NH versus JD

/ NH versus JD #11  
You ask why a have a tc35D and A TC 45D ! I have a whitetail deer farm and I make my WIFE work on the farm, but she uses the 35D GREAT tractors

/ NH versus JD #12  
Mike,
I looked at both Messicks and ABC Groff, but I bought the TC 29D from Lancaster Tractor. Messicks was my second choice, as they were also very easy to deal with and a bit cheaper. Lancaster Tractor really went that extra mile for my business and they are the closest to me.

/ NH versus JD #13  
Why NH TC40D

I was a phone call away from buying a JD 4400 (vs a TC33D) when I took another look at the TC40D. There are several reasons why I went with the TC40D:

- class III frame size (heavier/longer)
- 4 cylinder
- 16LA loader was made for these tractors...not an after-thought
- down-sloping hood gives great visibility when using loader and other front implements; when off, you can see everything (e.g. for mowing)
- two HST pedals on right, split steering brake on left (does NOT use the treadle pedal like the class II's)
- 5 more HP than the TC35 but the TC45 doesn't have center PTO
- great ergonomics (joystick w/HST switch, seat, tilt/telescope steering wheel,etc.)
- the "D" model has standard many things that you have to pay for separately on the JD's (e.g. deluxe 3pt hitch, folding ROPS, etc.)
- overall, the TC40D/16LA loader seems like a "modern" design while the JDs and Kubotas seem like they were designed 20 years ago and never really changed.

The TC40D is NOT the cheapest tractor out there, and the local dealer was not willing to negotiate prices, and I probably paid too much for it. But the difference in $5K or so over 20 years is easier to swallow when I knew I got what I really wanted.

Well, actually, what I REALLY wanted was a true off-road tractor, for example: Antonio Carraro TTR 4400 HST (http://www.holdertractor.com/c870h/main-c870h.html), or even a Wisconsin Engineering W-5000 (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wisconsineng.com/Tractors/English/W5000/w-5000.htm>http://www.wisconsineng.com/Tractors/English/W5000/w-5000.htm</A>), but there are no dealers anywhere near New England. And in the case of the first two, the cost was in another league than compact tractors from JD/NH/Kubota.

But as far as traditional "agricultural-type" designed tractors (large rear wheels, small front) goes, the TC40D topped my list.

/ NH versus JD #14  
Re: Why NH TC40D

Kent,

Congrats on the new tractor! You're reasons for selecting the TC40D sound very familiar.

If you like to tinker be sure to check out the thread on "Cold TC45D". kcbarnes made a post on 10/18/01 at 7:55 pm which gave part numbers and a pic for adding a valve to a coolant line to make the TCs come up to temp better in cold weather.

Since your unit is new your dealer you might be able to get your dealer to take care of this for you.

Have fun!

/ NH versus JD #15  
It was a tough choice for me also. Having two other John Deeres it was hard to switch brands. I ended up buying a NH TC45D w/ supersteer and FEL in August and have 52 hrs on it. So far I think I made the right choose for my needs. Both dealers were equal for support, helpfulness, and location. I am sure all major brands make a good machine, but I guess it comes down to personal preferences. I have had a few leaks and the cold running problem - all fixed promptly by my dealer. Below are my lists of Pros for JD and NH.

Pros for NH TC45D
1. Price - For a 4700 JD in our area was about 10% higher
2. High/low speed control for the hydrostatic transmission on the loader joystick.
3. Side mounted grease zerks on the loader. These make greasing the loader very easy. You don’t have to move the loader to several positions to grease all of the zerks.
4. Swivel seat. This makes rear work much more comfortable.
5. Ergonomically located controls.
6. Tilt/telescoping steering wheel
7. Supersteer
8. Wife liked it better - something not on the spec sheets, but sure helps when it comes to shelling out the money.

Pros for JD 4700
1. Wet clutch - I've heard a wet clutch lasts longer.
2. 2hp more power
3. Xtra armor package available
4. A little more lift capacity for the loader and 3pt
5. Mid PTO option available - not a big deal for me because I not going to do finish mowing. The TC45 does not have a mid PTO option, but the other Boomers do.
6. Transmission oil heater available, NH only offers an engine block heater

John Deere also has a spec comparison form on their web site. Click on the model you want and then click Compare. It allows you to compare to NH and Kubota. Note: It doesn't always mention features that the competitors have that Deere doesn't (example: supersteer).
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://products.deere.com/webapp/commerce/command/CategoryDisplay?path=FR&cgnbr=Tractors&cgmenbr=8416&selectedCat=148874>http://products.deere.com/webapp/commerce/command/CategoryDisplay?path=FR&cgnbr=Tractors&cgmenbr=8416&selectedCat=148874</A>

/ NH versus JD #16  
My \"add-ons\" to the price

Thanks, I already took advantage of the VERY useful information herein regarding cold TD's (http://www.mcmaster.com/) and installed the bypass valve...and yes, it works very well w/o complications. Many thanks for the exact part numbers. The installation itself took 10 minutes and a pint of lost radiator fluid. Having the picture post was all the instructions I needed!

On another but related topic (if I may), it is almost impossible for us to compare prices of the machines we want to purchase due to the way in which we have them configured. For example, I had the dealer install an ATI quick attach on the 16LA, a 4-in-1 bucket, and the hydraulics and electrical components (button and solenoid) necessary to run it. These things alone added $3100 to the price of the tractor+loader price. I also had them add another two remote circuits on the rear--one for the top link hydraulics (another $450) and another to have open for the log splitter (another $250). It can add up quickly, indeed!

/ NH versus JD #17  
When I started looking for a tractor I was all set to buy a JD, just from past experience and reputation. Then I went to the local dealer, which is only 3 miles away, and I ran into the same situation as bher did. The salesman was arogant and unwilling to deal. I also found it annoying that to try and sell his product, he had to cut down the NH dealer and tractors. So I went to my NH dealer which is 60 miles away. The dealer there was friendly and curtious, not to mention knowledgable about the tractors (they sell both NH and JD) which made the choice easier for me. To me the dealer is more important than the brand of tractor. I like good service and I expect it. Thanks to the gentlemen in Pennsboro, WV.

Solo

/ NH versus JD #18  
Where abouts are you located and what is your farms name?

/ NH versus JD #19  
<font color=blue>The loader on-paper specs were on the ?weak? side.</font color=blue> [for the TC33D]

That's why I got a Woods model 1012 FEL when I bought my TC33D. It had an extra 200# lift capacity and larger rollback and dump angles than the NH 7308 FEL. It's been working out great so far.