Ford 1320 FEL?

/ Ford 1320 FEL? #1  

Pingman

I have a '89 Ford 1320 that I have used to cut 3 acres for 14 years. I have recently started building homes. I want a FEL and a box scraper for clean-up and light landscaping around homesites. Am I stupid for thinking of putting a loader on this little tractor? Should I look for a 30-40 hp for this job? I am aware of the "tipping" dangers, how much will the box scraper help to offset tipping?

Thanks

/ Ford 1320 FEL? #2  
I have the 1520 Ford. It has the same frame with just a few more horsepower.

The 1320/1520/1620 is a stout tractor for the horsepower. That being said, these Fords are a little short on horsepower for heavy dirt work. I have found that the three-point attachments wide enough to cover the wheel tracks tend to tax the tractor on the power side.

Will your 1320 with a loader do the job? Yes, most likely. For a minimal investment of a loader and a box scraper you can perform the grading and clean-up. But, if your 1320 is two-wheel drive, I'd look for a bigger tractor.

There are a few more questions that you should ask yourself:

- Is my tractor worth the investment of these tools? (How many hours are on it? Are there any mechanical issues that should be taken care of?)

- Would I need to upgrade to a larger pickup truck and/or trailer to safely haul a 35-hp. tractor & loader? (The anwer to this question may be more expensive than a new tractor.)

- Do you forsee that you will need a larger tractor in a few years? (If so, you may want to carefully analyze the best move.)

- Are there small-business tax implications of a tractor upgrade, now or in the future? (Ask your accountant. That's what they're for.)

I think that the 30-40 hp. tractor is the size that would be ideal, too. Most small contractors and landscapers in my area have tractors of that same size. It isn't too small or too big. But you must determine if it works in your situation.

Regarding the "tipping" dangers...just remember to always keep your loader bucket as low as practical. Don't make turns or use it on slopes with the bucket above hood level. Put fluid in the rear tires and always have your box scraper on the back. I haven't had any problems with the 1520, but have buckled my seatbelt in preparation for the worst.

/ Ford 1320 FEL? #3  
Pardon me, Pingman...Welcome to TractorByNet!

/ Ford 1320 FEL?
Besides the cost factor, the reason I'm trying to stick with my 1320 is it only has 385 hrs on it!

/ Ford 1320 FEL? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Besides the cost factor, the reason I'm trying to stick with my 1320 is it only has 385 hrs on it! )</font>

In my PM to you I suggested trading in your 1320, but now that I see it only has 385 hr, I might suggest selling it outright. If it's in great shape, you may be able to sell it for a premium and have a big down-payment on something like a TC30. Otherwise, a 1320 like that will be a great trade-in because the dealer knows he will be able to sell it quickly. Equipment_junkie has given you advice I can't improve on. I think I'd buy a new tractor and use the 1320 to offset the cost. If you can get in on a 0% financing deal, that would also be great timing.

...and welcome to TBN. Do you have any pictures of your 1320? We like pictures. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ford 1320 FEL? #6  
Pingman,

Welcome to the forum. I owned a 1320 w/7308 loader for 6 years. I have used the loader a lot for moving soil, 2" rock and snow. The only trouble I had was that the bucket was a little big for the tractor. Mine had a 69" bucket, a load in that thing was a load! Ballast is another issue. This units are a little light in the tail section....and that was with my big butt in the seat /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Take a look at the Westdendorf line of loaders. They mount easily and have a vast variety of additional attachments. I use to fill in around the foundations of some of our local VO-Tech house projects. 2" rock was a load, you just have to adjust accordingly to what you are working with.

I really enjoyed my 1320....you can get a few more horse out of them if you will visit your local diesel mechanic. After I traded mine for my DX33 the dealer took it to a local guy that rebuilds pumps and had it turned up a little. He said it made all the difference in the world in how the little machine worked! Have fun and don't be afraid to use it. I tilled, bladed, mowed and moved a lot of dirt with mine.

/ Ford 1320 FEL? #7  
I have a 1520, and would be very interested in "turning it up" a bit....can anyone explain how that might be done? Are you referring to the motor, or the hydraulics, or both? Thanks!

/ Ford 1320 FEL? #8  
I have a 1300 and a 2120. Equipment junkie pretty much nailed it. One thing to consider is time. I can do a lot of the same projects with these tractors, but the 2120 will do it a lot faster. I have worked the snot right out of the 1300, and it's a great little tractor. Both have their uses for me. Does the 1320 have power steering? If not, the weight of the loader will make the wheel much harder to turn.