New Holland TC40A Price Check

/ New Holland TC40A Price Check #1  

astater

Tractor
New Holland TC40A
Well, I've been here 2 days and started 2 threads! Thanks again for all the advice for a tractor virgin.

Now I've found a NH TC40A. 2005 New Holland TC40A tractor. ONLY 960 hrs reading on meter. Synch shuttle transmission. 4WD. R4 industrial tires. NH quick detach loader. Has some slight paint fade on the fenders and no implements. Overall looks to be in good condition...but I don't know that much about tractors. Asking price is 14k. Educate me!

Thanks again fellas...

/ New Holland TC40A Price Check #2  
It will probably be easier to get opinions with a few pictures and some more info:

1. How was it used and by whom?
2. How are the tires? Weather checked or good?
3. Is it for sale by private owner or dealer?
4. Does it have supersteer?
5. Has it been maintained well?

At first blush, that looks like a reasonable price for a very stout tractor. Pictures may change my mind, however.

These NH tractors are nice. Built by Shibaura in Japan (and that's a good thing). Current NH are built by LS.

Some common issues:
1. Weak fiberglass fenders / hood are subject to damage.
2. Headlights are mounted down low and are ineffective / subject to damage
3. Starting issues with key switch / glow plug relay / starter / maybe other causes that others can elaborate upon. Seem to be a problem with these models.

In general, I am a big fan of the TC series. And the 40 is the sweet spot in their lineup, IMO. It all comes down to condition and care...

/ New Holland TC40A Price Check
It will probably be easier to get opinions with a few pictures and some more info:

1. How was it used and by whom? Unknown
2. How are the tires? Weather checked or good? Good Tires
3. Is it for sale by private owner or dealer? Dealer, but that doesn't affect value? It's not worth any more or any less based on who's selling it to me, right?
4. Does it have supersteer? No supersteer.
5. Has it been maintained well? Looks to be, but that's an unknown as well.

At first blush, that looks like a reasonable price for a very stout tractor. Pictures may change my mind, however.

These NH tractors are nice. Built by Shibaura in Japan (and that's a good thing). Current NH are built by LS.

Some common issues:
1. Weak fiberglass fenders / hood are subject to damage.
2. Headlights are mounted down low and are ineffective / subject to damage
3. Starting issues with key switch / glow plug relay / starter / maybe other causes that others can elaborate upon. Seem to be a problem with these models.

In general, I am a big fan of the TC series. And the 40 is the sweet spot in their lineup, IMO. It all comes down to condition and care...

Thanks for the help man! I answered all the questions in the quote...I really like this one but it's a little out of my price range. Working on the wife as I type...

img.axd
img.axd
img.axd

/ New Holland TC40A Price Check #6  
Pics look good to me. New-ish front tires and new seat. If it's not rattle-canned and actually looks that good with factory paint, AND it works properly and sounds right with no leaks, I'd be all over it for 14K. Dealer owned doesn't affect value, but I like to speak with the original owner. Also would be nice to know how it was used.

Have the wheels been painted or are they original? Look too clean to be original.

Might want to check that the zerks take grease. Maybe they've just been super-cleaned.

Here's some help with the wife - This machine will be worth 12 grand in 10 years - I promise. So it will only cost you 200 bucks per year to own it, plus maintenance and fuel. Almost like a savings account that can get work done. 14k is a very good price for this machine based upon the pictures. In my area, that tractor would go for more.

I'm not sure of your planned usage, but a 40 hp machine is a nice size. My first was a 30 hp (NH TC-30, actually) and it was great but just a bit too small / light for some tasks. The Kubota L3710 - very close in all specs to the TC40 - that I have now is perfect for... everything... I think...

/ New Holland TC40A Price Check #7  
Actually, I just saw this machine on Steve's link to tractorhouse. Looks pretty good. I can see the paint fade on the fenders. From the pics, it looks like an honest tractor. Meaning that it shows normal wear and tear without looking TOO fixed-up.

Good luck.

/ New Holland TC40A Price Check #8  
I have a New Holland T2310 (the 40hp model after TC40). I absolutely love it. Had a medium frame 33hp New Holland before that. It was a good tractor, but the larger frame 40 hp model makes a huge difference in work it can do.

These usually go for $18k+, so you are looking at a pretty good price. Perhaps it is somewhat negotiable and free delivery. Don't think too long or it will be gone!

Free delivery...went and looked at it in the rain yesterday. Good condition. Tires are a little rough. Lots of rock wear on the rear tires but they would still give me plenty of hours. The guy knocked off $100 dollars on the tractor and $50 off a cutter...Still having trouble getting the wife to buy into the extra dollars. Her budget is locked in at 10k...but I don't think I'll find a much better deal than this one...

Actually, I just saw this machine on Steve's link to tractorhouse. Looks pretty good. I can see the paint fade on the fenders. From the pics, it looks like an honest tractor. Meaning that it shows normal wear and tear without looking TOO fixed-up.

Good luck.

I don't think this dealer does much "fixing". He looks to try to buy quality tractors from trade-ins at dealers. He may paint the wheels and he said he always adds a FEL if a tractor comes in without one. Other than that, he has a part time mechanic that does a once over on all of them and makes minor repairs. Seems to be an honest place and I can't say that about everywhere I've been the past couple of months. "refurbished" tractors are NOT something I'm interested in. Those guys were pure slime...