TC35/40/45 very similar?

/ TC35/40/45 very similar? #1  

BruceNorthEast

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35A
I've heard that the only real difference between the TC35, TC40 and TC45 is the engine itself.

I was told by one dealer that some of the values are derated on the '35 but it has the same frame, transmission, hydraulics, etc.

He said something about it being derated due to the peak HP on the '35 not happening where they need to state it... All I can guess that he meant here was that when the engine is revving for the PTO to be at the standard 540 RPMs, the engine is not at peak HP and would reach it if the throttle was moved (up?). Doesn't that implie that the '35 cant supply enough power to run the pumps & PTO while moving?

The 16LA FEL that they put onto the TC35 is exactly the same as the one they put onto the TC40/45 isn't it? Yet the specs are a little worse on the '35. If the frame is the same (which comparing the dimensions on the specs indicates that it may well be) then why would the FEL be rated for lower values? (even the breakout force is rated about 300 lbs lower for the '35 vs the '40/45 - even at the bucket pivot pins! shouldn't this be independent of the tractor? engine?) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If the hydraulics are the same, why would the 3PH be listed as 305 lbs weaker? Is it the HP issue alluded to earlier? If so, the '35 doesn't have enough power at the 540 PTO RPM setting to power the hydraulics? Or is this marketing?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not to understate the difference between the engines, as the four cylinder units in the '40/45 are significantly more powerful & no doubt better overall.

But are the engines really the only difference and if so why the variation in specs?
Bruce.

/ TC35/40/45 very similar? #2  
Bruce, the only differences are the engines. The 35 is a 3 cyl and the 40/45 are four cyl. There is a little associated weight difference because of that. On the 35, the hydraulic relief pressure is adjusted lower, so the loader and 3PH won't lift quite as much. Other than those differences, the only remaining difference is the decals. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ TC35/40/45 very similar? #3  
<font color="blue">...the only remaining difference is the decals. </font>
And the price! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ TC35/40/45 very similar? #4  
Bruce, you just shim up the relief valve a bit with few shims, from the NH shim kit. Bumps you up to the 2500psi.

/ TC35/40/45 very similar? #5  
According to my parts CD, The axle shaft on the 35 is different (part # is different and is lighter in weight) than that used on the 40 & 45 models. The rear axle housings and bearings are also different.

/ TC35/40/45 very similar? #6  
May be wrong but I thought the relief setting was also higher from the factory on the Boomer's equipped with SuperSteer.

/ TC35/40/45 very similar? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( According to my parts CD, The axle shaft on the 35 is different (part # is different and is lighter in weight) than that used on the 40 & 45 models. The rear axle housings and bearings are also different. )</font>

Tractorman, you are correct! Thanks for pointing that out. I had never had the occasion to look up those parts, but there are many parts in my parts manual that are different including the differential and rear axle. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PineRidge: The difference in pressure for the SuperSteer tractor is in the power steering system, not in the main hydraulic system. I think that would be the same for all three Class III Boomers.

/ TC35/40/45 very similar? #8  
jinman & IH3444,

Sounds like you guys are saying I can increase my lift capability on my TC35D especially if NH has a kit to do this. If this is true I sure do not understand why NH would not have all three series of tractors adjusted at the same hydraulic pressure. Maybe it is just marketing.....they are trying to steer you into buying the 40 or 45 Hp model.

/ TC35/40/45 very similar? #9  
I was/am trying to figure out the differences between them, too - knowing very little about any of them, really.

A local dealer told me that he doesn't stock the 35 because the price isn't that much higher for a 40 and you get the much heftier 4 cylinder motor. He's gotten stuck with 35's in the past that he couldn't move. Don't think it was sales hype.

As far as the 45 goes, it seems to me I've read a number of threads here about some quality issues that seemed to be unique to a 45, fir some reason. May have been some things early on when it was first introduced that get re-hashed, though, that have been corrected.

I guess the thing that I find most interesting is that when you see relatively new, but used tractors for sale on ebay and other websites, you see alot of smaller units up to 35's and 45's - but I've rarely seen a 40 - TC or DX. I haven't figured out if this is due to guys buying too light on the first purchase and wanting something bigger (for the 35's and down) and the quality issues on the 45 - or maybe there just aren't that many 40's out there. Or is the 40 that good that most people don't sell them, once purchased? Not that I'd buy from a website, but is there a trend here worth considering?

I'd be curious about the expert's comments here on what may be superficial info.

Thanks!

Andy

/ TC35/40/45 very similar? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sounds like you guys are saying I can increase my lift capability on my TC35D especially if NH has a kit to do this. If this is true I sure do not understand why NH would not have all three series of tractors adjusted at the same hydraulic pressure. )</font>

Vic, I'm certainly not suggesting you adjust your pressure higher than the factory setting even if it can be done. I recently was doing some loader work and thought my loader should perform better. I checked my pressure with a gage and it was set exactly right. Although I know how to increase the pressure, I will not do it. I just don't think it's wise to exceed the manufacturer's specs no matter how much I'd love to have another 250# of lift. I've convinced myself that if I need more lift I should get a bigger tractor. But that's likely to increase the pressure on my checking account above "spec," so I guess I'll just have to be happy a little longer with what I have. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Honestly, in light of what Tractorman has stated and I've verified with my own parts manual, I think it would be wise to not make any out-of-spec adjustments. I think it's more than marketing hype; although, I was a little disappointed to find out the hydro relief valves were all the same. I think actually I was really more surprised than disappointed. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif