TC33DA vs. L3130--must decide

/ TC33DA vs. L3130--must decide #1  

topshop

Bronze Member
Thanks to good advice from here, I have ruled out the Kubota L3030 as too light for my needs and have narrowed my final choice between the Kubota L3130 and NH TC33DA. My challenge is that I want to mow lawn and do some brush hogging, trail building, and occasional logging on my 80 acres.

The TC33DA is a great size for my needs. If Kubota made a similar sized tractor with comparable features, I'd probably choose it because I never hear of problems with Kubotas, but I have with NH (three friends). So I lean toward the L3130 even though it's a bit large for my lawn and trails. The L3400 isn't in the running because I like the features of the other two. I would appreciate thoughts on this choice between the L3130 and the TC33DA, and also reaction to the pricing of the two tractors and equipment below:

L3130 HST with LA723 FEL $19,300
Loaded commercial R4 tires and block heater included
Land Pride FDR16 72" rear discharge finish mower $1,700
Land Pride RCR18 72" rotary cutter $1,500

NH TC33DA (no SS) with 14LA FEL $19,300 (identical price)
Loaded R4 commercial tires and block heater included
Woods RD7200 rear discharge finish mower $1,950
R260 Bush Hog 60' rotary cutter $795 (light duty)

Tractor and FEL same price, so choice is about quality and usability. I plan to pull the trigger soon, so would appreciate the thoughts of those with experience with one or both of these tractors or brands. Thanks, as always.

Post Extras: Print Post | Remind Me! | Notify Moderator | E-Mail Post

/ TC33DA vs. L3130--must decide #2  
I just ordered a TC40DA and like so many here have said, get the one that feels right to you. I chose the tc over the Kubota 4330 i was comparing it to because I preferred the feel of the dual hst pedals and location of the loader joystick.

/ TC33DA vs. L3130--must decide #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
The TC33DA is a great size for my needs. If Kubota made a similar sized tractor with comparable features, I'd probably choose it because I never hear of problems with Kubotas, but I have with NH (three friends). So I lean toward the L3130 even though it's a bit large for my lawn and trails.)</font>

Get the one the you feel fits you the best with the dealer that you think is going to give you the best support. Yes, I have a New Holland, did I have troubles, not really other than some linkage adjustments and had some water problems in the fuel tank. But I know of people that have Kubota and Kubota has their problems also. Just check out the Kubota forum. What I am saying is you can have trouble with either one of them. In fact all the tractors out there you can have trouble. Neither one is any good without dealer support. Go with the one you like.

murph

/ TC33DA vs. L3130--must decide #4  
I don't think you would go wrong with either choice. I would go sit on them both for awhile, and just see how the tractor fits you. Climb on and off a dozen times also. As previously mentioned the dealer is also a big consideration.

/ TC33DA vs. L3130--must decide #5  
Both deals look fairly comparable. I personally really like the Woods deck over the Land Pride. Try to get some seat time on each tractor. Check out the manueverabiltity, shifting, going from forward to reverse, smoothness of the hydro, loader controls and operation, etc, and see which feels best to you.

/ TC33DA vs. L3130--must decide #6  
And one other thing, if you buy a New Holland your friends will still be your friends!! If you buy a Kubota your friends won't be your friends any more /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck in your decision

murph

/ TC33DA vs. L3130--must decide #7  
I recently was shopping for a new tractor. I had narrowed it down to a Kubota 3030 and a NH TC33DA. I also seriously looked at the L3130 but the kubota dealer headed me off saying that there was a weight to power ratio problem with the 3130. He recommended a 3830 when using HST and a FEL. The L series are heavy tractors and the 3130 is a 30 hp same as the B3030 which is about half the weight. I ended up with the NH which was about 1000 lbs. lighter (2500 lbs. ) but 33 hp. The 3030 was to light at 1700 lbs, for my needs. I added a 15LA loader and I also got supersteer which works great when I bushhog in wooded areas. I have a Bushhog SQ600 rotary cutter and it balances well with the TC33DA. I think a 6' cutter might even be pushing it for a L3130. My only regret is that I have R4 tires and at times I wish I had gotten R1's for better traction. Both are great tractors just have to figure out which fits you the best.

