Price Check Ford 4000 price & ?'s

/ Ford 4000 price & ?'s #1  

acw

Ford 4000 price & ?\'s

I'm new to tractors, but have a need for a tractor for general utility work on my property (driveway maintenance, mowing, light field work). I know someone selling a Ford 4000 4-cyl. gas tractor with SOS tranny. I have yet to check it over well, but it has recently received a new radiator and is said to run well. It has been repainted at some point, and certainly looks clean and well-kept at this point. A few ?'s:

-- Will this tractor mount a front-end loader? It seems that I've seen pictures of a 4000 with a loader, but wasn't sure if it needed to have been configured for this from the factory ...

-- I've looked over posts of things to look for when checking out old Fords, but anything specific to this tractor?

-- Any opinions in general of this tractor for general utility use, esp. the SOS tranny, of which I've seen mixed reviews ...

-- The asking price is $4000, which can probably be haggled to include a Woods 5' finish mower. I think this is a good deal -- any opinions?

Thanks for any input you could give!

Andrew

/ Ford 4000 price & ?'s #2  
Re: Ford 4000 price & ?\'s

Andrew,
Welecome aboard. I'm new here too, but will try to answer a couple of questions. I am assuming the transmission is the Select-o-Matic. That transmission has a checkered history and is either loved (when it works) or hated (when it doesn't). You might check with the local NH dealer about possible service. There maybe problems with getting parts and finding someone who can still work on these.

I have a '64 4000, the last year of the 4 cyl. It has power steering and a remote. I have the 5 speed with "shuttle shift". 3rd & revers line up and it is great for loader work. I have an Kelly loader. I'm not sure about mounting a loader on a tractor with a Shift-o-Matic.

This is a great general purpose tractor. I've used mine for everything, including baling hay. I haven't use it as a finish mower. My only reservation is the transmission. I'd really try and get it checked out.

Good luck,

/ Ford 4000 price & ?'s #3  

Any tractor with a Selecto-Speed transmission is a poor choice for a first-time tractor owner with little experience and expertise in making repairs. The odds are long against getting reliable, safe, economical service out of this tractor regardless of what you can find out about it. If you put another grand with the asking price, you should be able to find a tractor from the next later series with better features and strengths to handle loader duties and other demands you will have.

/ Ford 4000 price & ?'s #4  

The 4000 handles a loader fine.. the gas engine is no problem...the SOS tranny may be a concern. As others have said.. if it is working correctly, and had all factory services done to correct any defects early in life.. then it should provide years of use. If it already has lingering uncorected defects.. then it is just waiting for a new tranny.. Ford did a lot of in-field services to correct SOS tranny problems.

New parts are NLA, there are used and rebuilt parts available for some models.. as well as the option for a gear tranny possibly.

If it were me.. I'd use an SOS tranny as a parade or show piece.. and a gear tranny for work.

Still price does sound right, if you can get the finish mower.. your call. 3000's go int hat range around here.

Soundguy

/ Ford 4000 price & ?'s

Hmm ... thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm a little torn -- I did get a chance to drive it, and the tranny works fine right now. The bottom line, though, is that I'm mostly interested in it as a work tractor and I'm not really looking for any projects right now -- I'd probably better keep looking.

Rick B -- what later series of Fords do you think I should be looking at? Any favorites for the purposes I listed?

Thanks.

/ Ford 4000 price & ?'s #6  

I much prefer the 3 cylinder 4000 series 8 speed and subsequent 4600 to the 3 cylinder 2000 and 3000 as well as the earlier 4 cylinder 4000. The front axle and steering gear are MUCH stronger, they offer wet disc brakes that are not prone to glazing and poor performance caused by leaking axle seals. The PTO is independent and generally convenient and durable. Most parts interchange with later series and should be available for the forseeable future. My feeling is that any Ford with the radius rod style front axle is a poor choice for loader duty; and a risk if the loader has been in use for 30-40 years on that axle.

/ Ford 4000 price & ?'s #7  

Yep.. any ford axle using the radious rod ends up having a worn king pin after loader use. However.. that's not a super collossal job to replace a kingpin and bushing.

A ford 3400 is also a good choice.. they are basically an upgraded 3000 and can be had with the HD axle.

Soundguy