TC55 Steering Problems Fixed?

/ TC55 Steering Problems Fixed? #1  

mundamanu

Silver Member
Tractor
TC40A, Ford 8600, MF65
A few weeks ago, I was thinking about a TC40A, and then you all got me thinking about a TC48DA or a TC55DA. I am still thinking about a TC48DA, and if we can afford it, a TC55DA.

I have one question, however. I was reading all of the past posts that mention either the 48 or the 55, and I came across the discussions about the steering problems with the 55. It seems like the last comments on the board about the steering problems date from last summer (2005).

Does anybody know if New Holland has addressed the steering problem? Should I avoid the 55? Does the 48 suffer the same problems?

Bob

/ TC55 Steering Problems Fixed? #2  
I have had a 2120 since 1987. The 2120 is basically the same frame as the TC48/55. It has never had a steering problem. I asked my dealer whom I know very well if the TC48/55 had steerign problems. He has sold many TC55's. He said he has never had a complaint. I'm not so sure that there ever was a real problem. They may just steer a little different than the smaller tractors.

Andy

/ TC55 Steering Problems Fixed? #3  
BTW, my dealer does not even stock TC48's. He doesn't feel they are worth the small price savings over the TC55. Other than engine, the two tractors are the same.

Andy

/ TC55 Steering Problems Fixed? #4  
Try before you buy. Get the dealer to drop one off for a demo.

I will say that if I overload my front axle, my TC18 won't turn. When I say overload, I mean fill the front bucket w/o the REQUIRED counterweight on the three point hitch. If I have a medium implement or my weight box back there, no problem. I suspect that the reports of poor steering are similar cases of overloading the front axle.

/ TC55 Steering Problems Fixed? #5  
I have not heard that the problem was corrected. I believe NH doesn't see it as a problem, but that doesn't mean it isn't. I did not have a reference to consider before I started using my tractor so with a heavy load I was surprised to see the steering not turn at times. I have loaded tires and a 700lb. box blade. I can tell by the way it feels when working with a full bucket of rock that I need more counter weight. Haven't done anything about adding more counter-weight cause the issue is more of a nuisance than a problem. Just one of those things you do when you get around to it.

When working with a full bucket, trying to move back and forth to get in a tight spot to dump the load, I have to actually start rolling to be able to turn. I'm not talking about a bucket full of bark mulch either.

If I had to do it all over again, I would. I really enjoy my 55DA.

The TC48DA has the same problem. I believe if NH would use a larger hydr. cylinder to turn the wheels, it would solve the problem/issue/nuisance. I suppose other components would have to be beefed up also.

There are some differences to note between the 48 & 55:
Same engine; TC48 is non-turbo, 55 has turbo.
EHSS: not available on TC48
Engine does not affect lift capacities.

Although it's bigger you could look at a TN60 to give you some idea if an Ag tractor is too big. Depending on options the TN60 might be in the price range of a TC55DA. Somebody might kill me for this but; Kubota has out a new M5040. Probably about the same size as the 55DA. Checkout their website for more info and pics. Their are a lot of options out there. Find out "what you want" and if that also meets "what you need" then you've made your decision, if your pocketbook (aka wife) agrees.

Good luck shopping.

/ TC55 Steering Problems Fixed? #6  
I have loaded tires and a 700lb. box blade. I can tell by the way it feels when working with a full bucket of rock that I need more counter weight.

Loaded tires help keep the backend on the ground, they don't reduce the load on the front end (the weight needs to be aft of the rear axle so that the rear axle is the pivot - weight on three point pushes down, front axle goes up).

My weight box is >700# for my itsy bitsy TC18.

/ TC55 Steering Problems Fixed? #7  
[/QUOTE]
Loaded tires help keep the backend on the ground, they don't reduce the load on the front end (the weight needs to be aft of the rear axle so that the rear axle is the pivot - weight on three point pushes down, front axle goes up).
[/QUOTE]

Think about this...If you put a #1000 weight in the front bucket and left the bucket in the air and put the front tires on a scale, you would have X amount of weight on the front tires. If you then added rear wheel weights or fluid in the rear tires, the bucket would rise X amount of inches. This means that weight was taken of the front tires. It's called weight distribution.

/ TC55 Steering Problems Fixed? #8  
Think about this...If you put a #1000 weight in the front bucket and left the bucket in the air and put the front tires on a scale, you would have X amount of weight on the front tires. If you then added rear wheel weights or fluid in the rear tires, the bucket would rise X amount of inches. This means that weight was taken of the front tires. It's called weight distribution.

Nope doesn't work that way. The rear end my drop due to weight, but it doesn't take any weight off of front axle. Yes the weight distribution will be different, but again it doesn't take weight off of front axle. Simple statics.

Andy

/ TC55 Steering Problems Fixed? #9  
Boomerang, the weight in or on the rear tires only helps lower the center of gravity and help when you are hurting for traction. But it does nothing for the front axle as all that weight on the rear wheels is transferred straight down. As the others have mentioned, you need weight behind the rear axle to act as a lever and reduce the weight on the front axle. Just like a teeter totter on a playground. One heavy kid will raise one light kid but the more kids you put on will eventually lift the heavy kid.

As for the steering problem, if you are overloading the front axle from time to time you do want to be careful while steering. That is a lot of weight on the front axle/tires and if your tires are on dirt and start to sink even a little bit you risk damaging something. A bigger cylinder will only make matters worse as you are not addressing the problem, only the symptom and that will create a bigger problem. Either add more counterweight or take smaller bites of heavy material.

/ TC55 Steering Problems Fixed? #10  
None of the 3 local NH dealers have had a hard steering problem / complaint with the 48/55 series. It is true the 48s do not sell well due to the marginal price difference.