ford 1700

/ ford 1700 #61  
I may have posted in the wrong location. My battery won't charge even thought the idiot light goes out and if I attach a battery booster the amps steadily decline even with the booster and won't kick in the least. I've recharged the booster and when I attach it it still shows less then ten amps and steadily declines from there. Do I possibly have a short. If I jump it with my truck I have to let it charge for a while and it will usually give a slow kick and starts. After I park it and turn the back key on the alt and oil light are on bright but when I went out this morning they were barely lit and the starter wouldn't click at all. I'll charge the battery this morning but is there anything else I might be missing?

Why don't ya take your battery to an automotive part store and have them load test it. You just might have a bad cell or battery.

JC,

/ ford 1700 #62  
My battery won't charge, even thought the idiot light goes out and I attach a battery booster, the amps steadily decline and the stater won't kick in the least. I've recharged the booster and when I attach it it still shows less then ten amps and steadily declines from there. Do I possibly have a short. If I jump it with my truck I have to let it charge for a while, it will give a slow turn usually start. Last night I parked it and turned the key back on, not attempting to start it, and the alt and oil light were bright and shiny. When I went out this morning they were barely lit and the starter wouldn't click at all. I'll charge the battery this morning but is there anything else I might be missing?

/ ford 1700 #63  
whoops! I didn't think my post went through. I've been that route. I've changed voltage regulators and alternators. I've rewired it and removed any extemporaneous wiring (lights). I've replaced battery cables and think I've gone the route. Maybe I'll just have to break done and buy and independent alternator.

/ ford 1700 #64  
My last battery we discovered had a dead cell but was under warrantee so I've just recently replaced that.

/ ford 1700 #65  
My last battery we discovered had a dead cell but was under warrantee so I've just recently replaced that.

Why don't you charge the battery fully off some charger, disconnect the ground cable and come back next day, reconnect the ground and try to start. See if the battery holds and you can get her to start. If it charges while running, then anytime you turn off the tractor overnight then take the ground cable off as well. See if you can get this game* going for a while. You might have some short or partial short( resistance) that draws the battery down. Where it is, only god almighty knows :)

JC,

* you either have to find what draws the battery down or just put an in line disconnect to avoid taking the wire off the battery

/ ford 1700 #66  
jensales.com has any manual u can think of for so many things its fun to explore what they do carry...u can get the owners, service and parts manual

/ ford 1700 #68  
for my draw bar I just added the 2 point bar on mine with a added strap to keep it level and have 17/8 and 2'' balls on it and a bolted on rod that I can lower the 3 point and come up from under niegth and never get off tractor works great to move things around

/ ford 1700 #69  
Dont know if you ever made the purchase but I have a Ford 1700. It was my grandfather's handed down to me. The tractor is a work horse. Never had any major issues except for the radiator and water pump. The local newholland dealer found an aftermarket radiator and also had the water pump in stock. Oh and the steering wheel broke from everyone hanging on it. That was the hardest part to find. The tractor will start on the coldest days and the fuel economy is unbelievable. If you have purchased the 1700 you made a great choice. This little tractor will give you years of dependable service.

/ ford 1700 #70  
Thanks eddie for sharing your experience. This thread has gone cold for a while now. I had the same experience with my little ole 1700 and have no intention to getting rid of it ... like never.

JC,