NH versus JD

/ NH versus JD #1  

Anonymous Poster

I was about to get a JD 4300 when my local NH dealer tried to convince me to get the TC33D. Would like to hear from NH owners about why the passed on the JDs and why I should purchase one versus the other.

My Local JD Dealer seems to be a bigger outfit than the NH dealer in both sales and service.

Thanks guys.

/ NH versus JD #2  
I have a 35D and a 45D!! I looked at the JD but I think the NH is a better. my freind has a 4600 and he likes my 45D better

/ NH versus JD #5  
I have a TC29D. When I was shopping, the comparable JD was 2K+ more than the NH. Also, I just liked the NH. It's been a great tractor. Only regret is that I didn't buy a TC40D or 45D.

/ NH versus JD #6  
The NH tc33d also seems very light. 2400 lbs versus 2900 for jd 4300.

/ NH versus JD #7  
Peter, you asked the question I was going to ask also, prw512 must be doing something right to have a tractor for each hand. He must have also liked his first NH enough to go get him another/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. Can't wait to see his answer.

As far as JD v NH , compare the options, specs, and $$$.
I'm sure for different parts of this great land, dealers are going to give you a better deal on a JD, but hear, NH was many $$$ less than the same HP JD and then NH impressed me more.
Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with Orange, Green, or Blue as long as you get the right size and setup you need off the bat. If you try to make do with something that's not what you need, no tractor company will look good to you.

gary

/ NH versus JD #8  
I went through a similar process this last summer. I was looking for a FWD 30 hp (with hydro and loader) compact from the Big Three. I looked at the JD 4300, NH TC 33D, and Kubota L3010. The Kubota B series seemed a bit too small and light and would not easily support my future sub-frame backhoe desire. In my area the pricing for JD, NH, and Kub. is very similar. I only live about 15 miles from New Holland, PA. NH has a strong market presence and great resale value in my area. What I am trying to say is that all tractors started even, as price and resale value were very similar.
The JD had the best loader and backhoe attachment and the best on-paper specs, however, it was my least favorite. The engine was noisy and vibrated a lot. The control layout was the least convenient for me. The hydro petals were awful and the transmission was not much better. The petal pressure was beyond excessive and the transmission was jerky. The JD dealer was slick, arrogant, aggressive, and borderline misleading. JD was out for me.
The NH was the most user-friendly and comfortable for me. Visibility and control layout were great. The loader joystick was in the perfect spot for me. The engine was the most quiet and vibration free. The hydro was smooth and easy to use. The loader on-paper specs were on the “weak” side. The dealer was helpful, friendly, and seemed service oriented.
The Kubota was a larger tractor than the rest. It felt very substantial and more tractor-like than the rest. It was very square, with a steel hood and fenders. The engine was smooth and quiet. The hydro was the most smooth, but the petal was not quite right for me. The controls were better than JD, but not as good as NH. Visibility was not as good as the other two. The dealer was very agreeable and accommodating.
In the end, I bought a NH TC 29D. It was in stock and I got a substantial savings over the 33. I think JD has a solid product that needs significant refining. Much of this is likely to be addressed in the new 4X10 series. JD seems to be the most aggressively marketed with the best on-paper specs. I found NH to be the most comfortable and well-engineered tractor for me. In the real world, the “weak” loader has not been an issue for me. With CaCl-filled tires and 350-pound blade on the back, the loader has begun to lift the rear of the tractor on multiple occasions. I really like the NH (30 hours so far) and have no regrets in buying it. The Kubota was clearly a strong tractor, but not quite what I was looking for. The physical size and lower visibility were drawbacks for a greenhorn like me.

/ NH versus JD #9  
Did you buy from Messicks or ABC Groff?

/ NH versus JD #10  
I will be as brief as possible.
I just got done finishing the quest for a tractor. After talking with many people and reading all the quotes on this site I decided on a TC40. My thoughts were that the Kubota was my third choice. There was a concern that parts would not be easily accessible. The dealer was ~ 40 miles away and I did not like the idea of the metal rusting and the equipment looking aged quickly.
Then looked at the JD 4500. Price was really high almost $3500 more than an equally equipped New Holland and Kubota. JD seemed to be really proud in their ability to get parts quickly (this is good news compared to the Kubota). When reading this site. I found that JD seemed to have the most issues. Also, the idea of JD holding a high value compared to the others is what I felt bogus. You pay so much for a JD you need to get a higher resale value than the others.
The question arouse: Am I buying the Name??? Dealers was about 20 miles away, which was bettter than the kubota.
Neighbor has a JD4200 and wishes he had more horsepower. But, couldn't afford it.
Went to a NH dealer. The tractor really is nice looking. Love at first site. Easy to see the loader. Price was what I felt was very good and got into a 4 cyclinder for the extra power. Read this site and the only concern with these tractors seemed to be the "running cold" issue. My NH dealer is about 20 miles away and NH uses this dealers site for all their "cold" issues. Due to the location and average temperature. They were aware of peoples concerns and of this website. So, I felt pretty comfortable. The dealer was also the nicest and most interested in me (that does help when you are plunking down 20+k). Also, heard that NH is the #1 compact seller in US.
I am now happily married to a TC40 that seems to work great. Only had it for 1 month, but have put 30 hours on it moving snow and logs. Seems to have plenty of power.
Didn't get the SS, just didn't feel like I needed to turn that quickly and the regular steering was pretty tight.

Hope this helps.