Buying Advice Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #1  

Skerby

Silver Member
Tractor
TC40DA
Greetings! I'm looking for advice on a tractor to purchase to maintain a home I'm closing on next month. Property is 20 acres, 8 of which are wooded.
I've be salivating at the TC40D w/ 0% 48 month financing!! I wonder if this is overkill for me? I'll have a 400 or so foot gravel driveway to grade every year or so, as well is plow (blade or loader?). About 5 acres is nice grass the remainaing 7 acres is poor grass/weeds (no brush/saplings). Also I'm stuck on the R4 or turf tire dilemma :( Last but not least (as far as i know), do you get the Rear Remote Valve Kit for the hoe if you buy a hoe automatically? Thanks, i've been a reader for a long time, but not much reason to post before (who wants to hear about my Craftsman mower!)

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #2  
Skerby,
I had a TC33D with a 60 inch mid mount mower and FEL that I used on my 80 acre farm. I mowed around 2 acres of nice grass and bushhogged several acres with a 60 inch Bush Hog Squealer. My land is mostly rolling and hilly characteristic of southern Indiana. This setup worked great except the tractor was a little heavy in the spring on the lawn. The R4's would be your best choice for lawn and general use. I believe that the TC40 would be a little heavy to use mowing your lawn. I've got a good used 60 inch 914A MMM for sale if you are interested. The TC33 is a sweet tractor and always had plenty of torque for my needs. It has been replaced by the 34 now. Hope I have been of help and welcome to TBN. These guys are great!

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #3  
Welcome to the forum, Skerby. I don't think the TC40D is overkill. I think it is about right for the acreage. Will you be hauling this rig? If so you have to consider at least a 10,000 lb gvw trailer and a pretty tough hauling vehicle.

The backhoe does not come with remotes. It is attached as power-beyond. If you want remotes (up to 3) you will have to add those.

Keep your Craftsman for awhile. It's pretty tough to mow close to flower beds with the TC40D.;)

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #4  
I agree with jinman... a 40hp tractor is not overkill on 20 ac.. heck.. I have a 95 hp tractor on 13 ac.. with a 72 hp tractor setting right next to it...

Soundguy

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #5  
Skerby said:
Greetings! I'm looking for advice on a tractor to purchase to maintain a home I'm closing on next month. Property is 20 acres, 8 of which are wooded.
I've be salivating at the TC40D w/ 0% 48 month financing!! I wonder if this is overkill for me? I'll have a 400 or so foot gravel driveway to grade every year or so, as well is plow (blade or loader?). About 5 acres is nice grass the remainaing 7 acres is poor grass/weeds (no brush/saplings). Also I'm stuck on the R4 or turf tire dilemma :( Last but not least (as far as i know), do you get the Rear Remote Valve Kit for the hoe if you buy a hoe automatically? Thanks, i've been a reader for a long time, but not much reason to post before (who wants to hear about my Craftsman mower!)

I was in the same boat as you. I first bought the TC 30 and it worked fine; however, I needed more FEL capacity. I now have a TC 40A. In my opinion, I would go with the TC 40. I would also suggest you go with the R4 tires. Good Luck.

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres
Thanks for all the adviced so far! Looks like you guys feel a tc40 is not overkill. So a new 40d w/ supersteer 758c hoe and 17la w/ QA brings me to about ~$31k. (then 1.4k off for $29.6k). Do you guys recommend any DIO (e.g., sunshade, rear remotes, grill guard)? thanks again, hope to be a contributer to the forum after some experience on my rig over the next year!

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #7  
Skerby said:
Thanks for all the adviced so far! Looks like you guys feel a tc40 is not overkill. So a new 40d w/ supersteer 758c hoe and 17la w/ QA brings me to about ~$31k. (then 1.4k off for $29.6k). Do you guys recommend any DIO (e.g., sunshade, rear remotes, grill guard)? QUOTE]

Wow. I have tractor envy (not for the Craftsman..:rolleyes: ). Definitely go for the r-4s, and no the TC40 is not too big for your property, it is exactly the tractor I wish I purchased when I moved onto my current place. Instead, I went for the 30HP Kubota..not enough juice, so I sold it.

As far as DIOs, I've always liked the hydraulic toplink, and you'll need remotes for that (I think), also, I've always had a grillguard.

Look forward to hearing about all your projects.

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #8  
Soundguy said:
I have a 95 hp tractor on 13 ac.. with a 72 hp tractor setting right next to it...

Soundguy

Basic tractor load :D Unless you work indooors, you can never have too much tractor.
Bob

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #9  
Skerby said:
Thanks for all the adviced so far! Looks like you guys feel a tc40 is not overkill. So a new 40d w/ supersteer 758c hoe and 17la w/ QA brings me to about ~$31k. (then 1.4k off for $29.6k). Do you guys recommend any DIO (e.g., sunshade, rear remotes, grill guard)? thanks again, hope to be a contributer to the forum after some experience on my rig over the next year!

Sunshade is nice.. and possibly a must.. I live in FL.. so it is a MUST.

Remotes are nice.. if you plan to use anything hyd external to your tractor.

Grill guard? If ya can weld.. you can tinker around and make one yourself... It would be on the bottom of my list.. with sunshade at the top, and then remotes after that.. then grillguard on the bottom.

Soundguy

/ Need Advice for tractor to support 20 acres #10  
Doc_Bob said:
Basic tractor load :D Unless you work indooors, you can never have too much tractor.
Bob

My wife used to be skeptical about having that large of a tractor on that small of a piece of dirt. however.. I demonstrated mowing one day to her.. and showed her how it takes me 1hr45m to mow the 10 ac pasture using a 15' flexwing mower.. and then reminded her that that task used to take me 5.5-6.5 hr with my old 33hp tractor and 5' mower.

Soundguy