TC25 deal...or not?

/ TC25 deal...or not? #1  

shakman

Tractor
New Holland TC29
I have found what I think to be a fairly good deal on a NH TC25D. It includes the tractor, 7308 FEL, box blade, 5' shredder AND 16ft lowboy trailer for $15980+tax.

You can see the specifics at http://www.wctractor.com/tc-25_package.htm. I'm new to the whole tractor 'thing'. I just recently moved onto 10 acres and plan to do everything from grading my driveway to shredding to clearing cactus.

I guess my question is would this tractor do the job and is this a good deal for this tractor (for central Texas)?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanx to all who reply!

/ TC25 deal...or not? #2  
I would think based on the info and the photos that the tractor isn't a hydrostatic (could be wrong though). Are you comfortable with a stick? or were you leaning to a hydrostatic?

Kevin

/ TC25 deal...or not? #3  
Shakman, If the tractor is indeed a "D" model with hydrostatic tranny, I'd say it is a very good deal. On checking your link, I noted that the add didn't say "D" so I suspect it is a an 8 or 12 speed model. It still sounds like a good deal, but not quite as good as with the hydro tranny.

JimI

/ TC25 deal...or not?
It turns out that the tractor is GST, not HST. That makes quite a difference in price (about $2500 more). The salesman told me that with the HST, you go up to the 'deluxe' model (hence the D after the TC25) where you get all sorts of other bells and whistles including a mid-PTO, a deluxe 3pt hitch, and other stuff.

I agree with you that it's still a good deal, but I think that my wife will want/need an HST to make it useful to her.

/ TC25 deal...or not? #5  
Shakman, it sounds like you have been thinking through this pretty well. The Gear Shift Tranny (GST) is 9 fwd and 3 reverse instead of the 8/12 I mentioned earlier. When you consider that $2,500 is about an additional 20% on your tractor's price, it is significant enough to take you wife to the dealer and both of you "give it a go" on both types of tractors. That way you will always know you made the correct decision. I certainly favor the hydro tranny, but if you are not doing a lot of loader work, or if you plan to do a lot of plowing, the gear shift might be the best choice. The type of transmission is often the hardest decision to make because that extra $2,500 can buy a lot of nice attachments. Good luck in your decision./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimI

/ TC25 deal...or not? #6  
I just purchased a TC29 with gear shift. I took my wife to try it and she actually preferred it. For our main uses I believe it will be an excellent machine. The TC29 is the only one of the 25, 29, 33 size to have a live PTO.

Bill

/ TC25 deal...or not? #7  
<font color=blue>The TC29 is the only one of the 25, 29, 33 size to have a live PTO.</font color=blue>

Not according to my NH spec sheet: all of the "D" models in this series (TC25D / TC29D / TC33D) have a live PTO (I know my TC33D does). It also says all of the non-D models in the class II series have a transmission-driven PTO (I don't have easy access to one to verify this, however).

/ TC25 deal...or not? #8  
John

You are absolutely correct. I should have worded it " the TC29 (not D version) is the only gear driven of the 25, 29, 33 class that can be obtained with Live PTO. The shift is on the steering column and after a test yesterday very handy for forward and reverse. I have driven stick machinery forever and just feel more comfortable and this makes a good combo - handy shift that you can basically shuttle and also keep the PTO running.

BillH

/ TC25 deal...or not?
Thanx to all who responded to my initial message. With your help, I am now the proud owner of a brand new TC29! It's a great mule. I have already logged 2.5 hours on it doing some shredding at the house.

I ended up going with the GST instead of the HST. I found that the GST isn't nearly as complex to use at I initially thought it would be. My wife even finds it easy to use. I just couldn't justify the extra $2500 for the hydrostatic and the other features.

The package I got included the TC29, 5' shredder, 5' box blade, deluxe 3pt hitch, sealed tires, and a 16ft trailer. Out the door cost was $16500 with free delivery to my house (2 hours away from the dealership!) All in all, I think I got a pretty good deal.

Once I get my film developed, I'll make sure I post some pix of my new toy!