Rear snow blower or front mounted snow blower

/ Rear snow blower or front mounted snow blower #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Once again, I come to this forum to get answers to the questions I need to know before I buy my first compact tractor. Snow blowers. I see them mounted on the front and on the rear. The front seems to make more sense, only because I have always done it that way. But clearly, having on the rear makes sense. I have learned that folks use their FEL to remove most of the snow, then use the snow blower to blow what snow is left and to also back into tough areas that cannot be done with the FEL. What initially struck me as odd about the rear mounted snow blower is the thought of having to turn around and go backwards for 1,000 feet down a driveway. Is it hard to do?

Rear mounted snow blower looks like it may have more “power” coming off of the rear PTO. Rear mounted snow blowers look like the cost less money, do to their greater numbers. Rear mounted blower looks like they do not require front remotes or mid mount PTO to control and power a front mounted snow blower. Use of a rear mounts snow blower obviously allows a FEL or snow plow to be mounted at the same time. In cold weather, not having to unmount and mount a different implement (which you would have to do with a front mount snow blower if you wanted to mount a FEL or blade) would be a plus in the rear mounted snow blower column.

Your thoughts on this matter are requested.

Bob

/ Rear snow blower or front mounted snow blower #2  
How much $$$ do you want to spend? How comfortable to you want to be while clearing the drive? Is your wife willing to massage your sore neck after you clear the drive?

A front mount blower will cost almost twice as much as a rear mount. I have a short drive, I chose a rear mount, if my drive was 1000' long, I'd have a front mount. I choose the type, quality and configuration of all my implements based on my projected use. I mow a lot so I'm willing to buy an expensive high quality mower deck. I don't use a post hole digger all that often, so I went with an inexpensive PHD. If you have 1000' of drive but not much snow, then consider a blade. If you have a lot of snow, then I'd go with a front blower. Let your conditions and the size of your tasks determine the implement for you.

Typical prices for rear blowers are going to be $1400 to $2400 depending on size, quality, etc. Typically a front mount blower will start about $2500 and go up.

/ Rear snow blower or front mounted snow blower #3  
If your driveway is a 1000' long there is no way I would use a rear mount snow blower. As mentioned depending on amounts of snow I would either go with a front blade or front mount blower.

/ Rear snow blower or front mounted snow blower #4  
If you sit sorta sideways on the seat the rear blowers are no problem. Everybody here says they are but most of those people don't have rear blowers. Twice the price is a lot to pay for a front blower. I have 250' x 20' or so plus a 75' x 75' parking area to clear wth my rear blower. I have no neck problems. I think the whole neck issue is overblown so to speak. However, your own body will be the determining factor. Don't let the "sky is falling" people influence you or scare you away.

/ Rear snow blower or front mounted snow blower
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you sit sorta sideways on the seat the rear blowers are no problem. Everybody here says they are but most of those people don't have rear blowers. Twice the price is a lot to pay for a front blower. I have 250' x 20' or so plus a 75' x 75' parking area to clear wth my rear blower. I have no neck problems. I think the whole neck issue is overblown so to speak. However, your own body will be the determining factor. Don't let the "sky is falling" people influence you or scare you away.
)</font>

I listen to everyone and ponder all advice. I look at the NH with it's seat that turns 15 degrees to the side and hope that having to look backwards to run a rear mounted blower as sufficient to allow everything to be done without any discomfort.
Bob

/ Rear snow blower or front mounted snow blower #6  
I agree with mad, my drive is 600' and it's quickly done with my rear blower. another 400' would take only a few more minutes if its average width. Think, 1 pass down and 1 pass back, done before you know it. I also blow a path all around my field so I can walk the dogs easily. Way more than 1000', no problem. An added benefit of a rear blower is the front bucket stays on. In a light powdery snow, if it's only a couple inches or if it's windy, the bucket in float and as many passes as needed. No face full of snow if the wind's howling.

/ Rear snow blower or front mounted snow blower #7  
I have a nice Woods 3 point blower that we even added hydraulic chute rotation to. However since we got the FEL mounted plow the blower wasn't used at all. Blowers do take some getting used to on a gravel drive.

Anyone need a good Woods blower PM me!

/ Rear snow blower or front mounted snow blower #8  
Doc, 30 years ago I used to run an 8N with a rear blade up in Michigan near Muskegon. We got a lot of snow and I spent a lot of time turned around watching the blade and such.

A couple of herniated and compressed discs and 30 years later, the swivel seat on the DX-29 (TC29) looks real nice, but I would still go for the front mount blower or the front mount blade. You could hang a straight blade or box blade on the back for getting in close to the garage door. A rear grader blade should be less than $300 for a 6 footer if you look around a little.

/ Rear snow blower or front mounted snow blower #9  
Once again, I come to this forum to get answers to the questions I need to know before I buy my first compact tractor. Snow blowers. I see them mounted on the front and on the rear. The front seems to make more sense, only because I have always done it that way. But clearly, having on the rear makes sense. I have learned that folks use their FEL to remove most of the snow, then use the snow blower to blow what snow is left and to also back into tough areas that cannot be done with the FEL. What initially struck me as odd about the rear mounted snow blower is the thought of having to turn around and go backwards for 1,000 feet down a driveway. Is it hard to do?

Rear mounted snow blower looks like it may have more 菟ower coming off of the rear PTO. Rear mounted snow blowers look like the cost less money, do to their greater numbers. Rear mounted blower looks like they do not require front remotes or mid mount PTO to control and power a front mounted snow blower. Use of a rear mounts snow blower obviously allows a FEL or snow plow to be mounted at the same time. In cold weather, not having to unmount and mount a different implement (which you would have to do with a front mount snow blower if you wanted to mount a FEL or blade) would be a plus in the rear mounted snow blower column.

Your thoughts on this matter are requested.

Bob
You have to factor in several things such as cost, amount of snow you have, your age and health and direction of the driveway.
I got ahold of a 5' rear mount several years ago and it has done a fine job for me. I am getting to the age that it is getting harder to turn around and see where you are going. I have a soft full enclosure which helps when the wind is blowing. You do have to work with wind when blowing snow. Example: your drive is running north and south with a westerly wind; it works best to travel north blowing the snow east. Otherwise you will get it all over you and you cannot see where you are going or what you are doing. I once helped with the Church Parking lot. the wind was in the wrong direction. I finally gave up using the rear mount blower and used the Front End Loader.

/ Rear snow blower or front mounted snow blower #10  
I wanted a front blower so I would not have to drive backward when a Kubota dealer suggested a drag behind rear blower at $4000 dollars less I went with the drag behind. I will get the tractor and attachments this Wednesday big guy willing and what I have heard on different threads there are plus and minus to them all. I like the idea of also having use of the fel when moving snow which would be lost with a front blower.