Buying Advice Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #11  
Soundguy said:
My wife used to be skeptical about having that large of a tractor on that small of a piece of dirt. however.. I demonstrated mowing one day to her.. and showed her how it takes me 1hr45m to mow the 10 ac pasture using a 15' flexwing mower.. and then reminded her that that task used to take me 5.5-6.5 hr with my old 33hp tractor and 5' mower.

Soundguy

So you can spend more time with her :D ?
Bob

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #12  
Something like that (grin). Actually.. I work 6 days a week.. so.. when mowing season is here.. it was taking the bulk of my only day off, once a month, to mow. That left me 3 days off a month... The big mower and big tractor make that just a early morning deal.. and i have the rest of that 4th day off.. to go play cards with the guys.. er.. or.. spend with the wife!

Soundguy

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres
Thanks again for the advice! Don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but should i look for the new series loader or just get a 17la? i don't seem much difference in the performance (unless i missed somethin'). But i'm aware of the QA skid steer attach on the 17la will fit a lot of aftermarket products already (nice used prices for implements :) ). Also please, any thoughts on the supersuite? (i'm not trying to burn money here, i just don't want to regret not getting something right the first time and want to leverage off your guy's experience) again, many thanks... :)

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #14  
Skerby said:
...should i look for the new series loader or just get a 17la?
But i'm aware of the QA skid steer attach on the 17la will fit a lot of aftermarket products already (nice used prices for implements :) ). Also please, any thoughts on the supersuite?

I don't think there are enough new loaders out there to give you any real-world data. You would be one of the first to get one delivered. Can you still get the 17LA? I sure don't see anything wrong with the 16LA/17LA loaders. I like mine with the QA plate. I think you can get the skidsteer QA plate on the new loaders, but it will be an option. I agree with you. The skidsteer setup is preferred.

When you said "supersuite" did you mean supersteer? I think those who have it will say you need it. Those who don't have it will say it's not needed. I don't have it and don't want it. Try a tractor with it and one without it and buy the one you need and prefer. That's the best advice I can offer.

Hi Jinman, I was asking about the SuperSuite "cab". its new and not available till 1st quarter 07 i hear. dealer said it's about $5k. is on the newholland.com/na site. has heat and air, factory installed. looks like a great way to pamper yourself, but i don't know how those with or without a cab feel about it for how much it costs.. thanks.

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #17  
I'm presuming you're in the hillier part of Jersey if you have wooded land. My sister lives in Long Valley in the woods. Most of it is quite steep -- enough that you'd feel pretty shaky on a tractor on a sidehill.

Depending on your terrain, consider wheel weights or weighted tires. If you plan to take the tractor into your woods, the cab might be a serious inconvenience around trees unless you trim out everything so you can get around. If you have lots of mosquitoes or lots of sun to hide from, or plan to operate it in very hot or very cold weather for prolonged periods, I'd consider it. Otherwise, it's a big expense without a lot of payback.

I think a TC34 would easily be enough tractor for your place. It would be more maneuverable, easier to park and store, easier on the ground, etc. Mostly, the size decision is dependent on what chores you plan to do. Talk it over with the dealer, make an informed decision based on what you plan to do, then get the next size bigger or stronger.

The loaders on the CNH line tend to stick out in front of the tractor farther than most others. This gives you a longer reach with the loader, but also makes the whole package a little more cumbersome, a little more tippy. Compare the front axle to front edge of bucket measurement for two loaders and you'll see what I mean. The loader on my DX29 is as far in front of the front wheels as the rear wheels are behind them. You can get a different brand loader to fit the tractor and even match the color if you wish.

On tires, I'd go with R4s if you were planning to run it on the lawn area much at all, otherwise get R1s for the traction. I've got R1s and just stay off the lawn unless it's dry and hard.

Think about getting an Add-a-Grapple for the bucket along with the QA bucket. The plumbing for the grapple can be easily piggy-backed on the lines for a set of rear remotes when they install the latter, which you will find handy to have sooner or later. Mine is a simple T in each line and I run the grapple with the same valve that runs the rear remotes. I consider the grapple and plumbing the best $500 I've spent on tools.

Thanks daTeacha! Actually I only have 3/4 acre in NJ (moving to IN) ;)
I see what you mean about the cab and trees may not go together so well, good point. The countdown for a NH @ 0% is winding down, so I have a lot to think about over the weekend. Keep the advice coming plz it's all good guys !

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #19  
Skerby:

Welcome to TBN :D! There are a lot of HP tractor junkies :eek: out in TBN land. You may not need what you think you need, but it is your money. I have a couple of questions for you. I know that you have 12 A's non-wooded; do you intend to log some of your trees on the other 8 A's? How is your terrain- is it level or sloped/hilly (A class 3 CUT feels a lot "tippier" than a Class 2 > Class 1 > SCUT.)? What are your intended primary uses- I do not think a Class 3 CUT is the best way to mow a lawn. It is too heavy and cumbersome to do "fine" mowing on a manicured lawn. The 7 A's of "field" what kind and size of rotary cutter do you think you need (I do not think a midmount mower has the ground clearance or "robustness" to handle both a lawn and a field. A rear mount finish mower as well as a rotary cutter give you a greater range of cutting heights as well as the ability to change attachments easily). As to the 400 feet of gravel driveway- I believe my NH TC29DA with a 8' landscape rake and a 7' back blade could more than handle the conditions in NJ. You will probably need weighted tires, but without knowledge of your primary tasks I will not provide any of my opinions :confused: as to tire type. The big question exists what do you want to do with this tractor/ If you are going to do serious wooding and landscape work go big; if you are just going to maintain a driveway, lawn, and field look at cheaper and more manuverable alternatives. Just my thoughts. By the way the membership of TBN is more than willing to help you spend your money :cool:. Jay

jbrumberg: Thanks for the insight.. Yea, the land is flat. I'm moving to Indiana. i know i'll have to cut the lawn and weedy remainder. I don't plan to log anything, but get in there and clear out underbrush to make some bike/atv trails. i am pondering groing Christmas trees or farm bamboo or something.. I know what you mean about HP junkie but i'm the kind of person that wants to get it right the first time.. that's why i want to look at a 'new' something.. w/ no experience, buying used must be extremely difficult to assess. and i don't want to "take a hit" if it turns out i buy too small and have to sell/trade it in on a loss that would amount to a loader price ;) thx