TC21D with R4 Tires

/ TC21D with R4 Tires #1  

Steelfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC21D
As everyone knows by now, I've been looking at Tc21d's lately. My plans are to go, and see (most likely make an offer on) a used one. The question I have is for anyone who has a TC21d with R4 tires. The posts that I've read so far about R4 tires are about bigger heavier Tractors. I'd like to know with the roughly 1500 LBs plus MMM that a TC21D weighs will it cause problem with marking my lawn. I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to my lawn, but I don't want big marks in it either. I've been told by dealers, that R4 will not mark if you don't turn too sharp. If anyone can help please let me know. I'm most likely looking at this tractor before the end of this week, and could bring it home with me. Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me. Kent

/ TC21D with R4 Tires #2  
The dealers are correct, the R4s will not mark the lawn unless you turn very sharply. The marks that do get left, disappear in a few days. I have R4s on my TC25D.

/ TC21D with R4 Tires
Thanks MikePa, Its great to hear that. The TC21D , that I'm looking at has R4 tires on it. Do you have any kind of weight on your tractor or in your tires??? That's something else I need to resolve. Thanks again. Kent

/ TC21D with R4 Tires #4  
Nope, no weight in the tires, just the FEL and the mmm, however I did get a rear blade when I bought the tractor. I've loaded stall cleanings (manure and wood chips) into a pickup, relocated a manure pile, moved firewood and plowed snow with the FEL (lifted and dumped a heavy snow over a 5 foot fence) and have not needed to use the rear blade as a counterweight. Although in the spring I will be moving limestone with the FEL, so I will need the rear blade then, I imagine.

I have not mowed the lawn in the spring yet since I just bought the tractor in October and we had a very dry fall, so the yard was somewhat firm. Since it stayed warm so late in the year, I was cutting grass into December when we did get some much needed rain. I could identify where the tractor had been, but no worse than using my old Wheel Horse garden tractor, or a lawn mower for that matter. With the power steering on the TC25D, as well as a steering wheel spinner, it's very easy to spin the wheel, unlike the manual steering on the Wheel Horse. So, I have to remember this when backing and turning. Having experience with a garden tractor has helped since I've always tried to both make long, sweeping turns and also to keep moving, even if it means mowing over a place I have already cut versus making a 3 point turn.