres

Bronze Member
Funny Thing Happened on Big Blue\'s Trip 2 New Home

You all might remember that nearly a month ago my wife and I placed an order for a TC 40A with loader and "chest" of toys.

My wife named the tractor Big Blue, and it was destined for a life maintaining our new five acre farm.

Well, a funny thing happened on it's way to its new home.

A week ago, our dealer set the TC 40A up with its loader and 6 foot rotary tiller.

And when my normally calm, benevolent wife saw that huge cluster of farm machinery, she had what could only be described as a canniption fit! "That thing is .... HUGE!" she kept repeating over and over and over again.

Well, I have to admit, I had no idea it would be so huge either. I looked at that setup, and the more I looked at the size of that tractor with its toys, the more I began to realize it was more machine than my little farm could handle.

Visibly shaken, my wife asked me to reconsider the model tractor we were getting. And the truth is, I had to agree with her.

We hadn't taken possession of the tractor yet, in fact, the dealer had not yet done any of the modifications we asked for. The only thing that had been done to the tractor at that point was puttting the loader on the loader ready tractor.

I knew that they could readily resell the TC40A to some other farmer -- it's a popular size and style in these parts, and pretty much any farmer that would consider buying it would want the loader too.

So we went into the office of the sales person we had been working with, and asked him if it would be too late to change the order.

Well, he didn't seem the least bit surprised by the request. Later, my wife told me that she thinks he set up that equipment the way that he did PURPOSEFULLY to demonstrate to us that we were making a mistake while there was still time to make a change.

He immediately came back with what he thought would be a better bet for us: a TC 29DA or else TC 33DA.

We did not order hydro the first time, but my wife was having so much trouble learning how to drive that standard that he told me (out of her earshot) that he was afraid she'd ram something or tip it over before she finally learned to use it. My wife is actually learning disabled (verified by extensive medical testing) when it comes to mastering simple mechanical skills. even though she has a high IQ. He didn't know that, but he did see that she was having alot more problems than new standard tractor drivers normally do.

So he STRONGLY suggested we get the hydro tranny.

Anyway, like I said -- a funny thing happened on Big Blue's trip to its new home.

Big Blue changed from a husky TC 40A with shuttle transmission to a moderate sized TC 33DA with hydro transmission.

My wife is much happier with the hydro tranny, and both us agree that the smaller TC 33 frame and smaller 5 foot implements will manuever better on our five acre farm.

Oh, and by the way, I am proud to announce that our smaller TC33DA made its' grand appearance at our home about 5 pm CDT this afternoon. My wife is happy as a clam, and

The procession of neighbors casually stopping by to get a look at the new arrival has already began. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Funny Thing Happened on Big Blue's Trip 2 New Home #2  
Re: Funny Thing Happened on Big Blue\'s Trip 2 New Home

Sounds like you have a gem of a dealer. It's also impressive that you were very willing to admit the mistake and correct it. It's clear you will be happier now. Good luck with you new big (sort of) blue.

Cliff

/ Funny Thing Happened on Big Blue's Trip 2 New Home #3  

Congratulations! The new Boomers look pretty cool, I think. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif How about a pic or two if you get the time? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Funny Thing Happened on Big Blue's Trip 2 New Home #4  

Glad you got your "little" blue tractor. Maybe your wife could name this one "Babe Blue" after Babe the blue ox. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Funny Thing Happened on Big Blue's Trip 2 New Home #5  

Green Acres it's better to get the tractor that you want than to live with one that doesn't fit your lifestyle. I'm glad that it all turned out well for you and that you are both happy with the TC-33DA

/ Funny Thing Happened on Big Blue's Trip 2 New Home #6  

I'm glad you feel better about your decision. I too have to constantly catch myself from falling into the "little bit bigger" trap. I hope you enjoy your new tractor.

Mike

/ Funny Thing Happened on Big Blue's Trip 2 New Home #7  

GreenAcres, in my opinion you did the right thing. I think you and Mrs. GreenAcres will be much happier with the TC33 hydro. It should be just right for your situation. Bigger is not always better /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.