What to look for-Ford 1920 tractor.

/ What to look for-Ford 1920 tractor. #1  

oz_in_SC

I am a total newbie to the whole tractor world so please bear with me.

In the local paper there is a Ford model 1920 tractor,loader and 6' bush hog for sale.
They are asking $3500.

No idea of year,hours or condition but I will find out tomorrow when I call.Around here tractors are pretty rare as nobody needs them on their 1/4 acre lot /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What should I look for?

We have just bought land in NC that is in desperate need of cleaning up/clearing so this would be used up there.

Thanks oz.

/ What to look for-Ford 1920 tractor. #2  
I would think the price should be closer to $13,500. Just a 1920 w/ fwa will sell for at least $10k. My dealer sells them with loader and cab for $15k when they get one in on trade. As for what to look for, I can't tell you anything specific but they are very well built tractors with a great reputation. I have never heard of any problems with them. My neighbor uses his everyday on his farm since he got it new in 96. I have never had a problem with mine but have only had it for a year now. If it is only $3500 then there is either something seriously wrong with it or you have one great deal and should not be wasting time here and get over there and buy it.

/ What to look for-Ford 1920 tractor. #3  
Also, if it IS really that price, don't send your money to his "bank" overseas or let him do any weird banking transactions. That sort of thing smells of fraud (not saying that this IS fraud.)

Caveat emptor.

Mark

PS My brother inherited a 1920 with loader and hog from my grandmother. It was a great tractor - very noisy so use ear protection.

/ What to look for-Ford 1920 tractor. #4  
The fact it is in the local paper would lead me to think it is either a misprint or some guy who doesn't know how to price a machine (or worst case it is a totally destroyed and overworked machine). If it was a online ad or ebay then I would be more concerned. At least he can go look at the machine and meet the guy and judge for himself.

/ What to look for-Ford 1920 tractor. #5  
I agree with the others.. 3500$ should only buy about a 1/4 of that machine that you specified as eqquipped.

I love my 1920.. Mines 4wd and has the 12x4 gear tranny. Lotsa power.. great brakes and strong 3pt lift. No smoke.. starts first time every time, with or without glow plugs. Mines a 1997 model, and I just changed out the oem battery last year.

The only thing I would trade it for is a 2120.. or a 3010s as I would like a bit more tractor... but as it is.. it's great. Got mine used from the local NH dealer. best and hardest working 10K$ I ever spent.

Soundguy

/ What to look for-Ford 1920 tractor.
Well I called the guy selling it and there HAD been a misprint-it was supposed to be $4500.BUT he had sold th emower so was letting it go for $4000.
It was within ten minutes of my house but I was at work so I set up a meeting this afternoon at 4:30....

It sold between this morning at 9AM and when I called him this afternoon at 4PM /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh well,such is life.

Thanks for all the advice.
oz.

/ What to look for-Ford 1920 tractor. #8  
Check out Corriher Implemnt Co in Newton NC. They have a great web site, ebay offererings, real prices for both new and used equipment, etc. I used their web site to zero in on prices to pay locally. Also, if the price seems to good to be true, probably is the case.
Dale