Buying Advice Need Backhoe Advice

/ Need Backhoe Advice #11  
The TC45 does not qualify as an older tractor, and it is not nessessary to remove the three point arms to install the subframe and backhoe.

Hopefully here is a link to the Woods installation manual:
http://www.woodsequipment.com/Manuals/manuals/SubFrames/MAN0543.pdf

If the above link doesn't work just go to the Woods website.

I've helped install a number of Woods backhoes on TC Boomers and we've never removed the lift arms and they work fine.

That said, perhaps there is a reason your dealer did it differently.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am a "newbie" salesman with but 18mons on the job and NO prior tractor experience {there is a current thread on this board ripping dolts like me :)} but I am of the opinion that the best way to learn is to do, so I often assist in the assembly and installation of tractors and attachments I sell (got coveralls for Christmas from my parents for just that reason :cool:)...

/ Need Backhoe Advice #12  
We have a 758C on our 2003 TC40D. We purchased the hoe back in Feb of 2003 for $6,200.00 not including tax. As said above, the 758C is easy to remove and install on the tractor and it's a one person job....once you get good at it, it takes about 5 minutes to take off and no more than 10 to get back on...your mileage might vary. We have used it for quite a bit of trenching and stump digging. Let us know if you have specific questions about the unit.

/ Need Backhoe Advice #13  
ODT said:
"The Woods models require the 3 point arms to be removed and stored in order to install the backhoe. This can be a pain as you could misplace the arms or they could get damaged inadvertantly when not installed...It runs from a PTO pump and seperate hydraulic reservoir so power is more consistant but noise levels will be higher as the PTO will be spinning away right under you moving fluid through the pump."

Actually the Woods subframes do not require removel of the three point arms, just the stabilizers. Perhaps you were thinking of the older style Woods arrangement (for older tractors), but the current 4 pt variety for the TC series is fairly easy to attach/unattach with a bit of practice.

I've got the Woods 4 pt subframe on my TC33D. I do need to unhook the stabilizer arms from the tractor end (no tools required), but they stay attached on the 3 pt hitch arm end. I can get the backhoe off in about 5 minutes. Putting it on takes me a bit longer... under 10 minutes if I've done it recently, a bit longer if it's been a while. If I used it regularly, I know I could improve on the times.

Also, we run the hoes via tractor remotes eliminating the noise/hassle of a seperate PTO pump.

I use a PTO pump on my set-up... I prefer to keep the backhoe hydraulics separate from the tractor hydraulics. I don't even notice the noise of the PTO pump... in fact I was surprised to hear anyone even refer to it.

/ Need Backhoe Advice
Red_Dog said:
We have a 758C on our 2003 TC40D. We purchased the hoe back in Feb of 2003 for $6,200.00 not including tax. As said above, the 758C is easy to remove and install on the tractor and it's a one person job....once you get good at it, it takes about 5 minutes to take off and no more than 10 to get back on...your mileage might vary. We have used it for quite a bit of trenching and stump digging. Let us know if you have specific questions about the unit.

What size stumps were you digging? What limitations have you experienced w/ the hoe?

Thanks

/ Need Backhoe Advice #15  
I have the new Woods BH-90X hoe on my TC55DA I purchase last fall. It's a work horse and much more powerful than the 80x that i had first purchased and took back after the first 10 minutes of use. Don't undersize your hoe for your tractor. I learned that quick. You'll be disappointed and it'll work like a tinker toy. My dealer also told me it was absolutely necessary to take the 3-point arms off so i've been doing it. I'm going to look and see if it's necessary, I just always did it to get them outta the way.

I agree with John, I have the PTO pump on mine even though I have 3 remotes on my tractor......the dealer suggested the pump and not to use the remotes......and I can't even tell when i turn the PTO on.....NO NOISE on this one yet anyway.....Personal opinion but I think the Woods is a better hoe than the NH......but I haven't actually used the NH.......I sure wouldn't hesitate competing against it though.

/ Need Backhoe Advice #16  
Kubotasrking said:
What size stumps were you digging? What limitations have you experienced w/ the hoe?

Thanks

We generally dig 12" to 18" Jack & Norway pine stumps out of sandy soil. If we were tackling Oaks or something bigger the hoe would be hard pressed to get them out I would think. A bigger, more powerful hoe would be wonderful, but for our Class III boomer it's a good match. Limitations are hard to comment on as everyones perspective is different. To be honest, the limitations that we have run into have been the inexperience of the operator! :eek: As I dig more stumps, I learn better techniques and find the sweet spots for the hoe which inflict the most damage/leverage to the stump and ripping roots. Hope that explains it a little better...if not, ask away. Matt.

/ Need Backhoe Advice #17  
Make sure the NH hoe has a power setting on the bucket like the Woods. It's just another pin hole that changes the leverage but It sure does work well for cutting through roots when digging stumps.

/ Need Backhoe Advice #18  
The 758C backhoe does not have a power setting, only one set of holes for pins. Bill C

/ Need Backhoe Advice #19  
CJ4 said:
I have the new Woods BH-90X hoe on my TC55DA I purchase last fall. .... My dealer also told me it was absolutely necessary to take the 3-point arms off so i've been doing it. I'm going to look and see if it's necessary, I just always did it to get them outta the way.

CJ

I only have to remove my stablizers off my 3-pt arms with my BH-90X on my TC40DA, not sure why the 55 would be any different. Popping the BH on/off is pretty easy... 2 bolts, hoses and reinstalling the stabilizers and that's it.

Did you get the Woods installation manual as well as the Operator's manual? It may even be available online and should state exactly what you need to do with your 3-pt system. Mine was very clear, but then again it only covered TC35, 40 & 45 series tractors.

/ Need Backhoe Advice #20  
David,

I looked in the manual and it did only say remove the stabalizers where they hook to the tractor but that's all it said......wasn't real clear to remove the whole arms or not. So you remove the stabilizers completely....ie: at both ends where they hook to the arms and the tractor? If so, will the arms swing over and hit the tires or not???