What happened to Ford

/ What happened to Ford #1  

HRS

Gold Member
OK guys, could use some help here. I've been looking at tractors for a little while, mostly would love a good "garden" tractor, so I did a little research on tractor, historical, development to get some specs as a benchmark. The Ford N series, like 8N came to the forefront in my search. I find it quite remarkable that Ford, despite the massive influence this company had in developing and marketing the modern tractor is no longer in the buisness of tractors. So what happened? I know the obvious answer, competition, but isn't NewHolland still doing just fine? Does anyone have a link that gives a good explanation as to why Ford pulled out. Or do they still have their hands in this in some way? Thought one of you guys here might know.

Also, looked at the the TC30 2wd today. Good garden tractor for tilling, pulling small planter, etc. Anyone own this machine?

Thanks

/ What happened to Ford #2  
Ford Tractor was sold to Fiat and became New Holland. See this link for the official story. New Holland History

Andy

/ What happened to Ford #3  
HRS,

The story that Andy posted is a good story. In fact it was quite interesting.

The TC30 is a good built for price tractor. A workhorse at that. The people that have them here for the most part have liked them well. But if resale is of any concideration I would think you might want to look at 4 wd. A 2 wd resale may not be good. Just my opinion.

murph

/ What happened to Ford #4  
I found that link a little misleading. It talks about several former American tractor companies but does not mention the fact that the current company is not American. Sure they do a little assembly and a lot of sales over here but I have to believe most of the profits are shipped overseas. Sadly, only one American tractor company remains. While I am thankfull that they still build a good competitive product, I do miss the old days when one could pick from at least three great American tractor companies.

/ What happened to Ford #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also, looked at the the TC30 2wd today. Good garden tractor for tilling, pulling small planter, etc. Anyone own this machine?

Thanks )</font>

Yes, the TC30 is a good machine. I would opt for 4wd. I believe that the 2wd model has a trans PTO as the 4wd model has a live PTO. I would also get the gear drive transmission over the hydro. Gear drive and a live PTO makes a nice roto-tilling setup.

Dan

/ What happened to Ford #6  
I assume that you are referring to JD as the only remaining American tractor company. I feel that AGCO would also be considered an American company. Unless something has changed recently their corporate headquarters is in the states. This company can boast of being the off spring of AC, Oliver, Cockshutt and MM. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ What happened to Ford
I thought it might make a good tilling machine when I noticed that it has 3 ranges on the gear drive. That impressed me. Most "dressed down" units only have a high and low. The 2wd version was an interesting find today. I have never seen one and was surprised that this particular dealer had two of them. He also had the 4wd, but seeing two 2wd made me wonder about their popularity.

/ What happened to Ford
Thanks for the link. I have read other pages about the history of the company. Around here I know of several NH dealers who keep quite a few tractors on their lots and they seem to be doing quite well. Maybe they, NH, are doing better as a company now that Ford is no longer involved. Such a shame, though. Henry Ford had a great passion for helping the farmer from what I understand. One would think that his discendants would carry on the dream. Isn't that company, Ford, still strongly infulenced by the family?

/ What happened to Ford #9  
Made in America......exactly what does this mean?

I have a Buick, a Chevrolet, and a Ford, and all three display decals saying they are made in Canada.

Well, Canada is in America, so I guess they are American made.

I believe it's called outsourcing.

The new Pontiac GTO is made in Australia and now, Levi's are made in Mexico.

What happened to Ford? My question is, what happened to Made in the USA?

/ What happened to Ford #10  
Prof,

Agco is an American company but not the way you may think. It is mainly a corporate figure head who has consumed some great companies and nearly ruined some others before they bought themselves back away from Agco. They build as in founding,milling,machining almost nothing???? Agco put its name on alot of other manufactures product and hold a hand out for profit first and foremost. You should check them out a little closer. Even though John Deere builds alot of tractors outside of the United States and uses parts from other countries they are still good old John Deere an American company.While Agco is still--- corporate board room, name plate maker. I think this is what wolc123 was referring to. I don't care for Agco the company but there is some good equipment under their name .........

J.M.H.