TN 70, Transmissions

/ TN 70, Transmissions #1  

DaveHerndon

Tractor
New Holland TN70
Hi folks, first off, glad to be here. This web site is awesome! I lucked into finding it and look forward to visiting often.

I have a 135 Acre farm here in NC, maybe 90 of it is pasture (some of which needs major work as it was neglected). I've been shopping around and have decided that the TN70 NH model is what I think I want and need. I'm looking at the FWD model, no cab but fiberglass canopy, with a woods 1020 loader.

I have a 1949 8n tractor now (Bessie...heh) that I of course would never part it, but I need something bigger to get closer to getting my cows installed (i'm a software developer full-time, therefore, you'll get geek speak intermixed with farm-speak).

I'm a little confused though about the transmissions offered on the TN series. I want the power shuttle option for use with the loader, but it seems there are two flavors of this transmission:

8x8 constant mesh transmission with mechanical shuttle shift
8x8 Synchro Command™ transmission with mechanical or power shuttle shift

What exactly is the difference in the last 8x8 option? "synchro with mech or power shuttle shift".

What exactly is the "synchro" part? What exactly is mech or power then on top of this? My 8n is so simple ....<g>. One dealer told me I didn't want the "power" option as it makes it harder to have fine control over clutching slowly up something...like backing up to an implement. Is this so?

Amazingly (or not), both dealers I have talked to have both come to right at $25,000 for this tractor (FWD, with Shuttle). One dealer even broke the price down, so he says, by how much his cost is and added $1000 to it for his profit and the tractor price itself is based on a current promotion which includes an 18% discount.

They both told me too that next week NH will be announcing their new promotions.....I will be interested to see if they go deeper on the discounts and/or offer some killer financing (i'd love 0.0% for 3 years....).

Thanks.....
Dave Herndon
Grover, NC

/ TN 70, Transmissions #2  
The mechanical shuttle is a lever on the left side of the seat that you push or pull for what direction you want to go. I have the 8x8 Synchro with mechanical shuttle and have no problems. The power shuttle is a lever mounted under the steering wheel that you flip forward or backwards and it automatically slows the tractor and puts it in reverse, you do not touch the clutch or anything. I didn't like this feature as I prefer to be able to use the clutch and it was a $1000 option. I also didn't think it would be to feasible for most farm use. I have a TN-65 and it is a great tractor except for a loose bolt or two that was all covered under warranty. If you plan on getting into cattle you might want the TN-75 as it gives you a tad bit more power that you might appreciate but you are getting a good deal on you tractor so it would probally be quite a bit more for the 75. What type of farm are you starting?
a369.jpg

<font color=blue>Robert Turk Jr.</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>Whitetail Splendor Deer Farms</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>Silver Creek, NY</font color=blue>

/ TN 70, Transmissions #3  
I don't think you'll need the power shuttle. My TN65 is not a leg killer like my 8N is. I used the clutch a lot before I bought it to make sure. I was quoted $2500 extra for the power shuttle. That and the added complexity queered me on it real quick.

/ TN 70, Transmissions
Thanks for the replies.

With the mechanical shuttle (lever on the left beside the steering wheel, right?) you still have to clutch to change fwd/reverse directions then, right? But you can shift fwd/reverse without changing gears, correct?

That's not bad, I just want to make sure I understand...I can live with that for sure to save $1000. I think though i'll go test drive both if I can ......

As for what type of Farm, i'm just going to work up to 30-50 head of beef cattle over the next couple of years....I need to make a little money on the land and work it back into ag-use tax status as well......

Thanks for the feeback!!!

Dave.

/ TN 70, Transmissions #5  
The lever is to the left of the seat and is easy to use, you do still have to use the clutch but that is no problem, you do not have to change gears, during loader work I usually work in 3 low and have no problems. Good luck with your farm and your tractor purchase.

/ TN 70, Transmissions #6  
Here\'s the important difference.

TN and TL tractors with the PowerShuttle use mulitple-disc wet clutches to drive the tractor in Forward and Reverse. There is no dry clutch and non-relubeable release bearing to wear out, especially under heavy loader use. Wet clutches are far more durable. The electonics package that controls the shuttle clutches is proving to be reliable. If the price differential is $1000, that is a real bargain IMHO.

/ TN 70, Transmissions
Re: Here\'s the important difference.

Hi Rick, yeah, as it turns out, the dealer i'm working with has the TN70 on his lot with the power shuttle, and he's basically giving me the tractor at the mechanical shuttle price. I didn't think I would go this route, but I drove it on Friday afternoon, and the power shuttle rocks!!!! I hope to close the deal this morning.......

Dave.

/ TN 70, Transmissions #8  

Dave - I own a TN65 with the powershuttle for forward and reverse, when I bought the tractor I thought it might be a gimmick, but it is probably the feature I like best about the tractor. I only have about 80 hours on mine, but the powershuttle has worked great so far.

/ TN 70, Transmissions

Well, it's a done deal now...TN70 will be delivered this friday!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback...i'm looking forward (and backward) to shuttling! <G>

Dave.

/ TN 70, Transmissions #10  

What was the rough price you got on it and what other options did you go with?