Super Steer

/ Super Steer #1  

raptor

Bronze Member
I know absolutely ZERO about New Holland's super steer. How does it work, by that I mean the mechanism? Is there a substantial pivot pin? Does the tractor become 'tippy' when the front axle geometry changes? I remember having a wagon as a kid, where the front axle pivoted, not a steering axle, and it would fall over all the time. Just wandered?

Thanks

Raptor

/ Super Steer #2  
Raptor,

Regarding your question about Supersteer there are others here who have pics they can easily (or they make it seem easy) add which can explain much. My attempt to answer your question may bring them forward.

Supersteer works by pivoting the axle on a substantial point in addition to the usual turning of the wheels on the ends of the axle. Your thought about becoming "tippy" makes sense in theory, but I have never experienced that phenomena with my TC40D w/SS. I have spent dozens of hours with the FEL loaded to the maximum capacity and turning to the side while driving at speeds up to 8 mph.

Since I don't have much experience with working on slopes/hills I won't try to speak to that possible scenario. The grade around here is probably less then 5% with the exception of mowing drainage ditches and I have not experienced any problem here, but then I haven't tried turning sharply to get out of a drainage ditch.

Tried a couple times on flat ground to turn all the way to one side while going full-bore forward, besides sliding across the ground there was no feeling of "tippiness". If you've never experienced supersteer you owe it to yourself to try it. You'll probably hate it and think it feels weird or become fascinated with the physics of it and how sharp you can turn without scuffing the ground.

Hope this two cents helps...

DaveV

/ Super Steer #3  
<font color=blue>...I remember having a wagon as a kid, where the front axle pivoted, not a steering axle, and it would fall over all the time...</font color=blue>

It's the same thing... they found your wagon and painted it blue.../w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

I don't know exactly how they work... but the wheelbase is loooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Super Steer #4  
The wheel base is longer on the supersteer models then the non-supersteer (another 4.5" longer). Due to the longer wheelbase, which sticks out front, there is a different FEL for supersteer then non-supersteer. This provides a longer fulcrum which makes the need for rear ballast even greater (also gives a better reach for FEL work).

DaveV

/ Super Steer #5  
David,

Are you sure it's only about 4 1/2" more?... I was looking at the TN75S and thought it was over a foot more... something like 9x inches, because my JD is about 78 inches..

I thought it was a slick idea.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Super Steer #6  
John,

Oops, that 4.5" was for the TC40D (the model I happen to know). The larger the tractor the further it tends to stick out front. Do NH units (non-supersteer) have longer wheelbases then the JD counterparts? That was my impression when originally shopping and the supersteer just exagerates the difference more.

DaveV

/ Super Steer
DaveV

Thanks for a straight forward answer. There's a New Holland dealer about 30 miles from my house, I may have to get over there and take a demo ride on one of the super steer models.
Take care, and happy and safe tractoring.

Raptor

/ Super Steer #8  
/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Same thing... only different.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

JD and NH are pretty neck to neck on wheelbase... I was talking "utility" size and you were talking "compact" size...

To tell you the truth, I've seen the SS on the NH compacts (TC) and never paid any mine... but the SS on the utility(TN series) is very noticeable!!! /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Super Steer #9  
Raptor,

I don't think supersteer should be any more tippy as both tractors have the front axle on a pivot that runs longitudinally (front to back).

Peter

/ Super Steer #10  
John,

Too true, <font color=blue>I was talking "utility" size and you were talking "compact" </font color=blue>...

A utility tractor would have been great but it would have ended up being used only by me. By going down in size and getting HST the tractor is now being used not only by me but also my wife (and a little bit cheaper-but not much). Would have loved to have something in the size of the JD 5410 or NH TN70 but am happy and able to work with the TC40D (and occasionally borrow my parents MF 275) ...

DaveV