Which FEL is better ????

/ Which FEL is better ???? #1  

Polesetter

Tractor
TC26DA
I have a 2005 TC26DA and would like to know which FEL is better. There are 2 choices New Holland offers a 230TL or 12LA. My dealer locally has both for the same price. Is one better than the other? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

/ Which FEL is better ???? #2  
Check the performance specs on both -- Breakout force, lift at pins, height, etc. Also look at how it sits compared to your front wheels -- the reach might be important if loading into a pickup or something. Bucket shapes may vary, too. One with a more forward jutting lower edge can be handier if you carry stuff longer than the bucket is wide. For that matter, bucket width may not be the same, or capacity in cubic feet.

/ Which FEL is better ???? #3  
Looks like the specs are about the same (I found the 230TL on NH site and the 12LA on another site). I think the 230 lifted 2 inches higher or something like that. Other than that every other spec matched up. According to NH website it looks like they made it easier to put it back on - not that the 12LA is hard by any means. If it were me and they were the same price, I would probably go for the new one. Of course, the 12LA has been around a few years so they've sold a bunch of them so parts availability should be find for several years. I would probably still go with the new design though. When I bought, I could've gotten a 12LA or 1706. I went with the 12LA. Of course it completely outspeced the 1706 so it was a no-brainer then.

/ Which FEL is better ???? #4  
I don't know the NH loaders but if one of them is curved that would be an advantage all other specs being essentially equal. Curved loaders improve your forward vision. I think Bob Sturka has a post from a year ago or so where he demonstrated this with someone sitting in front of the tractor while he took photos from the drivers seat.

/ Which FEL is better ???? #5  
IslandTractor said:
I don't know the NH loaders but if one of them is curved that would be an advantage all other specs being essentially equal. Curved loaders improve your forward vision.
Both of the NH loaders are curved. The 12LA is their 1st Generation curved arm loader. The 230TL is the 2nd Generation loader. It has a higher vertical lift height.

/ Which FEL is better ???? #6  
Bob_Skurka said:
Both of the NH loaders are curved. The 12LA is their 1st Generation curved arm loader. The 230TL is the 2nd Generation loader. It has a higher vertical lift height.

How do they go from 12LA to 230TL?? Someone at NH should come up with a more logical naming convention to keep from confusing us. ;)

/ Which FEL is better ???? #7  
IslandTractor said:
How do they go from 12LA to 230TL?? Someone at NH should come up with a more logical naming convention to keep from confusing us. ;)

Oh just wait, in a few months its going to get even worse. They are renaming everything to the most confusing scheme you can imagine.

/ Which FEL is better ???? #8  
MessickFarmEqu said:
Oh just wait, in a few months its going to get even worse. They are renaming everything to the most confusing scheme you can imagine.

Islandtractor said:
ow do they go from 12LA to 230TL?? Someone at NH should come up with a more logical naming convention to keep from confusing us. ;)

Hey, them larger manufactures if they didn't change numbers all the time they would have to lay off part of their work force.:D They have people on staff that is all they do, change part numbers to confuse us and every one else.:D :rolleyes:

/ Which FEL is better ???? #9  
thcri said:
Hey, them larger manufactures if they didn't change numbers all the time they would have to lay off part of their work force.:D They have people on staff that is all they do, change part numbers to confuse us and every one else.:D :rolleyes:

HA! Murph, I think you have "cracked the code" on that one. Just imagine how many new jobs will be created to just keep up with the model decals.:rolleyes:

BTW: I've noticed on at least one of the new loaders that there is more extensive use of hoses over steel piping. That might be a consideration. I can't swear to this, but it seems I saw that on one of the 270TL loaders. Maybe someone who actually owns a new loader will let us know. I prefer rigid hydraulic lines where possible.

/ Which FEL is better ???? #10  
IslandTractor said:

Yeah, like JD uses -- talk about a confusing array of supposedly chronological model nomenclature!

I think the problem is a rapid turnover of middle level management or engineers. Every new guy wants to put his mark on the system so comes up with a new and "improved" system to designate the different models in the lineup, regardless of what went before.