ford 1700

/ ford 1700 #21  
Thanks for answering back. Yeah I cleaned the metal screen and drained the differential. It was the lowest point to drain from. I wasn't sure if I should change the oil back to back to get as much of the contaminated oil out? I'll have to check on the breather and the clutch hole. I didn't know about those. The only breather I knew about was the one on top of the transmission housing by the gear shifts. The engine oil is not contaminated. Any other things to check while I am at it?

/ ford 1700 #22  
Just to make sure the screen filter is the one that the main hydraulic oil comes into and the screen filter is held in by 4 bolts. The filter is about the size as a water filter from a well correct?

/ ford 1700 #23  
Just to make sure the screen filter is the one that the main hydraulic oil comes into and the screen filter is held in by 4 bolts. The filter is about the size as a water filter from a well correct?

Dirty inlet screen:
dsc04170g.jpg

Breather cap:

dsc03638.jpg

Hand hole with rubber cover to adjust double clutch (live pto) system. There is a drain plug for the clutch housing. Normally should be dry, oil in there and it can be engine or transmission.

dsc04690a.jpg

Hand hole with the rubber cover removed.

dsc04695.jpg

JC,

/ ford 1700 #24  
Hey guys, I just bought a 1700, can anyone recommend a place to buy a manual?, I don't know what would be the best for maintainence and general repairs. also, I bought it with a 5 foot tiller, 5 foot brush cutter and 5 foot box blade. I'm going to sell the tiller and brush cutter, is the box blade the right size or should I trade down to a 4 footer? and is a 6 foot finishing mower too big?

I'd appreciate any help...

Ray

/ ford 1700 #25  
I have a manual I bought from farm store a few years back. It's out in the shop. I believe it is the blue and grey one. Got it at central tractor.PM me if interested.

/ ford 1700 #26  
Hey guys, I just bought a 1700, can anyone recommend a place to buy a manual?, I don't know what would be the best for maintainence and general repairs. also, I bought it with a 5 foot tiller, 5 foot brush cutter and 5 foot box blade. I'm going to sell the tiller and brush cutter, is the box blade the right size or should I trade down to a 4 footer? and is a 6 foot finishing mower too big?

Ray

Ray,

IT FO-44 is the manual that you want. it is not the factory manual but it's good enough for many normal everyday repair and maintenance. Google it on line to find the best price. Your local TSC might have it although it is not their most popular manual. If you call your local TSC they'll order for you (no shipping) if you are close by to pick up. I bought mine from TSC at around $20 +. There is a ton of stuff on 1700 on the Blue Owning and Operating so most of your potential questions might have already been answered. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to TBN Blue.

JC,

/ ford 1700 #27  
Thanks for the welcome, this site has been very helpful, I look forward to learning more from everyone.

Ray

/ ford 1700 #28  
I had no idea there were so many of these tractors still around. I have an '82 model that in 4 years, has never given me a bit of trouble. Most of it's use is with a 5' shredder (Bush Hog) and 6' back blade for maintaining my long driveway. Bought it used from a guy in Texas so it was fairly rust free. Its all there except for the grille and I do have one headlight for it.

My question to all you 1700 folks: Am I wasting my time searching websites for a grille? Dealer was no help.

It's a sweet tractor except for that. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thx

/ ford 1700 #29  
I had no idea there were so many of these tractors still around. I have an '82 model that in 4 years, has never given me a bit of trouble. Most of it's use is with a 5' shredder (Bush Hog) and 6' back blade for maintaining my long driveway. Bought it used from a guy in Texas so it was fairly rust free. Its all there except for the grille and I do have one headlight for it.

My question to all you 1700 folks: Am I wasting my time searching websites for a grille? Dealer was no help.

There is nothing special about the design of the grill. If I were you , I'd be looking for a piece of expanding metal , aluminum or steel and a pair of snips I'd make myself a grille. I'd probably not do the decorative bend and bump in front although not very difficult to do but it's not worth the effort. In the back it is only screwed to the front trim. The original grille is stamped at the factory. cutting two opening for the light should be pretty simple. around $20 and you should be able to get it done.

It's a sweet tractor except for that. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thx

There is nothing special about the design of the grill. If I were you , I'd be looking for a piece of expanding metal , aluminum or steel and a pair of snips I'd make myself a grille. I'd probably not do the decorative bend and bumps in front although not very difficult to do but it's not worth the effort. In the back it is only screwed to the front trim. The original grille is stamped at the factory. cutting two opening for the lights should be pretty simple. Around $20 and you should be able to get it done.

JC,

dsc06987u.jpg

dsc08661xr.jpg

/ ford 1700 #30  

Ray

These guys are a great source for hard to find manuals.

Ford 8N, Farmall Cub, Original Operators, Technical, and Service Manuals, and Parts Catalogs for dozers, tractors, combines, implements, road graders.