Ford 3600 opinions

/ Ford 3600 opinions #1  

blucoondawg

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK50SE w/ loader and Woods 90x backhoe, Allis Chalmers C with front snowplow
I am not very well versed in the Ford tractors so I am wondering about the 3600 model, this one has the diesel with the 8 speed transmission. It's a decent looking tractor from the picture, the guy says it doesn't smoke at all when he starts it, hour meter doesn't work so don't know that. Anyways I'm just wondering if they are a good tractor, did they have any known issues and are parts still readily available for it. The guy wants 9k for it with tiller, 3 bottom plow, bale spear, quick attach, brush hog. Attachments are used but look decent enough.

/ Ford 3600 opinions #2  
I have had a Ford 3000 diesel for about 10 years and just bought a 3600 diesel, they are basically the same tractor. Personally I like the Fords, parts are not very difficult to find both used and aftermarket. I wouldn't worry too much about the hour meter, Worst case a new gauge cluster and maybe a tach cable will fix it for about $100.00. You need to see what the implements are worth to you, around here a good 3600 can be bought for about $4,000.

Really can't think of much that would be considered a chronic issue. Make sure the lift works as it should and the clutch is good. Engine will rattle but shouldn't knock. Check normal old vehicle stuff, oil, coolant etc. If it's sat outside expect to find water in the transmission and probably rear end. Oil will be milky white, drain and refill with any 134 universal hydraulic oil from you local tractor supply.

That's about all I can think off off the top.

/ Ford 3600 opinions
Ya the price seems a little high to me even with the implements but here everyone tries to inflate that stuff by calling it a food plot tractor and trying to sell to hunters. Was looking at it for my buddy who wants a garden tractor but he's thinking he really wants a loader and that one don't have it. Could probably put one on but don't know how well the hydraulics would run it.

/ Ford 3600 opinions #4  
My 3000 has a loader ran off the tractor hydraulics with a Tisco adapter plate. It's a little slow but works well for my general home owner use. I think the 3600 has a higher GPH pump than the 3000 which would make it a better loader tractor than the 3000. Expect to pay around a grand for a used loader or add about that to what you would expect to pay for a bare tractor.

Probably should mention if you add a loader you are going to greatly reduce the ground clearance of the tractor. The will only be an issue if you are planning on using the tractor with a cultivator. It will severely limit how tall the crop can be before you have to quit using the cultivator. This is one of the reasons I bought the 2nd tractor.

/ Ford 3600 opinions #5  
The Ford 3600 is a great utility tractor. They typically bring top dollar for a used unit around here. Parts are plentiful. The tractors are very reliable. Figure that the tiller is worth $1K and the other implements at $1K so he is around $7000 for the tractor alone. That is on the high end of what I would give. Just for reference couple years ago I gave 5K for a two owner 4610 with 2900 hours. Same tractor with a larger engine. It has been a great unit for me.