Ford 1710 engine problem

/ Ford 1710 engine problem #1  

Surgeon

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1428
Does anyone know of problems with the Ford 1710 diesel engine? I have the opportunity to buy a 1710 with the farm I am buying. As I was doing some research I ask a friend who is a garden tractor service guy about Ford compact tractors. He said had taken a 1710 in trade with a blown motor. What concerned him was that when he ordered a motor from the local Ford parts supplier the counter guy knew the part number for the motor by heart. My friend thought this to be a bad omen and thought I should be very careful and do more homework.

/ Ford 1710 engine problem #2  
I think thats more rumer than fact. I have one and it just purrs along. The things to look for in any used tractor are general overall condition and any signs of neglect. It the tractor looks good, doesn't leak oil, and starts right up its probably alright. The problem though with those old Fords is that IF you should need serious parts or work its gonna be expensive, that said, I'd still buy one if it was in good mechanical condition.

attached pic is my 1710 mowing a field

Attachments

• 782908-P1020323.jpg
    782908-P1020323.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,062
   / Ford 1710 engine problem #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the local Ford parts supplier the counter guy knew the part number for the motor by heart )</font>

I'm not so sure that is a bad omen.. might just be a good counterperson.

The last few parts i walke dinto the local NH dealer to get were a belt for my 1975 5000 and a fuel line and valve for my 2002 NH 7610s.. Counterperson knew those numbers off the top of his head too? Does that mean there are a run of bad fuel lines and belts? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Same with the local JD dealer.. I walke din to get an oil filter for my 1950 JD-B.. parts guy just handed it over from the shelf.. again.. he knew this filter ( it's a commonly use done ). Again.. I don't see that as a bad omen.. just an informed counterperson..

Soundguy

/ Ford 1710 engine problem #4  
Pretty sure the 1710 had the same engine as the 1720. My 1720 was (and still is according to my Dad who bought it) one of the best and most popular machines Ford and later NH made. The engine never gave me a lick of problems and started right up summer and winter, even though it sat in an open sided shed for several years. I worked it pretty hard doing just about everything from light farming to mowing to working in the woods.

/ Ford 1710 engine problem #5  
I purchased a 1710 this year. It is a great tractor but it did have a rebuilt motor. It spun a bearing at the dealer and they rebuilt the bottom end. I had it for a few days and noticed it had a head problem from overheating. Any way the dealer fixed it but has over 6k in the tractor. almost as much as I payed for it. I think it spun the bearing due to the head problem. Just check it over carefully.

/ Ford 1710 engine problem #6  
PondHill,

Curious what you mean by "Head problem". How did you notice it?

Now I'm paranoid about my 1700. But all the 1710s I'v seen have been great little tractors with very few problems. My neighbor has 2 and I work with a guy who has one. Also happy with my 1700, same engine manufacturer, but earlier 2 cylinder VS the 3 cylinder in the 1710.

Chris