/ TC33DA vs. L3130--must decide #8  
RexT makes a good point about the weight to power ratio on the 3130. Kubota uses basically the same frame size from the 3130 to the 4630, a 15 HP range (you only gain 200 lbs from the 3130 to the 4630, most of it engine). NH and CIH use two frame sizes in the same horspower range, what they call Class II and Class III. The size of these two "classes" are very different, with the class III being 400-700 lbs heavier and a 9" longer wheelbase than the class II. Therefore, you could make the claim that the 3130, with the same frame size for "class II and III", is underpowered for it's frame size. If the Kubota dealer is steering you away from the 3130, I would be concerned, but who knows maybe it has plenty of power to get the job done.

Also, Deere is doing the same thing with their new 3020 and 4020 series as Kubota has done with their L30s. That is, they use the same frame size for a large horsepower range. For instance, a 3120 (29.5 hp) rides on the exact same frame as the 3720 (44 hp). It makes sense, utilizing economies of scale to cut costs. On the other hand, this may affect performance on the lower HP models. Keep in mind, this is all theoretical.... does anyone have any thoughts?

/ TC33DA vs. L3130--must decide #9  
The TC33 vs the Kubota L3130

The L3130 is physically a larger machine and aggressively priced. But what about performance for the operator? For the homeowner/estate owner this is going to be a bulkier unit to maneuver than the TC33. It’s more difficult to get on and off of the larger L3130, especially for women and senior citizens. Visibility to the front and to the sides will be greatly impaired vs. the New Holland design not only due to the larger physical size but due to Kubota’s long flat hood and the bulky dog-leg design loader. Get on the unit and take a look for yourself. The L3130 is a tank compared to the TC33! Do the “blind spot” visibility demonstration which is how much and how far you can see close to the front and sides of the loader. This is a real eye-opener and the NH unit wins this competition by about 5 feet.

Does the homeowner/estate owner care about compaction and turf damage on his lawn? Probably yes. The TC33 design will be much more forgiving on his turf vs. the larger L3130. And what about parking the tractor in the garage? Generally space is at a premium.

Swivel seat, incline/decline plane, sloped hood design, tilt/telescoping steering column, color-coded embossed controls; these all add up to the user-friendly aspect of the rugged but compact TC33.

Commercial Operators

Obviously the commercial operator will be in many cases more inclined to go for the larger unit, but again what about soil compaction and turf damage? That’s a consideration. The TC33 will still outperform the larger L3130 in confined spaces and on many landscaping jobs. The TC33 has more engine horsepower and more PTO horsepower than the larger L3130, in other words, better horsepower-to-weight ratio. That means productivity. The L3130 has to drag around more dead weight with less horsepower than the TC33. This can mean a sluggish performance and fuel inefficiency. And fuel economy is extremely important with today’s diesel prices. The commercial operator may even have to buy a larger more expensive trailer to haul his L3130 vs. a TC33. This might be a deciding factor.

Loaders

The homeowner will appreciate the styling of New Holland’s curved boom design. And again, visibility from the operator platform is no contest. Do the blind spot demonstration. Safety of superior visibility.
The commercial operator will appreciate Kubota’s higher lift capacity but he needs to balance that with the safety and productivity advantage of the New Holland design. Remember, superior visibility means superior safety AND productivity. Does Kubota offer cast boom ends, rifle-barrel grease zerks and an industrial strength rectangular torque tube? No they don't!! These are real commercial grade loaders. Durability should be a major consideration for the commercial operator and New Holland has the advantage.

The “Big Three”:

OK, I saved the easiest for last. NH Supersteer/Sensitrak is a NH exclusive, regardless of the size of tractor the customer prefers.

1.The smallest turnaround diameter for greater productivity, quicker job completion and more fun.
2.Sensitrak automatic engage/disengage of 4wd for less turf damage and less tire damage. “Set It and Forget It”.
3.Longer wheelbase for a more comfortable, stable and safe feeling ride. You can really tell the difference. Try it!

/ TC33DA vs. L3130--must decide #10  
OK, I'm a little biased, take a look at a CK30, small, heavy, 5K cheaper.