Used Kubota L4200 vs. New NH TC35D

/ Used Kubota L4200 vs. New NH TC35D #1  

tzimme

Hello! I need some help from the experts on this forum. I am a new tractor buyer and am looking at all my alternatives. I am not wanting to spend over $20K for a tractor with a FEL, 4wd, and R4s.

I have a land development business and I am looking for a tractor for bush hogging, land clearing, & road maintenance. I normally have about 50 acres in inventory that I need to keep mowed at any one time.

A friend of mine has a Kubota L4200, 4wd, GST, Great Bend FEL, R4s, 10K lb trailer, 6' bush hog, and box blade that he would sell for $19K. It is an 1997 with only 180 hours.

I am also looking at a new TC35D, with FEL, R4s, HST, Trailer, & 6' ft. bush hog for $22,600.

The L4200 has about 7 more HP at the PTO than the TC35. Will this make a big difference in the overall work I am able to get out of the tractor? I don't want to be stuck with a $20K tractor which is not going to be large enough for me.

If I decide to buy the new tractor when is the best time of the year to get the best deal from the dealer? Right now they have special interest rates and some discounts. Is the spring normally better for the deals?

Thanks!

Tim

/ Used Kubota L4200 vs. New NH TC35D #2  
If you have comparable dealer support for the two brands, and the Kubota has been maintained well and not abused, The 'Bota would be my choice. Less investment, more HP. 180hrs is insignificant, if serviced and run reasonably.

/ Used Kubota L4200 vs. New NH TC35D #3  
Tim, both tractors are well qualified to handle a 6' cutter and boxblade. The main difference is the two transmissions and the horsepower. The hydro on the New Holland will be a big advantage for loader work and for mowing/cutting where you have to reverse directions a lot (like around trees). The Kubota has an obvious advantage for horsepower and the GST tranny is good for getting that power to the ground. The much lower price is tempting. However, with the new New Holland, you get a two year warranty and full control of how the tractor will be maintained. It's seems the decision is power-price vs. hydro tranny and new warranty. You have to make the decision, but I suspect either way you go you will have a solid deal. Good luck.

35-83637-JimIBoomer.jpg

JimI

/ Used Kubota L4200 vs. New NH TC35D #4  
You can buy a TC40D, 16LA loader, R4s, grill guard, and two remotes for $20,000 to $20,500. That would pretty much cancel out the HP difference. I also agree with Jinman's comments. For loader work, don't buy anything but a hydro. When I bought my TC29D, the salesman told me that unless I'm going to plow row crops all day, get a hydro. After only about 10 minutes of use, I was so glad I took his advice.