TC45 or other?

/ TC45 or other? #1  

sturmster

Tractor
Old Fords - would like new New Holland
My first post out here so wish me luck. This will probably be long so please hand in there. Here is my question. I am looking to upgrade an old Ford 4500 (industrial, 50hp, gas) to a new/newer tractor. I have been pricing and talking to dealers about a 45hp tractor and am comparing the TC45, Kioti DK45, Kubota 4310, and a Century 2045. Obviously, the Century is the cheapest in price at about 20% less than the TC45(plain) and about 30% less than the Kubota/TC45S. Pretty significant dollar difference ($4000 to the TC45 plain) but I really worry about the resale value of the non-major tractor lines. Kioti falls in the middle but I saw they have a 5 year warranty. That impressed me. Most other specs are (pto HP, transmissions, hydraulic output at remotes, tractor weight, etc) in line. The Century line has a Yanmar engine (same as JD, I think) but the dealer has only picked up the line this spring. The dealer happens to be a Case-IH dealer that couldn't get the new compact line(NH dealer too close I think). So, I'm looking for opinions and experience on the comparisons above. Cheap and risk resale, expensive but an inventment, something more in the middle.

To add more options, I really wanted a full size tractor (ie TN55) but can't afford the bump to that size of tractor in the near future - but probably am heading that way on a 5 year plan. The other route I am considering is going used and going for a full size tractor in a name brand (CIH,JD,NH). Probably start visiting Farm auctions and see what I can find. I grew up on a farm and have pretty decent mechanical skills so I'm willing to take a risk of buying without using a dealer. (I've restored two 8n's and have a full shop). Granted, a new machine is much more complex than an 8n, just a sidebar to show that I can fix my own small mechanical problems).

To complete the puzzle, I live on a small acreage (4.5 acres). I plan on doing some fel loader work with it. I also have hay (<3 acres) so I run a sickle mower, hay rake, small square baler, pull a hay rack. If bought a full size tractor I would plan on owning for a long time, compact would be probably be upgraded unless it handled the hay production well.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Sturmster

/ TC45 or other? #2  
I went with a TN 65. When you start dealing with the high horsepower compacts, options that are standard on the bigger tractors can push the price up until it's almost as high. I was quoted around $23,500 for a TC 45 and $24,500 for a JD 4600 with the options I wanted. I bought the TN 65 for $25,086. I could have saved $1,800 by not getting the MSL loader and dropping to the TN 55. Check your dealers incentives. My dealer found a $750 spiff that wasn't in the first quote. How much can you afford to pay a month? Saving $10 a month by buying a smaller tractor than you need is bad math if you have to trade up a month down the road. What are the PTO HP ratings of the implements you are planning to use? Just because the implement is rated 35 to 75 HP doesn't mean that it will work really well at 35 HP. That HP spread just broadens the market for sales. How does it feel? I climbed on a TC 45 and thought it was a nice little tractor. I climbed on the TN and, after I figured out how to raise the seat for my long legs, thought WOW! I'm Home! I also liked the taller reach and higher payload capacity of the loader. I set up and rent mobile homes and I'm tired of humping blocks and base pads off my truck or lowboy to the ground and back up when I need them. I'm also tired of having a pile of concrete in the way that is a pain in the ass to move if I need to. A pallet of blocks or basepads is 3000 pounds so I couldn't see buying a lighter rated loader. You have to think of everything you might ever want to do with it before you make the leap. Have Fun! :)

/ TC45 or other? #3  
Sturmster, you might go to a bigger tractor, but I can't imagine how 4.5 acres can justify more than the TC45. I guess I would check on the hay baler and other implements for their recommended hp rating and then buy based on that. I think for hauling, the choice is obvious. The lighter the tactor, the lighter the trailer and hauling vehicle required. The TC45 with 16LA loader just fits well on an 16', 7,000 lb GVW trailer. If you want to haul it with box blade or rotary cutter, you will need 18'. Have you ever considered having your hay baled by someone else and going for a lighter tractor? I know you have to make up your own mind, and we do like our toys, but a bigger TN model seems overkill to me. Just my opinion...

JimI

/ TC45 or other? #4  
Sturmster

I have a TC45D & haven't had very good luck with it. (it is unreliable & it won't do everything I want it to) It sounds like you actually will use it for growing crops & to me that says move up to a bigger machine. My unit really really struggles with a 2 bottom plow in heavy soil. The tractor is too light weight & the hydro transmition is junk if you want to pull hard on anything. Look for more power. Don't make the same mistake I did. I would look away from the TCs in your case.

Troy