Workmaster 40--minor issues hood catch, seat and knobs

/ Workmaster 40--minor issues hood catch, seat and knobs #1  

wmw1490

Tractor
Ford 1700
I purchased a workmaster 40 late 2015 and overall have been happy with its performance. I also own an 8N & Ford 1700. The workmaster was to replace the 1700, but I just can't part with a nice little tractor.

Anyway, at around 100 hours of use the hood latch separated from its welded position on the hood. There are 3 tiny welds that hold the latch to the hood and where they are on the hood is a small metal area not big enough for the stresses of normal use. I was lucky and found the latch when it came off in the field, so at least I have that part. Plans are to get someone to fabricate a piece of stronger metal to re-attached the latch. Using bungees right now and that's a shame for such a low time tractor.

The seat bracket is held on to the frame by a super thin piece of metal. It failed at around 80 hours and I'm not unusually large to cause it to over stress. Temporary fix was to place a larger washer around the bolt where it attaches to cover the cracked part of steel. It works, but not a permanent fix. Going to get a piece of real steel to replace that bracket that can handle driver weight and normal stresses.

Last problem is one I caught early at around 15 hours--the PTO knob won't stay on. Lose the knob and you have to buy an entire PTO switch to get the knob. Really??? I have it rigged to stay on now, but should not have to resort to a home brew solution. Heck, my 1700 and 8n still have original knobs, latches, etc.

For all issues, if you want them fixed you have to purchase full a$$emblies. Not cheap. I did relay this info to my dealer so they can get to New Holland manufacturing & design. I doubt I'll every hear anything back and I told the dealer that even replacing those parts would not last very long--poor design.

I know there are not too many posts about this model and wanted to share my experience after 2 years of ownership. Nice running, does the job for its size and I can keep my ~20 acres of fields (45 acres total) cut without much effort. The low quality parts for the seat, hood latch and knobs are something a potential buyer should look at closely. Lesson learned for me!