First tractor TD24DA! Anyone use a power rake?

/ First tractor TD24DA! Anyone use a power rake? #1  

gregp

Bronze Member
I sold my boat and am buying a td24da. The dealer here in Alaska has been and is very helpful and friendly. This goes a long way with me. I have looked at Kubota and Deere but found myself at the New Holland dealer more often. This is my first tractor if i dont count a 1940 9n ford i never used for anything other than to drive in circles. A toy and nothing else.
This tractor will be different. I am going to do tilling in my area. I work at a rental yard part time. I have been with this company for 18 years most of it full time untill i decided to go for the money and work offshore on an oil platform. Now i work at the rental yard because i like it not cause i have to be there. Where i am going with this is the rental market for tillers is very busy. We no longer rent tractor tillers anymore since Honda does not sell riding equipment. We are a Honda dealer.
We get many calls daily looking for a small tractor to till with. Most of these people do not have a garden, they are just redoing or starting a lawn or etc. I do not want to rent my tractor but will be more than happy to till for them.
Another interesting thing about my area is that there have been about 1100 new home built in the last 5 years. None of them were sold with yards. I am seriously looking at the t5 Harley power rake. Most of these yard have been dozer smoothed but that is all.
What size tiller can i run on the 24DA? Has anyone out there used the Harley power rake? I will have a loader on the tractor first thing. I may get a box rake and a post hole auger before i leave the dealership. On a side note The dealer is selling the 24da with a loader for $15,300.00 I live in Alaska so the price may be higher than the states due to freight charges. I would be interested in the cost for people south of Alaska. Sorry for the long post, they wont all be this way, just the first one.

/ First tractor TD24DA! Anyone use a power rake? #2  
I use a 48" Land Pride tiller on my TC24D. It handles it fine, even in the heavy clay ground where it sees most of it's use. Never used a power rake, but did use a 60" box blade quite a bit when I was putting the lawn in at my house. I spread over 200 yds of topsoil with no complaints. As long as your top link is adjusted properly it will handle a 60" box blade adequately (even with turf tires). Great tractor - hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

/ First tractor TD24DA! Anyone use a power rake? #3  
I pulled a 5 ft rake with an 18hp,3cyl diesel,2wd,turf tired,870 john deere and it pulled through anything i wanted it to. You can't screw the grade up to easily either. I highly suggest getting one, great tool.
Best Regards,
Marty

/ First tractor TD24DA! Anyone use a power rake?
Prus, I assume you are talking about the Harley rake. I will be running a 24 hp with 18.5hp at the pto. From what i have read Harley power ratings are more to match the size of tractor to the tool and not neccessarily to run the tool.

/ First tractor TD24DA! Anyone use a power rake? #5  
The Harley rake really does not require a bunch of power to turn the carbide roller. You are correct, it's more a matter of being able to handle the weight of the rake and the material you drag along. I should think with a smaller tractor like the TC24, the T6 would be ideal. While they are pricey, they do an amazing job.

/ First tractor TD24DA! Anyone use a power rake? #7  
Now there you have it from someone who knows the NH line far better then me. Once I got my tractor, the tractor shopping came to a dead stop. The only info I get about other brands anymore is here at TBN. If I was in the market for a tractor today, I would be looking at the rear 3 pt setup as much as anything. I want plenty of beef back there, the way things were made in the old days. I don't see it on the smaller compacts.

Is the tc24da not capable of doing the work i am asking of it? Landscaping work on small residential yards and some snow removal in the winter is all i will be doing. The rear 3pt on a 24 will lift 1265 pounds as per the brochure. Is this not enough? The dealer had a unit in stock a few weeks ago but i believe it has been sold. The next to arrive will be in 60 to 90 days. He has a tc30 in stock but it is not hydrostatic.
And to be honest i am smitten with the looks of the DA model. Price on a tc29 will be lots more i am sure. I figure with a tractor and box rake at about $16 i could get the power rake and be into it for about $21. I am guessing a 29 may be several thousand more. I sure wish i was rich.LOL
Mabey having to wait for the tractor to arrive is a blessing in disguise. I sure dont want to buy something and regret it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ First tractor TD24DA! Anyone use a power rake? #9  
I think you've answered your own question. Your 3-pt will lift 1265# at the links but that rake will be dangling 'way out back. I've never run a Harley rake on my 24hp tractor but you need to find out the weight of the rake and see if the TC24DA will handle it. The rake manufacturer should have a minimum tractor size to operate their equipment so you need to check on that too.

As I remember it from fantasy shopping a couple of years ago, the TC24DA might not be quite enough tractor.

The pto rating says 24" aft of the hitch. Would this be at the ends of the pto? The power rake weighs anywhere from 550 to 850 depending on the model.