Buying Advice Need Backhoe Advice

/ Need Backhoe Advice #1  

Kubotasrking

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TC45D
I posted a thread a few days back in attachments with little success. I am heading off to the dealer Tuesday to p/u my new grapple, and wanted some advice on the purchase of a backhoe. He quoted my $7000 for the NH758c.

He is also a Woods dealer, and many other tractor/implement dealers are in my area.

What is the best unit for the money?

/ Need Backhoe Advice #2  
I'd suggest you take a hard look at the Woods. New Holland ho's are fine, but the Woods are better in my opinion, and typically can be had for less.

Bradco is another alternative, but you will likely pay more than the New Holland price.

I work for a New Holland dealer and we suggest Woods ho's for homeowners w' TN's and under. However, we push Bradco hoes for "earnin' applications"--folks who have a skid steer/CUT and use the ho as part of making a living.

Is the Bradco that much better of a ho? I'm honestly not sure, and ten people may have ten different opinions on the matter. From a practical perspective, both companies make quality products and stand behind their respective units. Bradco does have a more recognizable name on the skid steer/industrial side which is certainly a large part of the reason we recommend them for such. Likewise for Woods on the homeowner side (rotary cutters, finish mowers, et al).

In my opinion, you would be fine with any of the units mentioned above.

/ Need Backhoe Advice #3  
Someone is shooting a little high on a backhoe price.
Rhino is the builder of the factor New Holland backhoe.
I can more than likely put a rhino on your front step in new holland blue with a subframe and all hydraulic hook up for around $6k if not less.

/ Need Backhoe Advice
wallace said:
Someone is shooting a little high on a backhoe price.
Rhino is the builder of the factor New Holland backhoe.
I can more than likely put a rhino on your front step in new holland blue with a subframe and all hydraulic hook up for around $6k if not less.

It appears you are a woods dealer also. I'd be interested in your price quote for both the woods and rhino.

Thanks

/ Need Backhoe Advice #5  
Bob, I will get you them tomorrow.
Do you want the biggest you can put on or just one to get the job done.

/ Need Backhoe Advice
wallace said:
Bob, I will get you them tomorrow.
Do you want the biggest you can put on or just one to get the job done.

I think the biggest that will not damage the tractor.

/ Need Backhoe Advice #7  
Another consideration is your intent of installing and removing the backhoe.
Are you going to install it and leave it on or will you need to take it off to run rotary cutters and other implements on occasion?

The Woods models require the 3 point arms to be removed and stored in order to install the backhoe. This can be a pain as you could misplace the arms or they could get damaged inadvertantly when not installed. The Woods backhoe is a great backhoe and the new excavator styled curved boom is nice. It runs from a PTO pump and seperate hydraulic reservoir so power is more consistant but noise levels will be higher as the PTO will be spinning away right under you moving fluid through the pump. The controls are pretty straight foward but I feel the "feedback" from the control sticks is a little vague. The only other item of concern with these hoes is that the platform for your feet is very small and doesnt afford room to shift your feet around to get comfortable after hours of operating the hoe. Again, this is just my opinion, your results may vary. :)

The NH backhoe is also nice and it does not require the 3pt arms to be removed to install it. After all, it was designed to "fit" the NH tractor. Here is the blurb from the NH site..."Attaching and detaching the backhoe is a quick, easy one-man job. The subframe remains attached to the backhoe and the three-point lift arms stay on the tractor. To hook up, just back over the subframe and quick-couple the hydraulics. Position the self-aligning rear hangers and raise the front of the subframe hydraulically. Secure it to the front hangers with two pins, and you're finished". It runs off the tractor hydraulics and simply fits the tractor better and is closer to the back of the tractor than the Woods model. The seat is very comfortable and the controls have good "feel" with positive feedback. It operates quieter than the Woods and there is more overall room for the operator.

A few final thoughts, regardless of what you buy, you MUST get a subframe! Dont let the dealer tell you you dont need one. We dont sell any hoes without subframes. We have had several tractors come in that were literally "broken in half" by excessive backhoe use, like busting out a big stump. NH will not warranty the tractor repair if a Woods BH breaks it in half but Woods will pay for the repair, ONLY if a subframe was installed. Makes sense obviously, the subframe will keep the tractor from breaking in half so the warranty wont be a big issue for them. The NH backhoes come standard with a subframe for obvious reasons.

Please consider these items before making your buying decision. You will likely have the tractor for a while and the convenience of installing and removing the backhoe or any attachment for that matter will become more important over time. Also consider your ground digging conditions; sandy, rocky, shale, hard-pack, clay,...and fit the hoe with the proper bucket and teeth for those conditions. It may cost a little extra for a heavy duty bucket etc, but the results you get and the effectiveness of the right equipment will help it perform better under less stress and will last longer...ulitmately making you a happy owner! :D

Thanks,
Larry

/ Need Backhoe Advice #8  
Some free advice...

I'd go for the NH/Rino/Alamo hoes; Wallace is right there.

Larry, I didn't know that there was a subframe available for a 759C mounted to a NH TN-series tractor :D I'd heartily agree that the HD bucket is the way to go, unless you always plan on digging only in soft, sandy soils.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Larry-On-The-Hilltop

/ Need Backhoe Advice #9  
"The Woods models require the 3 point arms to be removed and stored in order to install the backhoe. This can be a pain as you could misplace the arms or they could get damaged inadvertantly when not installed...It runs from a PTO pump and seperate hydraulic reservoir so power is more consistant but noise levels will be higher as the PTO will be spinning away right under you moving fluid through the pump."

Actually the Woods subframes do not require removel of the three point arms, just the stabilizers. Perhaps you were thinking of the older style Woods arrangement (for older tractors), but the current 4 pt variety for the TC series is fairly easy to attach/unattach with a bit of practice.

Also, we run the hoes via tractor remotes eliminating the noise/hassle of a seperate PTO pump.

Admittedly, it's been some time since I've seen a NH hoe setup, so you may well be right about the overall fit/ease.

/ Need Backhoe Advice #10  
Actually the Woods subframes do not require removel of the three point arms, just the stabilizers.........Guess I'll have to take a better look at my new 80x on my 2001 TC45... the dealer just installed it and I have about 15 minutes on it -- but he removed the arms and stabilizers. Does a 2001 qualify as an "older tractor"? I'll be back at the property tomorrow.