TN70 & TN75 Owners: Are you happy?

/ TN70 & TN75 Owners: Are you happy? #1  

LittleBear

Bronze Member
There is a NH dealer close to my farm. I have always been a Kubota/Deere man in the past. I saw a TN70, 12x12 trans, 4x4, canopy, grill guard, with R4 19.5x24 and R4 10.5x20 for $24,750. I liked the looks, and I am tempted. However, there seems to be a lot of chatter on the tractor message boards regarding problems with these models.

Any maker can produce a lemmon. I have found Kubota and Deere to be first rate in the past, but I have never even talked to anyone who owns a NH.

Those of you that purchased the TN70 or TN75, what are your impressions of this tractor? Is it well made with minimal problems?

/ TN70 & TN75 Owners: Are you happy? #2  
Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

A couple of things to keep in mind;

1. This is a compact tractor board, so while there are people on TBN who own TN series tractors, it's not a large population of users. So, it might take a while to get responses and people might not be as familiar with prices.
2. People are much more likely to post problems here, so don't form your opinion of the TN model soley based on posts here.
3. There are several dealers who can respond. One already has in the other thread you started.
4. While the tractor is important, the dealer is equally as important. Make sure your local dealer is someone you can trust and deal with.

/ TN70 & TN75 Owners: Are you happy?
Mike, I did not realize that this was a compact tractor forum. Sorry about that. It looks like you are right about posts being few and far between. Is there a forum out there that better matches my interest in the TN series? I did a search, but could not find one.

I will not purchase a TN series until I am reasonably sure on the build quality issue. So far, looking at all of the available info, the jury is still out. I may have to go to the JD or Kubota option (which I know are good, but far away) if I cannot resolve the TN build quality issue. Yes, there are some who attest to the TN as a good tractor, however there seems to be just as many (if not more) nay sayers.

The very best input is from real TN owners as opposed to NH dealers or persons with a vested interest in NH. This input is there, but it's mostly negative.

/ TN70 & TN75 Owners: Are you happy? #5  
Littlebear,

I have seen one maybe two guys on here that have had a bad eperince with a TN. But I know a hand full that love them and have no problems. As mike said most people post when they have problems that need solutions.

I own a TN70D and for the last ~4 years have used it for farm work. This is hard work on steep ground and the machine has run flawlesly. In fact many of my neighbors wish they had a similar machine.

So do not be sacred of that NH, I think you will find they are very reliable and capable machines. I looked at the others first and went with NH because it was the best machine at the best price IMHO.

fred

Thanks for the input Fred. Which transmission do you have? I asked a dealer for a price on a TN70 with 16x16 Synchro with mechanical shuttle, but he said it was not available. I showed him a page from the NH website describing the mechanical shuttle, but he said it was canceled.

What is the single biggest thing that you like and dislike about the tractor?

/ TN70 & TN75 Owners: Are you happy? #7  
Littlebear,

I have the 16x16 manual tranny, but my machine is ~4 years old.
The 16 gears are nice. You are probably aware that this gives you 16 in forward and 16 in reverse. The low range is very handy for a blade when digging a ditch, or leveling dirt. I run a 9' hydro controlled rear blade with this tractor.
Rear Blade on a TN70D
It's almost too much blade for my tractor and farm baceuse the ground is very rough. But I think the blade is rated for upto 125 hp, so I knew I was at the low end when I bought it.
In 4wd the blade can drag the tractor to a halt if you take too big of a bite. The low range gears really help in these cases.

What I like best about it is the power and traction. So far I have not had this tractor stuck once, and like I said I am using it for hard farm work.

The only thing I do not like about it is that I wish I had the electric shuttle on the colum. I have to clutch this tractor to go from forward to reverse. This is a pain when stacking round bales or using the loader. It can still be done of course but it is slow.
They offered a shuttle for ~$1000 or 2 extra but I did not see the need when I bought it. That was a mistake.

I also would have gone with a 75 in hindsight. The extra 5 hp is not a big deal, but the larger hyrdo pump and associated flow rate would have been worth the extra money.

Also I would get the three remotes at the time of purchase. I added the third renote after the fact and the parts cost me what it would have cost to get them upfront installed. And the install is not a five min job.....
Third remote Install
If you run a loader and you also run something like a baler that needs a remote, you will want the third remote. Otherwise you need to disconnect all or part of the loader to run the baler.

Note that all my negatives revolve around a slight upgrade in the same NH line. Truth is I love these TNs. They are just great machines.

Fred

Great post Fred. I love that blade! I also wanted the ultra low speeds that the 16x16 offers. Most creeper gear kits will drive the tractor slow, but not at full power. The fact that you can drive slow and at full power is a real plus. I’ll ask the dealer for a price with the 16x16 power shuttle in a TN75.