TN65

/ TN65
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The tires are a good size as well. One problem might be if you want tire chains the 30's on the rear won't allow chains unless you move them out. It is not a problem for a field tractor and to be honest I don't think you will ever need chains on this machine. I have never needed them and don't see any time in the future where I will need them. Have fun. )</font>

This is a good point about the chains. Based on your experience, do you think the tractor would go through a couple feet of snow, on woods roads? I will be using 50% of time for logging. Especially in winter.

/ TN65 #12  
I have no problem with snow. The only time snow is a problem is when I am going up the hill in my yard and trying to get onto the road. The snow is usually quite deep and packed along the shoulder of the road that it takes weight off the TN's tires and I have to pull some of the snow back to get thru.

I have a friend who bought a TN to do logging with like your planning. He just pushed the tires out as far as they can go, tossed on the chains and had fun. For logging I would think you would want a wider base, especially if your working on any slopes. Also, the 16.9-30's will give you a little extra clearance over the 28's.

/ TN65
Yeah...I had already talked to dealer about having tires as wide as they will go. I'm just thinking about other things...such as mowing between plantation planted trees, 6-7 feet apart, and some work around the house and sheds etc. I guess I look for a compromise that will somewhat satisfy everything, as I can't imagine that turning the loaded tires around a couple time a year would be any fun. I would probably go with safety and ability to use chains, and leave them wide. I have "ring" type skidder chains, that I effectively got for free about 30 years ago. Glad I never sold them. I definitly get a warm-fuzzy feeling knowing that it will be a pretty stable tractor for logging.

I think you are in westen -finger lake region?

We lived in Adirondacks for a couple of years -Wanakena-near Cranberry Lake. Great Country! Downside is all state land...so no jobs. Wanted to stay, but had to eat.

Thanks again for the advice. Nice to get such tractor specific info.

/ TN65
I forgot to say that I mentioned to the dealer that I wanted the capability of putting chains on the front also, if I found I needed them. He advised not to do it. I started sooking at this tractor line because it is an Ag. type. I thought that they were make more rugged than homeowner lines. This is a little disapointment.

/ TN65 #15  
I am actually right on Lake Erie in the grape belt here.

The problem with front chains is that it gives the tractor too much grip. This is a problem with all FWA tractors as the front tires need to be able to slip. If they don't you end up with problems in the driveline as all that binding is not a good thing. I know people put chains on the front but I agree with the dealer, it is not a good idea.

I do not think you will need chains on the front though and even if you do put them on for a limited time I don't think it will hurt the machine much if you are careful about it. Rick should be able to say for sure how much chains might hurt if they will even hurt the TN. Of course you can always try the TN first and if you think you need chains put them on then and tell us what you learn after a couple years of using them.

/ TN65 #16  
I run 16.9 x 30's on my TN with no chains. Was moving round bales a couple of weeks ago in 30 inches of snow. No Way in 2WD. 4WD without a hitch. Ocassionally I needed to flip the differential lock switch on icy slopes with a heavy front load. I pull trees with out chains and also plow and bucket heavy snow. The one option I have that really helps with the going gets rough is front differential lock. When I flip the "little rocker switch" all four tires pull together and it takes a lot to keep it from pulling. RickB ? Is the front differential lock an "orderable" option? I think it is standard on the S models, but mine is a TN75D and it just came on it.
Good luck with your choice. You'll love the TN series.

Andy

/ TN65 #17  
My dealer has always advised against front wheel chains. Just thought I'd add that.

andy

/ TN65 #18  
My father logged for years using a Ford, then kubota, Massey and finally bought a Clark Skidder. He only ran rear chains on the tractors. The first two tractors were smaller than a TN, the Massey was about the same size. The Massey was his favorite. I think with rear chains you will be happy. I suggest U shaped Ice picks. The ring chains work good in mud, but on ice they are very slippery.

/ TN65 #19  
I do not recommend front chains, but if you need them, it is because of a lack of grip. That said, if used when absolutely needed they will provide benefit with low risk of doing harm. I just doubt you will decide you need them; especially if you have front difflock. We do have one TN owner that uses front chains because he learned too late that he DID need chains and had 30" rears. The 30's will have to go WAY out before I would be comfortable running chains on them, especially aggressive style chains. I would opt for 28" R-1's if I wanted to run rear chains. Opinions on this will vary. Electrohydraulic difflock ALWAYS engages front and rear difflocks simultaneously. I believe that comes with the PowerShuttle package. Not sure if it is a standalone option on mechanical shuttle models; check with your dealer. Options and configurations have changed some with the 'A' series. Mechanically engaged difflock is rear axle only.

/ TN65
Rick, Great advice! Thanks especially for the tire size/chains possible difficulties. I think that I will ask for the 28's. Without your tip, I'm sure I would have opted for the 30s.
Bigger is better. Right? I guess not always...

Off to ogle drool and stare meloncolleraly (never saw that word before I bet), at all the tractors, on the morrow.