Buying Advice Advice on a Used TC45D purchase?

/ Advice on a Used TC45D purchase? #1  

kloswerkes

Tractor
TC45D ; JD 310A
First off, let me say how much this site is appreciated. I've learned things here it would have taken months/years to learn otherwise. Thanks to all who post with great information.

Here is my scenario:

Looking at purchasing a used 2001 TC45D (approx. 600 hours) w/SS, Hydro tranny, and 17LA loader, from a dealer. The non-trade/cash price they are asking is $17,500.

a) is price fair, good, or great?

b) Here is what they a quoting for accessory pricing:

Quickhitch - $330
Canopy - $550
6ft snowblower - $2000
Grill guard - $180
6ft finishing mower - $1500
6 ft rotary mower - $1600
Post hole digger - $750
Softcab - $950
Canopy - $550

Are they giving me a deal on those items, or is that about list price?

c) I don't believe it has cruise control - how important is that, and how much should I expect to pay to add it?

d) It doesn't have the Quick Tach loader/bucket - how important is that, and how much should I expect to pay to add it?

e) anyone know of any problems associated with this particular model year?

f) I know that the new models are "DA" instead of just "D". What are the differences between them?

g) Anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks for your help!

/ Advice on a Used TC45D purchase? #2  
It doesn't have the Quick Tach loader/bucket - how important is that, and how much should I expect to pay to add it?
It was important enough for me to modify mine on my 2001 tc45 ..major cost is the bucket itself .... but I can imagine the QA plus a new bucket would be close to $1k ....... I bought the $330 QA then modified my existing bucket for $150 ..... as far as the initial price $17k --- dunno --- what's a new DA with 17LA cost? If it's $5k-$7k more than I'd say it was an ok deal .... but kinda depends on your area etc...........oh yeah --- rear remotes -- you want 'em -- at least 2

/ Advice on a Used TC45D purchase? #3  
Hi and welcome to the forum.:)

I think you would be doing very well at $17,500. That tractor originally sold for around $23,500. As Mike said, I think that it's an okay deal, especially with only 600 hours. I have 1200 hours on my 2001 TC45D.

Also like Mike, I think the QA bucket would be a huge advantage. I bought a plate for $350 and a pin-on adapter for my bucket and changed mine too. Mike's welded adapter is far superior to my pin-on adapter. The weld-on plate is lighter in weight and also keeps your bucket closer to the pivot points for more curl breakout force.

Yes...get remotes...all you can afford.

Your grillguard price is fine. I'd look around some at the prices on the other stuff, particularly the posthole digger. If you don't have to have a premium brand, you can do a bunch better on the price of rotary cutters and RFMs too. Do you really need a 3PH quickhitch? You already have the adjustable 3PH arms, so connecting to implements is pretty darn easy.

The TC45D came with cruise control as standard. The button for it is a green toggle on the right fender console. Make sure it works before you buy the tractor. Cruise is important on an HST if you are mowing long runs. It will rest your foot so you don't have to hold down the HST pedal. On a gear tractor, you just set the engine speed and go. You can't do that on an HST unless you have cruise.

What to look for? Open the hood and check the battery area. If the radiator and HST cooler hoses are all rusty, negotiate a fix before buying the tractor(look behind the battery - use a light to see).

What is the difference between a "DA" and "D" model tractor? Well...yours has good looking lights instead of those ugly ones on the DA. You are a lucky man. :D

/ Advice on a Used TC45D purchase? #4  
I recently bought a 2001 model (I think. It was made in 2000) from a non-NH dealer in northern MO, as you described, except with 1200 hrs(2 remotes).

It had been used on a farm to pull a trailer for feeding cattle.

The only major flaws were rusty transmission lines by the battery, and a weather hole in the seat(back ridge). I have to fix both.

I paid 16,500. Yours is probably a better deal.

Please update with what you do on the QA. I need that, also.

I had tried(and had a verbal contract) to buy a 2002 TC40D, non SS with 16LA loader for 14,000. They had it listed(it is still on the link below) for 14,850. No remotes, but with canopy and in really good shape. I would have bought it for 14850, but they told me it had already been sold when I called to pick it up. The prime sales guy was mad at the guy who made the deal with me(I think). The karma was good, since I am really glad I got the SS, and adding the remotes would have made the price about even. The difference between non SS and SS is night and day from my perspective.

Chris

P.S. When I was looking, I used the following link to get a feel for prices. This gives all the TC45's and 40's they have.

NEW HOLLAND TC4 For Sale at TractorHouse.com

/ Advice on a Used TC45D purchase?
Thanks for your help! I checked everything you mentioned and with the exception of the usually surface rust on the plate under the battery, everything looked good. Cruise worked just like you said, and everything seemed to be in good condition. There was a squeaking sound it was making as I drove it that would come and go. Dealer said it was due to the hydraulics being cold (it was ~15 degrees out). Sound right?

I think you've convinced me on the QA plate for the loader. Where can I get the weld on piece for the bucket?

It also has one rear remote. What types of attachments would need two in the rear? Also, what type of attachment in the front would need more than the two the loader are using now?

Thanks again for sharing your expertise on this!

/ Advice on a Used TC45D purchase? #6  
My tc40d with 16la cost 19,700 plus tax new in 2002 .I think the tc45 was 1200 more then add super steer 1000 to 1200 ? Getting close it dont seem like a bad price .Ill agree check on a new one they aint getting any cheaper.My tc40 was a good tractor and the dealer and NH was easy to deal with they fixed the small bugs as in the hyro cooler needed to be beefed up with a new one .Where the hose entered the cooler it had a slight crack in the metal ,they fixed it with a new cooler.I traded in the tc40 for a tc55 i needed more hp so now i have to break in a new tractor what a chore :D

/ Advice on a Used TC45D purchase? #7  
I ran hoses from a rear remote to my grapple for up front - which meant if I wanted anything on the rear to have hyd at the same time -- ie: top link --I needed another remote. I had one when I bought, added another when I got my grapple, and am now looking at adding a third (power beyond) for a backhoe. ...... can't ever have too many remote hydraulics ... they're just handy. I ordered the weld on plate online from qualityweldingservice.com - look under mounting plates.

Thanks, great info.
So I asked the dealer how much it would cost to add another remote in front, or in back: $450 for the parts(for one), $300-$400 to install (he wasn't quite sure how long it would take.

So, $750-$850 for one remote? Wow.
Is this something I can do myself if I get the parts?
Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Or should I wait until I -need- it?

- michael

/ Advice on a Used TC45D purchase? #9  
michael,

Have a look at the link. Remote installs are very easy on a the class III boomers.

tc-40d rear remotes

Wow! That site is great! That is exactly what I needed (on how to install it).

I was being talked out of the wheel weights because they thought they'd be hard to take off, but that site makes it looks semi-painless.

Anyone out there have a source for inexpensive rear remotes for this (or New Holland parts in general)?

It looks like a few years ago, they sold for $200-$300 each.

Now list price is apparently ~$450 each? That sound right?

I have part# 718334026 for the second,
and part# 719339026 for the third.

Thank you!
- michael