buying a new tractor

/ buying a new tractor #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am considering buying a new tractor, maybe a NH. I have never bought a new one. Are retail prices usually negotiable with dealers? Any tips on negotiating, how much discount to expect? Thanks!

/ buying a new tractor #2  
I know exactly what you are feeling! I just recently purchased a brand new TC29 plus some other goodies myself. It can be a daunting task to say the least!

In my recent experience, I was finding the better deals going with some sort of package (i.e. tractor, FEL, shredder, etc. in one sale). This gives the dealer a little more leeway in their pricing since you are buying multiple big-ticket items. Your pricing will vary based on where you are geographically. As for myself, my deal consisted of the tractor, FEL, box blade, shredder, deluxe 3pt hitch, CaCl filled tires, and trailer for $16500 delivered. The list price for all this stuff was approx $20000. As far as negotiating goes, I didn't really have to do any, so I can't help much there. I would assume it would be similar to buying a car. See if you can get your dealer to show you the invoice price for the mule you're looking at. That'll give you the ammo you need to be able to bargain more. I know my dealer had no problem showing me invoice info, but I'm sure every dealer is different. Maybe someone else in the forum can help you more.

FYI...there's alot of great folks here carrying a wealth of information. USE IT!!! If you have questions about anything at all, post it and we'll respond to it.

Good luck in your search!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!

/ buying a new tractor #3  
I just purchased a TC29D and here is how I did it. First I did all the shopping and decided on the model and options. Then I contacted a couple of chosen Dealers. I gave them the Model and options, told them I was ready to purchase in the next 7 days and requested they fax me their best and final price. I did tell them that they were competing with other Dealers for my business. The difference in price was $900 - $400 on the TC29D and $500 for a G&B loader versus NH. Also, I got the winning Dealer to include (in writing) that they would provide 2 pickup and delivery trips for any warranty service in the first 2 years. Based on the mileage I figure this is worth about another $550 in savings.

I hope this helps.

Jack in Colorado

/ buying a new tractor #4  
Good luck with your search,remember the service after you buy is important! Check out their service dept...ask around ! A good deal ain't so good without it !!! dass

/ buying a new tractor #5  
When I bought my tractor, I went to several dealers and got them to quote "ballpark" prices on several models of tractors. They weren't sure what I wanted and neither was I. A couple of dealers were really pushy and only wanted to give me figures on one tractor. I didn't go back to them. After I had several prices, I scoured the internet and walked into the dealer I really wanted to buy the tractor from and told him what I wanted and what I thought was a good price. We sat down and he "punched-in" the numbers and beat my price by $100. I bought the tractor and everything else at this dealer. I don't know it that will work for you, but it did for me. The best advice is to be armed with info so if someone quotes you an outrageous price you can head for the door. If they are close, tell them what you were considering in price and see what they do. You might be surprised. Good luck.

35-83637-JimIBoomer.jpg

JimI

/ buying a new tractor #6  
SHAKMAN:

Your post indicates you bought a TC29. I just wanted to confirm that your price was for a tractor without hydro transmission.

/ buying a new tractor #7  
That's correct...I have the non-D version WITHOUT the hydrostatic tranny. I couldn't justify the extra $$$. Why do you ask?

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!

/ buying a new tractor #8  
I'm looking at the TC29D. I wanted to confirm whether you had hydrostatic transmission so that I can compare your quote to what I've been getting.

Kip