Price Check Ford 1920 2wd with 860 hours

/ Ford 1920 2wd with 860 hours #1  

AshGreenleaf

Tractor
none
Hello - my husband and I have about 55 acres of hilly pasture in VA that we don't live on full time. Our ideal tractor is out of the budget right now, and the grass is getting tall, so I figured we might just look for a "lawn mower" in the interim. We looked at a 1920 from a private seller and liked it... comes with a (very old but functional) brush hog and has low hours. Seller doesn't know the year but I'm guessing it's late 80s. After negotiating, seller said he'd accept $6k. I don't think that's a bad price, but I'm not sure it's a good price either, especially since we'd have to transport it ourselves about 3 hours and over some mountain roads.

Does this seem like an okay deal? We'd ideally like a bucket and 4wd, and aren't in a huge rush to buy, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to spend a little more and get a similar tractor with those features. A nearby dealer has a 1996 with low hours, 4wd, and a bucket for 12k. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Attachments

• 00i0i_cB1UB4dEGnr_600x450.jpg
    00i0i_cB1UB4dEGnr_600x450.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 434
   / Ford 1920 2wd with 860 hours #2  
Hello - my husband and I have about 55 acres of hilly pasture in VA that we don't live on full time. Our ideal tractor is out of the budget right now, and the grass is getting tall, so I figured we might just look for a "lawn mower" in the interim. We looked at a 1920 from a private seller and liked it... comes with a (very old but functional) brush hog and has low hours. Seller doesn't know the year but I'm guessing it's late 80s. After negotiating, seller said he'd accept $6k. I don't think that's a bad price, but I'm not sure it's a good price either, especially since we'd have to transport it ourselves about 3 hours and over some mountain roads.

Does this seem like an okay deal? We'd ideally like a bucket and 4wd, and aren't in a huge rush to buy, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to spend a little more and get a similar tractor with those features. A nearby dealer has a 1996 with low hours, 4wd, and a bucket for 12k. Any thoughts are appreciated!

The dealer has the one you need!
If you buy the 2WD private seller 1920 without a loader, you will wind up selling it to buy one with 4WD and a loader.
Don't think that you can add a loader later. A good used loader for a 1920 is very difficult to find.
You definitely do want 4WD!
A 4WD 1920 with low hours, a loader, and in good condition, is probably an OK deal at 12K
I paid $9500 for one with 1056 hours, 3 years ago, but .....I have completely refurbished it, and have WAY more than 12K in it now.
The 1920s are great little 32HP tractors, and are very simple to repair!
If you go to Tractordata.com you will see that the first 1920s were built in 1987.
If you are going to mow all, or most, of the hilly 55 acres, you might want to consider a bit bigger tractor.

/ Ford 1920 2wd with 860 hours #3  
I had the 1920 with 4WD and it needed front weights to counterbalance a five foot bush hog before I added a loader to it. And if I used the loader without engaging the front wheels, there was hardly any traction because the loader took most of the weight off the rear wheels. (So that would be similar to you buying 2wd thinking you might add a loader later.) I did like the 1920 though, except with only that basic transmission, both shuttling and shifting almost required a complete stop.

/ Ford 1920 2wd with 860 hours #4  
I just picked up a 2003 TC35D 4WD with a loader for $9500. Has 2700 hours on it but runs like a top. I think$6000 for a 2WD is a bit high. I don't think you would be happy without a loader.

/ Ford 1920 2wd with 860 hours #5  
:welcome:
To the forum Ash. You came to the right place to get answers.

I have to go along with the others and recommend the one with FEL and 4wd. With a bucket, you really need 4wd as JMC stated.

/ Ford 1920 2wd with 860 hours #6  
I am a big fan of older 2WD tractors with only a brush hog on them. In that configuration most of the weight is on the rear wheels when the hog is raised so traction can be quite good. Enough weight stays on the front wheels to steer so you are okay there. Loaders get in the way when mowing both for sight and obstacles. Old iron can be very reliable and less expensive particularly for something like brush hogging. Why use up a new tractor for that? You would want a 2nd newer tractor someday with 4WD, loader and HST as your utility tractor.

Having said that, how hilly is hilly? Can a 2WD handle it?

/ Ford 1920 2wd with 860 hours
Thanks for all the helpful information! Sounds like the 2wd might be a bad choice even if it were well priced. USDA soil map says the steepest pasture is 35-55% slopes, but I can't imagine it's more than 25% slope for the part we'd mow... we can walk over almost all of it without getting onto all fours. Attaching a picture of the steepest part of the pasture.

Attachments

• 20161001_131419.jpg
    20161001_131419.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 321
   / Ford 1920 2wd with 860 hours #8  
Yeah, you need a 4WD.

/ Ford 1920 2wd with 860 hours #9  
The 12k tractor would be your best value. As you can see by my lineup I have tractors for different purposes. For a single purpose application, the attributes mentioned will be welcomed. Leaving your mower on the rear of your tractor, as you probably will with what you said, if lifted off the ground (during the event) should provide adequate counterweight for using the front end loader with a full bucket.

On shifting, a lot of the smaller tractors that are gear shifted aren't synchronized making shifting somewhat difficult if the engine is not returned to idle. A synchronous transmission, or going to a pedal operated hydrostatic with 2 or 3 speed ranges to limit what the pedal does, are much easier on the "newby farmer-rancher).

I think $6k is pricy for that tractor considering I just paid $7.5k for a Ford 3910 at 900 hrs, 1988 year model, one owner, garage kept (out of the weather).

Use clean fuel and don't forget to change the fluids every once in awhile, like 1 year at least on engine oil/filter and at least drain and refill the transmission, hydraulic/differential sump when you get it as you don't know how long it's been since it was serviced. Tractors have a problem with accumulated condensation internally over the years and if you aren't using the tractor hard enough to drive out the moisture and it sits, it can corrode your vital moving parts.

Whatever you buy, I&T service manuals are available (ebay is where I get mine) for your model tractor and help you to maintain your tractor. Cost about $25.

Good luck.

/ Ford 1920 2wd with 860 hours #10  
In 1998 I bought a 4WD 1920 with FEL, made in 1992, with about 1100 hours, for $12K. I thought that was a lot at the time, but it turned out to be the Best deal I ever made. That tractor is still going strong, despite my inattention, and has made this 20-acre property so much better. So that's my $0.02!