Ford 1710 4WD

/ Ford 1710 4WD #1  

Anonymous Poster

Looking at buying a Ford 1710 4WD with FEL all 4 new ag tires
and 1500 engine hours,the price is $8500

My concerns on this model are as follows:
1. hydralic speed in cold weather (for FEL)
2. Was told to watch for transmission/4WD problems in this model. Any truth to that?
3. Reasonable price?

/ Ford 1710 4WD
I think $8500. is on the high side for this 1983-86 unit... even with the loader. This unit sold new for a hair over $10k back then...

I would shoot for around $7k max with loader. I'm unaware of any serious problems with this model...

Good luck.

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Ford 1710 4WD #3  
Machinery Link is a good pricing source. You can look up 3 prices per day (I think) without joining or you can join for free and use it as much as you like.

8-72214-signature.jpg

/ Ford 1710 4WD #4  
No problems I've ever heard of but agree $7,000 about the max with 1500 hours. Is this with a 12x12 shuttle or 12 x 4 non-syncro? Can't recall if the 1710 had this option. On the hydro speed, I've heard the Ford/NH fluid upgrade, think it's either multi-viscosity or synthetic, spec # MC200 vs the standard MC134 has provided improved cold weather hydraulic performance. In addition, keep the engine RPM's high when using he FEL and you should have no problems. The 1710's a nice, very solidly build jewel of a compact. I think the 1710 and the 1720 following it were the most successful tractors Ford build since the 8-2-9N's of over 50 years ago.

/ Ford 1710 4WD
Thanks for the responce..............Re: Shuttle shift
Saw that option in the owners manual and when I asked about it I got a puzzled look from the individual showing me the tractor.. Leading me to believe he did not know the answer either.
But the transmission had 4 speeds and the range selector was located on the left side of the steering column .It had 3 ranges and a reverse.First and third were on the bottom and reverse and second were on top...... Not sure if this qualifies as "shuttle shift"

Thanks for your time
Bartman

/ Ford 1710 4WD #6  
No, not shuttle-shift. The shuttle-shift allows quick change from forward to reverse and also shifting to any gear while moving. Othewise, like most non-syncronized shift models, the tractor must come to nearly a complete stop before shifting. I say nearly, because with experience you'll find you can shift quite well with some very minimal motion. Change of the range selector/shift on even a syncronized transmission, like the 12x12 shuttle, still requires the tractor to come to a stop, or again, close to it. The shuttle shift is extremely useful when using a FEL or rear work when your constantly changing from forward to reverse. The Ford/NH shuttle shift lever is mounted on the left side of the steering column and has a F - N - R label. This mechanism results in 12 forward and 12 reverse gears.

/ Ford 1710 4WD
I don't believe this vintage {early 80's} unit had 12/12 available nor even syncro ... {this was a big bucks options on larger utility units at that time}

I haven't seen any compact/utility tractor with a mechanical "syncro range shift"... In this class of tractor, you change "ranges-low-med-high" from a sitting/non-moving condition...

/ Ford 1710 4WD #8  
Only found this one at Machinefinder.com listed by a dealer in Nebraska. Asking $9500, no loader but only has 355hrs on it.

Steve
Champagne Taste, Beer Budget

Attachments

• 12-91533-2112-22365.jpg
    12-91533-2112-22365.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4,249
   / Ford 1710 4WD #9  
Sounds about right, but Ford's 12 x 12 shuttle transmission was syncronized. The 1988 model 1720 I had had the 12 x 12 shuttle (syncro). Probably I assumed wrong that is was available since Bartman said the manual discusses it for the 1710. On my 1720 it was essentially part of what the dealer called the "deluxe" option and added something like $1000 to the base tractor cost. This $1,000 also included some other things too, but I can't remember what they were - probably 2-stage clutch, deluxe rubber deck mats, lighting, or something like that.

The NH 35D, 40D and 45D do have what approximates a "syncro range shift", except I think it probably just makes a jump in the position of the hydro plate. It's an extremely useful feature that essentially changes the range with the flip of a switch. Pretty ingenious feature if you ask me.

/ Ford 1710 4WD
<font color=blue>...NH 35D, 40D and 45D do have what approximates a "syncro range shift...</font color=blue>

I believe that's considered "electro-hydraulic", unlike a mechanical range shift... and yes that's a great feature for charging into a pile of dirt with the bucket, going into low range for max torque... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif