Dealer Dealer does not seem interested in dealing

/ Dealer does not seem interested in dealing #1  

Sasha

Hello, I just found this forum and have read a lot of the posts. My husband and I would like to buy a tc30 gear model with a Bush Hog FEL and a rotary cutter. We got a quote from Corriher which is about 300 miles from us. We spoke to the nearest dealer and he gave a price which is about $800.00 more. Judging from what I've read, the Corriher price seems reasonable although not fantastic (just about $16,000 delivered) but we'd have to hire a tow truck to get the tractor off the truck which seems like a bit of coordinating.

This dealer offers free pick and delivery during the warranty period and seems like a nice guy but is totally uninterested in negotiating. I'll check out another dealership tomorrow but it's a good fifty miles away. At least one other poster seemed to be getting the same tractor with hydro for bascially the same price the dealer is offering. I don't think of this area as a high price area but I've never bought a tractor before. I would gladly buy a used one but there don't seem to be any of that type available.

We were thinking of going in and just telling him exactly what figures we have and offering to split the difference. It's not like he has what we want on the lot, we'd have to wait two weeks anyway. $800.00 dollars seems a lot for local service, it is?

Thanks

/ Dealer does not seem interested in dealing #2  
The dealer a long ways away knows he won't have you knocking on his door for every little loose connection or problem, so he can cut a bare minimum deal and you are gone, out of his hair, if you buy from him. You'll maybe go to the local dealer for the questions and hope for answers.

The dealer close has to cover his expected expenses when you ask for his attention. He can't do it for free.

$800 isn't a big difference, IMO (not my money /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

I like to keep my local dealer happy, and keep him around for the future, just in case I need some help. I don't quibble about price, but ask for his best deal with me. Then I take it or leave it, and decide if I want to spend that amount of money. I don't second guess my decision and wonder if I "really got the best deal". Just an opinion. Not trying to suggest you do anything different. But something to think about.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the great bunch of members here.

/ Dealer does not seem interested in dealing #3  
I agree, support your local dealer as you will expect him to support you. If the $800 difference is really that big a concern and you are willing to split the difference just go in and offer them what you are willing to pay. If they accept then good, if they don't then walk out and tell them to call you if they change their mind. In most cases they will change their mind before you ever get out the door once they know you are serious.

/ Dealer does not seem interested in dealing #4  
I purchased my TC24 from Corriher. For me it was almost a $2k savings. About an hour before the truck showed up he called to get final directions and let me know his eta. I had called someone with a rolloff prior to make sure he would be availible. I was a bit worked up about it, but the trucker was a really nice guy. It ended up being a non issue.

I think for a decent local dealer the $800 isn't that big of a savings. If the difference were more, or the local dealer a real jerk/fly by night/bad service operation it would tip the scales the other way.

/ Dealer does not seem interested in dealing #5  
We purchased a TC45DA w/FEL & 7' finish mower about a month ago. The price the dealer quoted was about $650 more than Corriher. The dealer moved off his price by adding wheel weights at no additional cost. In the end, he was about $400 higher than Corriher.

If I were you, I would tell the dealer the price you are getting from Corriher. I would make sure that the Corriher pricing is for the exact model and specifications you would be ordering from the dealer (you will need to include the delivery charge too). Let him know you are not sure that you can justify the additional $800 and ask him how close he can come to the Corriher price. Believe me, he has been through this exercise before.

If he does not come down in price, I would still buy from the dealer. Remember that you will be needing his service and advice for years to come and will want to start off on a good foot. Paying 5% more is worth it in my view.

Good luck.

/ Dealer does not seem interested in dealing #6  
I guess there are lots of ways to "negotiate" on prices, but I never pit one dealer against another by telling them what price I've gotten elsewhere. I either decide which one's offer I'm willing to take, or if I want to buy from a particular one, knowing someone else is cheaper, then I simply tell the one I want to buy from how much I'm willing to pay.

/ Dealer does not seem interested in dealing #7  
Sasha,

Welcome to TBN. First of all prices vary from area to area so another poster getting a better may be an area issue. But I do like your style of going in and offering to split the differernce. As Bird said he hates to use one dealer against the other and I agree but I am not so sure you would be doing that in this case. I would go into the local dealer and tell him you are having a hard time making up your mind on the difference of $800.00. And then ask him if he is willing to split the difference. On a sale that large I guess I sure would split it if I was the dealer. If he doesn't budge then maybe this isn't the dealer you want. There is no sense of spending $800 more and having a bad dealer. Check the one 50 miles away and see how you like him. But if you really like the local dealer then the $800 more is a drop in the bucket over the life of having your tractor for a good dealer.

murph

/ Dealer does not seem interested in dealing
Now I'm all mixed up. I went to the other "New Holland" Dealer today. I put "new Holland" in quotes because the vast majority of his stock is Kubota and he really recomended them. He also really pushed the hydro drive and now I am feeling very unsure.

I read one of the threads that discussed the pros and cons of purchasing long distance and the danger that it can result in dealers being forced to lower their prices beyond the point of profitability and I am sensitive to that that so we'd probably go with the local guy for that reason alone; I just don't want to get taken. I hate negotiating and wish they just had one price and stuck to it. It would be so much easier.

Thanks for the input.

/ Dealer does not seem interested in dealing #9  
Sasha, since you are in VA and you are getting lower prices from NC, is state sales tax part of the issue? That $800 is exactly 5% of your $16,000 purchase price, so I'm thinking there may be something related to sales tax. Also, you can expect the local dealer to be a little more for all the reasons you've mentioned.

Are you interested in taking a road trip? Newton, NC is only about 250 miles from Suffolk, so you could fairly easily take that trip down and pick your tractor up at the door. Heck, you might rent a trailer and bring the tractor home yourself, but you'd still have a long way to go for service. Ouch! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BTW: Can you tell us the exact model Bush Hog loader you are interested in? Did both dealers quote you the same loader or did one quote the NH 7308? New Holland's loader is a little more expensive, but you have the added security of knowing it is sized properly for your tractor.

There are lots of issues when buying a tractor. Sometimes you just have to sit down with pencil and paper and write everything down to keep all the options straight. Otherwise you feel like a juggler in training, trying to keep all the balls in the air at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Dealer does not seem interested in dealing #10  
Hey beenthere, very well put................... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Keep it local or as close as possible.