MMM's

/ MMM's #1  

webbmeister

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC25D
MMM\'s

My local dealer seems to be doing his best to steer me away from a MMM. he says that it is pretty much a 4-hour process to mount or unmount it, and when mounted, it "gets in the way of the FEL." Anybody have experience with this? Shed a little light? This is for a TC25D.

Thanks,

Jim

/ MMM's #2  
Re: MMM\'s

I have a NH TC25D with an FEL and a 60" MMM and the MMM does not get in the way of the FEL. I have never taken the mower off so I can not attest to how long it takes to install/remove but 4 hours seems extremely long.

tractor.gif

/ MMM's #3  

I was preparing to make a similar post on the forum. I stopped at a tractor dealer yesterday, told him what I wanted (compact 25-30 hp, MMM & FEL) and what I wanted to do with the tractor.

He then did his best sales job to steer me away from the MMM toward the purchase of a rear finish mower. He said I would regret the purchase of the MMM every time I wanted to use the FEL and hung it up on something underneath the tractor. His estimate for removal was a more realistic 20 minutes but he added do you really want to be removing/installing the MMM every week? I'm building my house in between the trees and thought that having a finish mower hanging out the back would make mowing around the trees extremely difficult, hence the desire for the MMM.

So I ask the same question, "Is the MMM going to interfere with most FEL work?"

Thanks for the input.

Kip

/ MMM's #4  

Which dealer gave you this 'advice'?

Perhaps others wth more experience using the FEL will have a different opinion, but not only have I never had the MMM interfere with the operation of the FEL, I can't see how it would.

It's a stretch, but someone could say the MMM 'interferes' with the operation of the 3ph, but you solve that by raising the MMM and then use pins to keep it there while you use the 3ph. But that's a big stretch to call that 'interference'.

As you've probably read, lots of trees to mow around usually steers the decision to a MMM. Since a rear finish mower is usually less expensive than a MMM, the only reason I can imagine the dealer recommending it is his profit margin on the rear mount is higher. Dealer advice like this would steer me away from this dealer.

tractor.gif

/ MMM's #5  

Jim,
I agree with all of the others general comments. New MMM decks are very easy to remove and install requiring no more than 5 minutes either way so long as you do it on a paved surface. I normally leave the deck on and remove it only when doing serious excavation work with the loader. Your observation is correct about the advantage a MMM deck has for mowing around trees and close to buildings. In addition you don't have to look back. Maybe your dealer is thinking back to the "bad old days" when the designs of both loaders and MMMs made them relatively difficult to remove and attach and in most cases you couldn't have both mounted simultaneously. Today NH, Kubota, and JD all have overcome these limitations. I would go with the MMM without a second thought. You won't regret it!

/ MMM's #7  

Don't have an MMM but understand why the dealer might have said that it would interfere with FEL operation. When I purchased my TC40D I looked at the MMM (and plan to purchase one in the future -after finishing the "landscaping"). My recollection is that the NH MMM has a ground clearance of roughly 7" when in the raised position. For the work that I am doing right now (or should be doing) that small ground clearance is too little. Worked in situations with very heavy brush/saplings and on very rough surfaces (making me appreciate the seat belt and ROPS). Once this work is past I would agree that the MMM should not "interfere" but I sure would not want one mounted at this time.

Looking forward to getting the MMM, in a year or so, as the rear mower is a pain around the trees and other obstacles (besides, my wife will probably help out with the mowing then /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif).

DaveV

/ MMM's #8  

I have the MMM. It takes less than 10 minutes to put on and take off. Its gravey. I take my loader off after the mmm is on so it dont get in the way is all. My mmm works wonderful. it gets around trees great. I went with it also so i knew my kids whouldnt get near the rear mower. I have a rear brush cutter for the bull work.

/ MMM's #9  

The dealer that gave me the advice to avoid MMM was a Case/Cub Cadet Dealer. I went to see the <font color=red>red</font color=red> versions of the NH. They did not sell the new Case-IH line, only the Cub's. I picked up a brochure on the Cub Cadet line but it did not list ground clearance for any of their tractors. May be that the Cubs have a lower than "normal" ground clearance and that was his reason for the recommendation to go with the rear finish mower. The salesman owned a Cub and complained of regularly having to remove the MMM.

/ MMM's

Now *that's* interesting. In fact, the dealer in question here is a NH/Cub dealer. Hmmm ...

I won't be buying from him if I go NH anyway. A weekend trip to VA and a trailer rental gets me a Super Steer 25D w/ 60" MMM and 7308 FEL for $18,050. If I buy from this dealer, though, the price jumps to $20,600 plus 8.5% tax. That's $2550 plus tax for the privilege of buying local. Whew! The experience at this dealer has entirely turned me off to him. Oh how I wish the local Kubota dealer, who treated us so well and gave us prices better than Internet prices sold NH. I am in love with the seating system on the NH.