New Holland Boomer 33 Advice

/ New Holland Boomer 33 Advice #1  

sseelhoff

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Workmaster 35
After 10 years, I have determined that my John Deere 2320 needs to go. At 373 replaced the drive shaft due to maintenance instructions failing to advise that the shaft had zertz for greasing. Serviced by dealerships, and they did not service. After blowing it out, they refused to stand behind the product. Now 391 hours the hydro transmission shaft blew out, due to the drive shaft failure. Wanna guess what JD says? Lift Arm on the rear hydraulics also broke at about 385 hours. This machine is not abused. It's used for lots of mowing and the occasional dirt work with the FEL. Serviced every 100 hours with oil and filter changes, and the zertz fittings (that we know about per the manual) greased regularly. Garage stored when not in use.

Reading a lot on line about the design problems with the Yanmar 24 in this model particularly that lead to the series of failures. So we're dumping it after this latest breakdown. JD hat is going in the burn pile. (Yes, I'm ticked off at JD right now) We have a New Holland dealer here in town. Nice folks-we've purchased parts for the JD in the past.

Thoughts on the New Holland Boomer versus the Case Farmall A Series? Going to upgrade into the 33 hp range. We have 10 acres total. 8 is in row crops that are farmed for us, so I don't touch them. The other two are grass pastures for the horse, and gravel drive that I maintain with the FEL (moving based, gravel, etc.)

Input welcome, questions too.

Thanks.

/ New Holland Boomer 33 Advice #2  
I have the older sibling to the Boomer 33. I have a Ford 1920, it has 32 hp. It is a good size tractor. I use it for the horses to move large square and round bales. The loader on the 1920 is not as powerful as I would like, but then newer ones have more power. My rear tires are filled so it is heavy. I think the boomer 33 uses a Shibura engine and does a regen every 5 hours or so. The some of the newer engines go about 45-50 hours before a regen. My 2013 VW Passat would do a regen every 5 or so hours. Never had a problem.

/ New Holland Boomer 33 Advice
Thanks! It does have regen, but I am not of the frequency. From what I understand, the Boomers recently changed from Shibura to LS. Someone suggested I save some money and buy and LS instead. The New Holland dealer is about 5 miles from the house, and the LS dealer is about 40. So that is a consideration.

/ New Holland Boomer 33 Advice #4  
I’ve owned a Boomer TC33DA for 13 years and recently just upgraded to a Boomer 37 the 33 had 1000 hrs on it when I traded it in and I had zero problems for all 13 years. Was a great tractor!

/ New Holland Boomer 33 Advice
I bought the 33. Have 20 hours on it. Loving it so far.

/ New Holland Boomer 33 Advice #6  
I bought the 33. Have 20 hours on it. Loving it so far.

I looked at an LS tractor, basically the same as yours, which is built by LS in Korea. I was impressed with the quality and attention to detail. They have a pretty strong following and owners seem quite pleased. Our LS dealer is 30 minutes north and excellent people -- I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to find my low-hour Mahindra at a price I couldn't refuse. It's certainly more tractor than I need (I was looking for a smaller 25 hp unit), but I certainly won't outgrow it anytime soon. My local dealer also sells New Holland, and they're excellent to work with. Especially for people like me who are new to tractors (but not to life), having a supportive dealer nearby is huge. I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. Sounds like you've replaced your JD hat with NH!

/ New Holland Boomer 33 Advice #7  
I know this is an old thread, but I wonder how that 33 has worked out. From TractorData, it appears that the 33 was Shibaura, not LS. Is this correct? I have seen one for sale, I believe it's still new, despite being several years old now, and am wondering if it might be wise to go with something like that instead of the newer machines.